Might as well not have a goalkeeper.......

Anyone having this problem where the opposing team only has 1 shot on target in a whole game, and scores with that only shot, and it happens for several matches in a row regardless of how good your keeper is? When I say 1 shot on target it can come from anywhere, free kicks, long shots, corners, in the penalty area, and sometimes they can even score without a shot at goal (i.e. fluke goals) for the entire game. Is this a bug or am I totally devoid of any luck in terms of keeping clean sheets?

People will tell you that it's as a result of 'your tactics'.

Which it is to some extent.

Often as a result of building an overall tactic that focuses on dominating possession and therefore the flipside is that these type of formations/tactics are often weaker at dealing with counter attacks resulting in the other team scoring from limited good opportunities. Or as the OP has identified from a set piece.

To the OP its certainly harder to keep clean sheets on this version and this tends to be following the pattern of RL where more goals are being scored than a few seasons ago. I find on FM you get spells where you keep clean sheets then spells where you seem to concede more. Your keeper does make a difference though and there is a noticeable difference between a good one and an average one.

Which it is to some extent.

Often as a result of building an overall tactic that focuses on dominating possession and therefore the flipside is that these type of formations/tactics are often weaker at dealing with counter attacks resulting in the other team scoring from limited good opportunities. Or as the OP has identified from a set piece.

To the OP its certainly harder to keep clean sheets on this version and this tends to be following the pattern of RL where more goals are being scored than a few seasons ago. I find on FM you get spells where you keep clean sheets then spells where you seem to concede more. Your keeper does make a difference though and there is a noticeable difference between a good one and an average one.

Thanks a lot guys, I agree about the flipside being susceptible to counter attacks. IRL more teams now play high pressing and quick counters rather than the possession based play Bayern currently employs, and my save is no less different due to my all conquering Liverpool. My 1st choice keeper is Marc Andre ter Stegen, 2nd choice Simon Mignolet. I'm quite sure ter Stegen is exceptional for his stats, but he seems to be conceding a ridiculous proportion of long shots. Any advice on how I can rectify this rather problematic issue?

Keepers get all the blame :(

Sometimes I do think that way, although I try not to, because I wonder why keepers nowhere near the quality of my keeper can make several saves (even though I managed to score goals), whereas my world class keeper can't even keep the ball out. But I also wonder if it could be due to the fact that I play 2 CWBs (with instructions to get further forward and stay wider)..... taking a good look at my tactics now.

Thanks a lot guys, I agree about the flipside being susceptible to counter attacks. IRL more teams now play high pressing and quick counters rather than the possession based play Bayern currently employs, and my save is no less different due to my all conquering Liverpool. My 1st choice keeper is Marc Andre ter Stegen, 2nd choice Simon Mignolet. I'm quite sure ter Stegen is exceptional for his stats, but he seems to be conceding a ridiculous proportion of long shots. Any advice on how I can rectify this rather problematic issue?

Have you tried other keepers? Do they fair worse, better, much the same?

Never had a huge problem with long shots tbh, the key is to identify where/who they are coming from, strikers/AMCs/MCs and work out if its better to close them down or to drop back and create a shield in front of your DCs.

With my current club I've actually given up this season playing with a DM (Unless the opposition have an AMC) simply because I didn't feel he added much, the opposition still seemed to be able to find space and take shots from in front of my DCs so I've gone for two up front instead and leaving the midfield to close down earlier. I still concede more than I've done on any recent FM version but I also have more attacking threat now.

With my current club I've actually given up this season playing with a DM (Unless the opposition have an AMC) simply because I didn't feel he added much, the opposition still seemed to be able to find space and take shots from in front of my DCs so I've gone for two up front instead and leaving the midfield to close down earlier. I still concede more than I've done on any recent FM version but I also have more attacking threat now.

really?

huh

I find a DM integral to my tactics (DR auto, DC limited cover, DC limited stopper, DL auto, DM halfback, MC centremid auto, MC adplaymaker attack) and have pretty good success with it

pretty good success: keeping FC Bayern to under 5 total shots on goal over 2 legs in my CL semi, keeping RealMadrid shot-less at home

things I'd like to see in FM15: the AI managers getting slaughtered if that happened (seriously, if I can travel as underdogs [as the game calls it] and keep RealMadrid with 0 shots at home, and FCBayern to under 5 shots over 2 legs, then they'd be lynched IRL)

I've had the same with goalies letting lots of high placed shots in. That was until I got a goalie with high aerial ability. That made a huge impact even though he was worse on most other parameters. With the lower goalie sometimes slow, but high, shots would easily fly over him. But now the shots get caught or pushed over the bar.

I've had the same with goalies letting lots of high placed shots in. That was until I got a goalie with high aerial ability. That made a huge impact even though he was worse on most other parameters. With the lower goalie sometimes slow, but high, shots would easily fly over him. But now the shots get caught or pushed over the bar.

For sure, a good goalkeeper is a lifesaver. I had Hartley in the Blue Square on 12 and he's too good for that league. He was a solid rock there, keeping out anything that got beyond the defence, which was quite a lot at that level.

But they're a weird bunch to be honest, sometimes it's the ones with worse attributes that seem to do well. I generally make a point of getting keepers with extremely high positioning rating, my feeling is its not so much the ability to make the save (that helps obviously) but he can't pull off the save if he's not in the right position. Furthermore, he'll be more inclined to make reflex saves, one on one saves, placed shot saves, long shots etc more easily if he's in the correct place to simply pull it off, rather than have to move before saving it. In some ways it makes up for lower 'ability' per se. At least, that's what I theorise, but I could be very much wrong on this.

really?

huh

I find a DM integral to my tactics (DR auto, DC limited cover, DC limited stopper, DL auto, DM halfback, MC centremid auto, MC adplaymaker attack) and have pretty good success with it

pretty good success: keeping FC Bayern to under 5 total shots on goal over 2 legs in my CL semi, keeping RealMadrid shot-less at home

Really.

I'm a huge fan of DMs in general and most of my formations/tactics over the years/versions have included one most of the time including earlier teams & saves on FM14.

Simply though with the team I'm at and the league I'm in the DM just simply doesn't work for some reason. I brought in two specific DMs at the end of my first season at the club and both of the following two seasons I've been forced to switch because results have simply been better without the DM (One is being retrained as a DC while the other plays as a MC (defend, mostly as a BWM)).

Have you tried other keepers? Do they fair worse, better, much the same?

Never had a huge problem with long shots tbh, the key is to identify where/who they are coming from, strikers/AMCs/MCs and work out if its better to close them down or to drop back and create a shield in front of your DCs.

I haven't had the opportunity yet to purchase other keepers as I'm only in my 3rd season. But it's one thing I will try to rectify in my next transfer window, provided a suitable choice comes along. I'm playing 433 barcelona style with a HB/DLP/RGA (depending on opposition).

For sure, a good goalkeeper is a lifesaver. I had Hartley in the Blue Square on 12 and he's too good for that league. He was a solid rock there, keeping out anything that got beyond the defence, which was quite a lot at that level.

But they're a weird bunch to be honest, sometimes it's the ones with worse attributes that seem to do well. I generally make a point of getting keepers with extremely high positioning rating, my feeling is its not so much the ability to make the save (that helps obviously) but he can't pull off the save if he's not in the right position. Furthermore, he'll be more inclined to make reflex saves, one on one saves, placed shot saves, long shots etc more easily if he's in the correct place to simply pull it off, rather than have to move before saving it. In some ways it makes up for lower 'ability' per se. At least, that's what I theorise, but I could be very much wrong on this.

Ter Stegen only has positioning of 12 even though I've given him lots of added training on that, while Mignolet is 15. Mignolet is slightly better in terms of stopping shots but ter Stegen is actually the better all-rounder. My next transfer window will see me looking for a keeper with better positioning.

If there's one feature for FM 15 that makes me happy, it's the new player role of "roaming playmaker" that evidently functions as a DM and a DLP - I like to utilize CM/DM hybrids that I can play back in the DM spot or move them forward to midfield. Sometimes I'll even train them at AMC so they can play throughout the middle.

(wasn't trying to go "off-topic" was kind of replying to Cougar's comment about DMs and another post slipped in there while I was writing.)

Archived