Counter mentality and retain possesion clash?

Does this mentality combined with this team shout clash?

It kinda feels like u wouldnt retain possession during counter mentality.

Im gonna try this tactic: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2014-tactics/167471-recreating-louis-van-gaal%E2%80%99s-3-5-2-formation-football-manager-2014-a.html

he says "I just switched from control to counter in the big games"

Do you think he removed "get stuck in" and "retain possession then"

What do u think guys :)

It completely depends on what the tactic trying to achieve. If it's focused on fast transitions and quick counter-attacks, then retain posession is probably a bad thing. If it's based around slower transitions, short passing and keeping hold of the ball, then retain posession will likely be a good thing. The fact that he's changed the mentality isn't the important thing, the way the tactic is designed to play is. If anything, I'd actually lean towards a counter mentality being more suited to a slower posession based game than the more agressive, faster paced control mentality.

Not sure if this tactic is great or the players just make it work. Its a very attacking tactic. Not to say its bad but it doens't look very balanced to me.

Looks alright to me as far as roles are concerned to me. Yes he has 2 attacking wing backs, but a back 3 should compensate for this somewhat. Nice and solid in the center of midfield. Not to sure how those team instructions would play out personally, but he seems to know what he wants. He may come unstuck at some point and have to tone this down a little, but overall it's not a bad effort. Not saying it is anything like Van Gaal, cos I have little idea about his tactics.

Archived