What are the differences between "Go Route One" and "Pumb Ball Into The Box"?

thomit's explanation is pretty much it. Go Route One has the same effects as More Direct Passing - extra width, tempo and passing length - but more dramatic. Pump Ball Into The Box encourages players to hit the ball long and into the box.

I think there's a bit more to this.

IIRC - go route one is certainly just a more exaggerated version of direct passing

However, I think "Pump Ball into the box" affects mentality of your central players and your full backs. I believe it is an exaggerated version of "exploit the middle" so your full-backs stay back and launch it forward into the centre for your forwards and midfielders to run onto.

Edit: I was close. This is from Tactical Theorems 10, I doubt its changed much if at all.

Pump Ball Into Box

Effect: Instructs the team to play long balls in to the opposition penalty area to try to get an advantage.

Action: Large increase in passing length but decrease in try through balls for defenders and defensive midfielders, tells players to play with less wide play, makes full backs and wingers hold up the ball, increases forward runs for forwards, sets maximum crossing for full backs, focus passing through the centre.

Useful: When needing a goal late on in the game; when possessing taller and/or stronger forwards than the opposition defenders.

Archived