Never seen a player dribble round a goalkeeper...?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I haven't seen it in the game in FM13 or FM14, I think that what we should see (from SI's point of view), (especially in terms of the ppm), has changed from historic versions. It it less as it is titled, (takes ball round keeper), and more akin to takes ball partly round keeper, (to create a better scoring chance and angle), and then takes the shot from there. I'm not positive that that's what was always intended, but it's certainly how the impact of the ppm appears to me.

I've certainly seen goals scored in this version by players stepping past the keeper but I wouldn't say it was a regular thing.

Off the top of my head watching games on comprehensive I would estimate I see it maybe a handful of times a season.

It exists but the representation of it in match view looks stupid. It's when the player runs at the keeper then slightly changes angle to either side and then shoots. The keeper will invariably just stand and watch the ball being put past him. It lacks the animations for both realistic striker behavior and keeper reaction in this scenario. The point about curved runs is a very good one as well.

shameless plug

I guess this is kinda that, but like Aktsjon said, it's not "round the keeper" more like improving the angle

edit: and before you start whaling on me,

this was back in FM10 (back when Paulo Henrique was a -10 and before his move to SaoPaulo)

and it came in the 6th game of the CL group (my opponents were assured of bottom, and I already topped the group with 15 points, and pretty sure I was 3-0 up at the time)

I distinctly remember seeing the blobs in the 2D match representation dribble the ball right up to the goalie and take it round him before putting it in the net.

What we currently have doesn't do that, the players don't get anywhere near the goalie.

Maybe FM2014 is trying to replicate real life football now a days. You are talking about not seeing players round the keeper in Football Manager. I am saying when was the last time you saw a player round the keeper in real life in the past year. It is certainly not happening much, if not at all. I personally watch most Premier League and Champions League matches and even the world cup. I cant think of a striker that rounds the Keeper and score. On the contrary I would love to see it in FM2015, but I am just saying maybe they are replicating the modern football now.

It is a rare thing to see. The striker usually don't have the time and space required. And then it is a definition issue: "rounding the keeper" usually just means that the striker tricks the keeper to go to one direction, while himself goes the other, and then kick the ball past the keeper.

I saw one yesterday, absolutely beautiful move, with my player getting in behind the defense, recieving the ball from a wonderful through pass, taking around the keeper with his first touch even though the ball was about waist height, then slotting home into an empty net.

That's about the only one I can remember though.

The problem is that even if it were to happen, it is very rare as a thing. While in reality they are goals that happen frequently.

Apart from that I've never seen a red card given to knockdown the attacker by the goalkeeper, with its penalty kick, something also very frequent

• 2 years later...
14 minutes ago, Silver Twilight Sparkle said:

I've been saying this for years, players never try to dribble a GK or lob him. Having them do this would really improve the finishing that a lot of people complain, especially during counter attacks as players have plenty of space to do this but just miss them all the time.

If anything if would further fuel the "I have 999% possession and more shots but lose, the AI cheats me" brigade. :D The general finishing people complain about is from my experience something completely different, which is people watching stats, not shots. If they would go through all their shots, they would find their perceived "huge dominance" oft fading pretty quickly. Counters have been pretty toothless the further you go back, but ever since 2016ish they're getting more deadly, which sadly, the AI doesn't seem to be made "aware of" -- the amount of soft goals Guardiola et all ship in-game caused by their aggressiveness is pretty big. I too agree that a forward rounding the keeper is a rarity though!

I have yet to see a player round the keeper or attempt an overhead kick in FM17. I really enjoyed in FM16 that you'd see once in a blue moon an overhead attempt. It wasn't that often, so it was realistic. Maybe once or twice a season one of your players or an opponent would try it. Have yet to see that.

Maybe the frequency should be increased. Seems like there's been TONS of overhead goals in the past year or so

7 hours ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

Almost 1000 hours put in to FM17 and I can safely say I've never seen a player 'round the keeper' and score. Not once.

It's because the animation purely doesn't exist. See also players attempting to lob the keeper from outside the box and red cards for keepers. They just can't happen. 

2 hours ago, DP said:

It's because the animation purely doesn't exist. See also players attempting to lob the keeper from outside the box and red cards for keepers. They just can't happen. 

Well that's a shame really. 

Having said that, I've not once thought of those three issues until I read about them here but now I'm BAYING FOR SI BLOOD :mad:

Jokes. I'm having a great game and genuinely don't think it's spoiled with the lack of lobs, red carded GKs and rounding the GK, but I do agree that for variety they would be nice. Pretty odd that they don't exist either as they're common enough in the real world.

On 9/20/2014 at 00:21, samba23 said:

I don't think I've seen this.

Definitely haven't ever seen a striker attempt to round the keeper, get fouled by the keeper and have a pen plus red card for the keeper.

Can't happen, same reason keepers can't get fouled on crosses etc, I think it's something to do with collision detection and hasn't been fixed since oooooh 2011 or so.

45 minutes ago, jcw163 said:

Can't happen, same reason keepers can't get fouled on crosses etc, I think it's something to do with collision detection and hasn't been fixed since oooooh 2011 or so.

Collision avoidance works just fine, but there are no actual collisions in the game. That's why it can't happen. It's not a matter of something that hasn't been fixed. It's that collisions don't exist and it'll require a massive re-write to add.

The guy who started this thread, diddydaddydoddy (what a name!),  is spot on.  An excellent topic.   Kudos.   I never see anything close to a Neymar (or Pato in his prime, Rossi before all his injuries -- think his early Villarreal days) in this game.  Or think Sergio Aguero when he was still at Atletico Madrid.   Perhaps the Si FM creators need to call it dribbling it past the GK and slotting it into the net.    Whatever you call it, it does not take place even when one has -- as has been mentioned above -- the example of a very rapid counter attack and a forward plenty capable of this.

As for real life red cards (or ones not given), recall the last WC final with Argentina and Germany deadlocked at 0-0.   Manuel Neuer did what to that Argentine striker Higuain?  Yes, that was a red card foul.  Not given.  But very real to the life of this game played all over our globe.  Would be very nice to see these situations a few times per SI season as they do occur in real life.  Yes, as a manager, I don't want to be down to 10 men with my first team GK on a red in the 36th minute (with the subsequent 1, 2 or 3 match league suspension) but that's real life.   Ask Arsenal fans who watched GK Jens Lehmann red carded out of Arsenal's last shot at a CL title. Lehmann's timing was a tiny fraction of a second off, but off it was and down went Samuel E'to.  For referee buffs:  What happens next in that match is a solid argument for use of the advantage rule, eh?

Trust me there's still reason to put one on the bench. 

I was using my reserve keeper in a CL quarter final as my regular was injured and thought there's no way I'll get another keeper injury. Wrong. 

Reserve keeper went off injured in the game and I lost 6-1 with my defender having to play 40 odd minutes in goal. 

I just finished reading this thread and then booted up FM 16. I clicked on Continue and in the news feed I see something along the lines of; Spurs goalkeeper sees red.  

So, I decided to check out what fixture it was for Tottenham and any other details I could gather since I found it interesting. Sure enough, their GK was given a red card, in the 5th minute at that! I haven't seen too many GK red cards but they are definitely in the game and am glad I haven't had one. 

gkred.png

Unfortunately, I can't click on the event itself as I'm not managing in England thus have the detail levels down to none. Which I didn't think would make that huge of difference since it was only 16 days ago in-game time. Now I'm really curious.

As the detail level was set to none then it means the match was not processed in the ful match engine & is not relevant, essentially the game calculated a senidng off in the match & then decided which player to be assiged the red card.

Archived