Hassle opponents + Drop deeper. Bad combo ?

Yes, bad combo... :D

It's fairly logical though... it's hard to pull back, sit deep, normally try to stay compact, but at the same time hassle the **** out of your opponents! Think the players would have a hard time understanding what you actually want from them.

Not saying that there's no way it won't work. You can probably find threads with tactics where someone claims to have done this with succes. It IS just a computer game after all. Logically, it wouldn't happen in real life though ;)

I'm still playing FM13 and I do occasionly use this combination and it seems to work okay. However, I am able to 'lock' player marking instructions to zonal and then use 'hassle opponents' to encourage immediate pressing once an opponent enters their zone. For FM14 I have seen some tactical mods encouraging the use of the 'false press' where your frontline and selected midfielders are encouraged to 'press more' using PI's thus leaving your backline to 'drop deeper' and be more solid. However, it does encourage a bit of a split between defence, midfield and/or attack depending upon which players you select to press via PI and those who are left to drop via TI.

I don't think it's that unrealistic. What this combo does is lowering the defensive line while setting closing down to the maximum. This could make sense when playing with an Attacking mentality to ensure that the team doesn't push up too much and doesn't get exposed in defensive transitions, but keeping an intense pressing.

Especially counter-pressing teams like Liverpool or Dortmund do this from time to time. To use a real life example: In the later matches between Mourinho's Madrid and Barcelona, Madrid were pressing very high up the pitch while the defenders didn't push up much, keeping a medium line. Of course this led to natural gaps between defence and midfield, but since Barcelona's vertical play wasn't that fast, those gaps weren't a problem.

Yes, bad combo... :D

It's fairly logical though... it's hard to pull back, sit deep, normally try to stay compact, but at the same time hassle the **** out of your opponents! Think the players would have a hard time understanding what you actually want from them.

Not saying that there's no way it won't work. You can probably find threads with tactics where someone claims to have done this with succes. It IS just a computer game after all. Logically, it wouldn't happen in real life though ;)

Obviously up for discussion but I think that it is more likely to be seen in real life than in the game (working anyway). I watched Atletico a number of time last year and I would say that the two istructions met fairly well with what they were doing; Sitting tight and compact, relatively deep when the opponents defenders had the ball, but as soon as the ball came into a forward/attacking midfielder they would pounce and harry them off the ball.

Obviously up for discussion but I think that it is more likely to be seen in real life than in the game (working anyway). I watched Atletico a number of time last year and I would say that the two istructions met fairly well with what they were doing; Sitting tight and compact, relatively deep when the opponents defenders had the ball, but as soon as the ball came into a forward/attacking midfielder they would pounce and harry them off the ball.

This.

I hope FM15 has incorporated some different pressing setting

Should'nt be too hard to add

e.g: Half pitch , full pitch, 3/4 pitch etc.

I think there are various levels of pressing as well that should be incorporated into the game. IRL you have a press and retreat, where a player will close down but retreat when his job is done. A heavy press and hassle is where a player will press but continue to hound the player and then move on to press another player receiving a pass, basically pressing the ball rather than an individual player. Then you have the pressing in packs which Barcelona did so well a couple of years ago.

Sorry if it's a bit off-topic, but why is it that most TIs are relative your other settings but Hassle and Stand Off are absolute? By that I mean, if you use TIs to modify your defensive line or your tempo for example, those changes will be relative to the base established by your fluidity/mentality. So if you are playing Attacking but Drop Deeper you will still have a high line, but not as high as you normally would on attacking. But Hassle sets closing down to maximum and Stand Off to minimum irrespective of your base values. Why the inconsistency? Wouldn't it make more sense to have relative settings like "Press more" that would bump up your settings for closing down a bit relative to the base value without necessarily setting them to maximum?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have relative settings like "Press more" that would bump up your settings for closing down a bit relative to the base value without necessarily setting them to maximum?

It absolutely would make more sense. Pressing is an area of the game that needs to catch up with real life to really call itself a "Simulator".

Before FM14, you had the basic team instructions and in-match shouts. The team instructions were for setting up a basic, balanced approach while the shouts were intended to help you address specific situations that might come up during a match, occasionally involving an extreme adjustment to the settings. I don't know why that delineation was removed.

Archived