Football Manager 2015 Features Video Official Feedback Thread

No info? How about this then?

Neil Brock Quote

Just to clarify, AI improving squad building is not a feature. It's something that we do every version as we're always looking to improve it. The transfer market and how it works always undergoes work 'under the hood' so to speak. Given the importance now being given to player roles and as Miles said, how the AI now uses roles more effectively then this is something they'll be looking at in terms of squad building.

== end

Edit: Guys, this is a complex module in the game. There might not be anything specific, apart from what Neil mentioned, but they always working on it and fine-tuning things. If you find anything regarding illogical transfers or squad building in future, please report it.

That's just marketing blurb for "we really don't think our improvements in this area are worth talking about". Very sad.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about SI not speaking about improvements in the ME; could it not just be that it's very hard to quantify the incremental improvements they make without descending into programming/AI speak? I'm not sure what kind of information people want to see in what is essentially a marketing pitch. The fix-lists that come with patch releases are normally extremely detailed, but I'm not sure things like the Features Video are the place for that level of detail.

That's just marketing blurb for "we really don't think our improvements in this area are worth talking about". Very sad.
Apart from the AI choosing players based on roles rather than general positions, you mean?

14th October on the Football Manager Facebook page :

And yet absolutely everywhere else, and every other time they've run a beta bar none, it's been around two weeks. It will continue to be around 2 weeks. As in they'll aim for it to be Friday, but it could be later/earlier/never.

Is there any improvements with the Australian League this year? Last time round, a few particular clubs used to release almost all their players at the end of the season, and then only have 8 senior players or something on their team list. Also, no matter what happens, the A-league always seems to plunge down the Asian league standings list really quick. Compared to the other Asian leagues, its still a relatively strong league.

14th October on the Football Manager Facebook page :

What think will (as always) be the biggest problem is that 99% of public beta testers do not understand what a beta is about. They will show up here screaming and yelling that there is a corner/keeper/striker/tactic or whatever bug and the game is totally unplayable.

And an hour or two later they will come back and complain that it hasn't been fixed yet.

Posts like yours indicate that you might be prone to that behaviour as well...

What think will (as always) be the biggest problem is that 99% of public beta testers do not understand what a beta is about. They will show up here screaming and yelling that there is a corner/keeper/striker/tactic or whatever bug and the game is totally unplayable.

And an hour or two later they will come back and complain that it hasn't been fixed yet.

Posts like yours indicate that you might be prone to that behaviour as well...

If that's what you think Yogi , then good for you I guess.

While you're up there on your pedestal looking down on the commoners who "Don't understand a what a beta is about" , maybe you should consider the stated reasons for why FM has the patch schedule it has and why patches are not rushed out.

You could then compare that to the length of time between when the BETA starts and when the game goes live. Fell free to post back your conclusions.

People like you need to remember the game won't be perfect , there are going to be problems with the ME , there ALWAYS are. If you don't want to see criticisms or debates on the ME you should stay out of the impressions threads for the sake of your sanity.

Can't understand the complaints about press conferences. One of the biggest jobs a manager has is talking to the press. It should follow that a good manager sim should include a lot of press interaction.

It's not to everyone's taste, and I don't really have a problem with it, just the way it's implemented in the game. On a career save it's very time consuming to be asked repetitive questions week after week, seeing the same media comments every day. I can a play an entire season in 1 day, but if I was to take up the press conferences then in that day I would have attended over 700 press conferences in one sitting of FM - all the same questions, same responses and lack of any sort of realism.

It's not to everyone's taste, and I don't really have a problem with it, just the way it's implemented in the game. On a career save it's very time consuming to be asked repetitive questions week after week, seeing the same media comments every day. I can a play an entire season in 1 day, but if I was to take up the press conferences then in that day I would have attended over 700 press conferences in one sitting of FM - all the same questions, same responses and lack of any sort of realism.

I agree with this, press conferences is for me the most useless feature of FM. It's getting boring after one season already, on a career save it's just annoying.

Unfortunately having introduced press conference's they can't back track and remove them.

Everyone knows they are currently pants so they are forced to try and improve them. Having spent time improving them they might as well push them as a 'feature' for the release of FM15 even though the vast majority don't care.

As long as we can get our assman to deal with them and we don't SUFFER as a result of him saying stupid things that's fine by me.

At the end of the day, I paid £23 for the game, yes I want everything you guys want but if it's not up to scratch again...its only £23! For the amount of hours I play it it's the cheapest hobby I've ever had. Unlike the £59 + money to buy UT packs that's happening to many people on FIFA for an extremely substandard product. The one thing I can give SI credit for is they've kept the game affordable and if you don't like it then there's only £23 down the drain...don't go to the pub for one week and you'll save your money.

I'm a little afraid that SI has put to much resources/budget into the motion capturing stuff and that there will be less or no improvement in other areas. But i still preordered :)

At the end of the day, I paid £23 for the game, yes I want everything you guys want but if it's not up to scratch again...its only £23!

It's not about the money, i just want the perfect game that suits my needs. Sadly this will never happen.

Unfortunately having introduced press conference's they can't back track and remove them.

Why not?

SI have introduced things in the past and then removed them in later versions. A good example would be daily training, it wasn't very popular with the community and got removed for an alternative in a later version.

Everyone knows they are currently pants so they are forced to try and improve them. Having spent time improving them they might as well push them as a 'feature' for the release of FM15 even though the vast majority don't care.

As long as we can get our assman to deal with them and we don't SUFFER as a result of him saying stupid things that's fine by me.

I doubt the vast majority of players leave them to their AMs tbh.

I think you'll find a number of players deal with them even if they find them a little repetitive.

The thing is, media interaction itself isn't really the issue- it's the implementation of it. It is recognised as being dull and repetitive, especially in longer term games, and it doesn't add hugely to gameplay. The problem is that SI's answer to this repetitiveness appears to be to add a lot more of it, with some different questions, whilst keeping the same "pick from five options and get an email based on one of the questions" setup. That isn't addressing the core problem- there's nothing particularly exciting or interesting in doing things that way, over and over again. The overhaul it needs to become a valuable and fun part of the game is much greater than that.

The thing is, media interaction itself isn't really the issue- it's the implementation of it. It is recognised as being dull and repetitive, especially in longer term games, and it doesn't add hugely to gameplay. The problem is that SI's answer to this repetitiveness appears to be to add a lot more of it, with some different questions, whilst keeping the same "pick from five options and get an email based on one of the questions" setup. That isn't addressing the core problem- there's nothing particularly exciting or interesting in doing things that way, over and over again. The overhaul it needs to become a valuable and fun part of the game is much greater than that.

But is there a "fun" way to replicate what is essentially a fairly tedious operation in real life? Sure some press conferences might end up being interesting in real life, but the vast majority are the same safe questions being asked, and answered blandly. I can't think of a way to make that part fun off the top of my head, apart from making things a little less multiple choice, and a bit more "intelligent".

At the end of the day, I paid £23 for the game, yes I want everything you guys want but if it's not up to scratch again...its only £23! For the amount of hours I play it it's the cheapest hobby I've ever had. Unlike the £59 + money to buy UT packs that's happening to many people on FIFA for an extremely substandard product. The one thing I can give SI credit for is they've kept the game affordable and if you don't like it then there's only £23 down the drain...don't go to the pub for one week and you'll save your money.

This is what I've always said to people, this game is very cheap for the amount of game time it offers and the replayability. But this opens up a whole new debate, people like it because it's cheap and people who would want it to get a whole lot better and would also be willing to pay more. I would pay more to help SI make it into the perfect game, but I'm also happy with how the game is developing right now.

I agree with this, press conferences is for me the most useless feature of FM. It's getting boring after one season already, on a career save it's just annoying.

The thing is - you can basically turn them off by getting the assman to do it for you.

I don't mind that it's in the game, I just ignore them. Especially when a manager makes a comment at me and I'm prompted to respond. Even though the assman is assigned to press conferences, I'm still asked to comment on some media options.

Wish there was a way to avoid them altogether.

Maybe hire a press officer. Or something like that.

How much different will the full game be to the beta?

Not very different at all. There's usually a release day *erm* update to fix any issues picked up during public beta, so the full version will just have a few more fixes. :)

Patches are usually

Few days after full release

End of November

Just before Christmas

End of Feb/Mar

Final update in April

The only ones there is usually, and even those aren't set in stone, are the middle three. As far as I remember, there isn't one as a matter of habit after the January Transfers update. It might be 15.1 November-ish, 15.2 around Christmas, then 15.3 to close it all out in February/March. Any other minor increments in between that will be added if necessary, probably in the 15.0.x cycle.

Or they could throw a curveball and release twenty updates. Or none. There's no set schedule beyond what we're already used to.

Patches are usually

Few days after full release

End of November

Just before Christmas

End of Feb/Mar

Final update in April

Urm, what?

For as long as I can remember there has been three updates/patches.

1. Just after release, anywhere from same day to about a week after.

2. Sometime in December.

3. After the transfer windows have closed sometime in March.

Would I need to start my career again to benefit from the updates?

no, they'd just be bug fixes

and I'm more personally waiting for the idiots that don't understand what beta means and report the "gamebreaking" bugs the day after the beta drops

Would I need to start my career again to benefit from the updates?

Not usually.

ME updates take effect immediately, some other bits after your next season update.

The only thing you need to start a new save for is the database updates.

Urm, what?

For as long as I can remember there has been three updates/patches.

1. Just after release, anywhere from same day to about a week after.

2. Sometime in December.

3. After the transfer windows have closed sometime in March.

Well you're wrong. I looked it up.

Where???

Any updates outside of those three have generally been hot fixes for glaring bugs introduced in a patch.

I can't see how anyone who is familiar with the FM patching patterns in the last 10 years can say any different.

But is there a "fun" way to replicate what is essentially a fairly tedious operation in real life? Sure some press conferences might end up being interesting in real life, but the vast majority are the same safe questions being asked, and answered blandly. I can't think of a way to make that part fun off the top of my head, apart from making things a little less multiple choice, and a bit more "intelligent".

Well, that's the crunch question. Personally, I think there can be- if you think about it, a lot of what we do in game as managers is actually quite tedious. Taking a step back, this is a game in which quite an important part- several parts, in fact- is based around negotiating contracts. That hardly sounds like a barrel of laughs, but there certainly isn't the same resistance to that module of the game compared with the media interaction one. Nobody has really stepped up to defend the media module as it stands, and the fact that it's been a key area of development shown in the video suggests SI are aware of that.

And, to show I'm not just wholly ragging on SI, the distinction now made between broadsheet and tabloid could be a step in the right direction. In the modern day game, the media can make or break managers- I'm sure we can all think of RL managers whose track records are dodgy, but who are media darlings so they keep getting jobs, and, likewise, managers who have been treated rather harshly after the papers turned on them or came up with some revelation. In FM, this influence is entirely absent. As it stands, it makes no difference whatsoever who it is asking questions. I couldn't tell you the name of any of the journalists or news sources who turn up at the press conferences. They may well have stats and personalities (as I think they do?), but there is literally no difference in their approach, their wording of questions- there is nothing to differentiate them, and it's all too repetitive to navigate what is often only two- in some cases only one- sensible choices from the five available.

Tones tie in with this- I'll ask outright now, does anyone in this thread routinely change their tone for press conferences from the default "Calm"? I do for the odd question, but generally it seems pointless. Again, there is no obvious effect, aside from changing the adjective in an email. Maybe one or two players will get a "likes/dislikes pre-math comments" buff- and even then, it takes straying from the well-worn track of dull platitudes. What about the people actually consuming the news and using to help shape their opinion of the manager, the supporters? They're upset we drew with a team who were above us, but they don't give a damn that I'm telling the world this 16-year-old kid is going to be the next Messi?

I don't know exactly how you would implement it as a feature- I don't know exactly how to make what is there "fun". But what I would say is that the fun of the game comes from the depth it has- it always has- and media interaction as it is currently set up feels very shallow compared to the other modules. It doesn't feel like it matters, and partaking in it doesn't do much to add to enjoyment of the game as a whole.

no, they'd just be bug fixes

and I'm more personally waiting for the idiots that don't understand what beta means and report the "gamebreaking" bugs the day after the beta drops

So what is a beta for if not for reporting bugs , sir ?

Lasy year was an exception because it was the first year of a pretty significant ME rewrite and the ME was in a sorry state for a while. It was certainly not the norm as far as FM patching usually goes.

press conferences should be made optional, just like playing with hidden attributes is.

I find it rather confusing, when its convenient real life and realism are mentioned, but if real life is the goal, then why not force people to play the full 90? remove player search? make it much much harder, so people cant gain promotion from non-league to the premier league in a matter of 5-6 seasons and champoins in the 7 season. Using reality as an excuse is a no go, it´s stupid and should stop.

It´s so simple it hurts..

My last save lasted about 20-25 seasons, this multiplied by roughly 70 games and a press conference before and after, plus those questions based on what another manager said. The same **** again and again and again. Fm is a tedious game, time consuming too, but shouldnt be just for the sake of it.

Hopefully real life isn´t the goal, otherwise this game would be way too time consuming. It´s a matter of introducing reality and the perfect game world to each other. To me, the perfect solution is to give me - the player - the possibility to design a game world that meets my preferences. Just like the hidden attributes thing. You gave us a choice, just like with fm and fm classic. or adding/removing a league. I also don´t ude player search, because that is a part of my perfect gaming world. I know, that not every feature can be made optional, but this goddamn one should. Each and every year we have this debate, which quite frankly coulde be solved rather easy i imagine.

By.. drums please.. making it optional, we all win.

It´s the future SI, you know it, i know it and everyone knows it, ;)

With Miles discussing the whole two different managers field coach or tracksuit coach type thing my question is I'm a kind of person who likes to rebuild within the club, so then if we do bad for a bit but I'm all about spending money on youth and developing youth to bring up to our main squad.... which coach would that fall under

I find it rather confusing, when its convenient real life and realism are mentioned, but if real life is the goal, then why not force people to play the full 90? remove player search? make it much much harder, so people cant gain promotion from non-league to the premier league in a matter of 5-6 seasons and champoins in the 7 season. Using reality as an excuse is a no go, it´s stupid and should stop.

Player search has been removed (Its now based on your scouting knowledge) and anyone who goes non-league to PL in 6 seasons is probably exploiting the game in some way.

press conferences should be made optional, just like playing with hidden attributes is.

My last save lasted about 20-25 seasons, this multiplied by roughly 70 games and a press conference before and after, plus those questions based on what another manager said. The same **** again and again and again. Fm is a tedious game, time consuming too, but shouldnt be just for the sake of it.

Why don't you just get your assistant to attend all the press conferences? That's pretty much the option to turn them off or on.

Why don't you just get your assistant to attend all the press conferences? That's pretty much the option to turn them off or on.

Unfortunately, giving press conferences, team talks, etc. to the Assistant Manager doesn't completely rid the Manager of any fallout. I gave mine to my Assistant only to have players want to discuss with me my bad team talks. When I posted this as a bug in the forums, I was told that even though the Assistant is giving the talks - wherever they are - the game treats its as if it is the Manager giving them, meaning that any consequences don't go to the Assistant. I ended up doing my own talks again because I didn't want to deal with an inept Assistant and me getting blamed for his mistakes. I'll get blamed for my own ones :)

Player search has been removed (Its now based on your scouting knowledge) and anyone who goes non-league to PL in 6 seasons is probably exploiting the game in some way.

Wait are you saying we cannot search any player, at all?

Where???

Any updates outside of those three have generally been hot fixes for glaring bugs introduced in a patch.

I can't see how anyone who is familiar with the FM patching patterns in the last 10 years can say any different.

What?

I gave official patch dates, based on dates previously done.

What's your problem?

Archived