Sports Interactive Community
Luka from Zagreb

FM14: closing down and tighter marking

hey,

so im playing an atacking 4-2-3-1 and im trying to set up my defense as best as possible. it's leaking a bit :D

i have my

dcl on stopper duty with tighter marking and close down more

dcr cover just tighter marking

dl and dr are attacking and the instruction is to close down more

my 2 cm's are set to tighter marking and now i added close down more

my aml, amr, amc and st are set to close down more

what do you think? what am i doing wrong?

State all your players roles and duties too. That may affect your defensive set-up.

So you're basically telling pretty much everyone to Close Down More... then you may as well just use Hassle Opponents

both cb's are central defenders (left is stopper and the right one is cover)

both fullbacks are fullbacks with automatic duty

cml is a deep lying playmaker on defend

cmr is a deep lying playmaker on support

amc is an advanced playmaker on attack

aml and amr are wingers on attack

striker is a complete forward on attack

im playing a counterattacking with fluid

So you're basically telling pretty much everyone to Close Down More... then you may as well just use Hassle Opponents

Close Down More/Less make smaller adjustments whereas Stand Off/Hassle set closing down to the minimum/maximum settings.

i have hassle opponents on..

what i dont get is what would be ideal setting for my dcl for instance. i want him to be a true stopper and i want my dcr to be a cover guy. i dont know which one should tight mark, which one should close down more... my idea is that my dcl should tight mark and close down and my dcr should close down LESS (but he cant, it's grayed out...)

also my fullbacks.. my central mids. should they tight mark and close down or just tight mark??

Player Instructions override Team Instructions.

By using Hassle Opponents but then applying PIs to Close Down More, you are effectively downgrading the amount of Closing Down your players do.

Tight Marking is the FM equivalent of real life Man to Man marking (specific Man Marking is more a hatchet man detail).

Close Down More encourages players to leave their normal position to press an opponent. It has pros and cons.

For me, what you are after is Close Down More and Tight Marking on the DCL. I would not ask your DCR to Close Down More OR Tight Mark.

Personally, I don't get any of my Central Defenders to Close Down More, as I prefer my Pressing to be carried out further up field.

By using Hassle Opponents but then applying PIs to Close Down More, you are effectively downgrading the amount of Closing Down your players do.

Tight Marking is the FM equivalent of real life Man to Man marking (specific Man Marking is more a hatchet man detail).

Close Down More encourages players to leave their normal position to press an opponent. It has pros and cons.

For me, what you are after is Close Down More and Tight Marking on the DCL. I would not ask your DCR to Close Down More OR Tight Mark.

Personally, I don't get any of my Central Defenders to Close Down More, as I prefer my Pressing to be carried out further up field.

I'm curious as to how you achieve this?

Do you leave your team closing down on default and then select your attacking players PIs to Close Down More? Or is there another way?

I'm curious as to how you achieve this?

Do you leave your team closing down on default and then select your attacking players PIs to Close Down More? Or is there another way?

Yep that's essentially how you do it.

now i'm a bit lost. if i set my team instructions to hassle opponents, my whole team will close down more, right?

now i started to think that it would be besto to turn off some instructions im the team instructions, like hassle opponents and mark tighter and simply apply them fore each player in the players instructions, but what happened when i turned these options off, my 100% fluid tactic dropped to almost nothein (for closing down category).

my questions is, do i NEED the team instructions like hassle opponents ON, OR can i just apply them individually for each player? am i harming my teams game by having that option (hassle opponents, mark tighter..) off in my team instructions and just select them for each player individually?

My view is that Hassle Opponents is an extreme instruction. It can and will work, but it will also increase the likelihood of your defensive unit losing shape.

I'm a stickler for shape, so rarely use that TI. It is easier to control the way your team presses if you apply the instruction player by player (bear in mind that some Roles have high Closing Down by default).

i understand. now i managed to set up everything perfectly. only my 2 central defenders are not great.

my mcl is the more defensive one, so i should put my cbl on cover duty right? because the mcl will cover that are better then the mcr, which is more attackin and often will be in a more advanced position, so he needs a stopper behind him cleaning up his mess.. is that right?

i'm just unsure how to set the 2 central defenders up. stoper and cover is the right way to go i think. tight marking on the stopper and no tight markin on the cover guy?

Cover / Stopper is an OK combination, but only really a great idea against a lone striker.

That way, the Stopper will make the initial attempt to win the ball and the Cover will mop up.

Against twin striker systems it can be suicidal. For me, Cover / Stopper combinations work best in a back three where the balance is easier to strike.

so a better allround combination would be both on defend duty?

That is what I think, but don't be afraid to revert to a Cover / Stopper system against single strikers.

i just played 1:1 against bayern and im dinamo zagreb in my first season with a bunch of kids :D started with defend both but i changed it to stoper/cover. also mark tighter works better for fullbacks.. robben and ribery didnt have a chance :D but the most important thisg is to man mark their 2 cms and the dm...

I think the key point here is to try different options and go with what works best for you. Personally I prefer a team ethos for my tactics hence tend to use TI's in preference to PI's, so in this example I'll use Hassle, but then I also tend to play very fluid and have other instructions that compliment my style of play (e.g. Roam from Position) and IMO assist the press.

It really is a horses for courses type thing were there really are no wrong answers as there are so many combinations.