Remove the Potential Ability from FM2015!

I feel that the biggest unrealistic element of FM2014 is PA, and the fact that it is so easy to guess it for good scouts.

The most annoying effect of PA is the transfer price.

Compare these generated players (stars set by Man Utd 20-20 scout):

1. 16 year old, CA 5 silver stars, PA 4.5 gold stars. Transfer price: $10M.

2. 19 year old, CA 1.5 gold stars, PA 3.5 gold stars. Transfer price: $4M.

3. 17 year old, CA 1 gold star, PA 5 gold stars. Transfer price: $60M.

4. 19 year old, CA 1.5 gold stars, PA 1.5 gold stars. Transfer price: $300k.

In all seriousness, this is ridiculous. Players who are super-far from the main squad never cost $10M in real life, and surely not $60M.

And the fact that two 19-year olds with exactly the same skillset today, who can provide the same contribution to the club, have 10x difference in their transfer price is ridiculous.

When playing FM2014 for Man Utd, I almost never buy players between 19 and 23. They come only in two types: 1) overpriced (>$50M if >3.5 gold stars) 2) with low PA (less than 3.5 gold stars = worthless for MU). I end up buying dozens of 16- and 17- year olds for $4-12M each, which doesn't match real life prices of 16- and 17- year olds with no premier league experience. I also kick out 16-year olds with good CA but crappy PA from my team.

And I end up putting 15-year olds with 5 silver stars CA, really crappy stats, but 4.5 gold PA to play for my club in less-important Premier League and Champions League games in order to help with their development, instead of 19-year olds with 1.5 gold stars CA but 3.5 PA. Which is also quite opposite to real life.

Suggestion: remove PA completely. Consider that anyone can improve a lot until he is of older age.

Scouts should be able to gauge CA and mentality of the player. Use randomness for development. If the player has professional attitude, is adaptable, and club good facilities - the player should have some non-zero random chance to grow up to 5 stars. All of them.

So I would go around and scout for 20-year-olds and buy those of them who have the highest CA. And their transfer price would match their skills, achievements and stats, not their potential. 19-year-olds with lower CA would cost less; but a younger player with the same CA would cost higher, because here lies the actual potential - in how fast he developed to his current level.

Soo, how it should be:

1. 16 year old, CA 5 silver stars. Transfer price: $100k instead of $10M. There are really plenty of those.

1.5 16 year old, CA 1 gold star. Transfer price: $1M. There are much fewer of those, and there is a higher chance such guy will get to 5 gold stars. But you still don't want to overpay because randomness might slower his development.

2. 19 year old, CA 1.5 gold stars. Transfer price: $1.5M instead of $4M.

3. 17 year old, CA 1 gold star. Transfer price: $800k instead of $60M. There are actually quite a few of those at 17, but not everyone who was 5 silver stars at 16 could get to 1 gold star at 17, so more expensive; definitely cheaper than 1.5 gold stars at 19.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be made dynamic not removed. My post from another thread:

The biggest problem is the PA system. Suppose if u scout a young player with great attributes great mentality so u naturally sign him for your Man Utd side. He goes on to have a great season u win some trophies etc. but then the next season you notice even though he is young he is working hard in training he cant improve his overall play. It means he has reached his PA and will never under any circumstance improve more. Which would not happen IRL since football players dont have a fixed potential attribute. The PA should be dynamic couse as we can see anything can happen in real life then why not in the game. After all the moment you press continue on your first day of your new carrier save the game should be a simulation and not trying to predict IRL events using fixed numbers and such.

And for those claiming that you shouldn't see the PA of a player, yes but the game works on that system that can be viewed by any AI staff including our own coaches but u cannot. How is that realistic? Like your coaches know a player potential cus they see him in training would be the logical explanation. But then again aren't u the manager who can also see them in training? The AI clubs sign youngsters solely on their PA number not their attributes or performances. Then why should i not see the PA of a player?

irl his manager would hope that he could improve & may well give him time to prove he has the ability but eventually the manager will finally accept that the lad cannot get any better, the main difference with FM & real life is that we know PA exists.

I've also mentioned this many, many times & it is worth repeating, CA & PA values are not the be all & end all of a player's ability, players can improve even if they have reached their PA value.

There is no such thing he can't get any better. Yes he can its all about dedication and hard work good mentality and having the necessary environment. 3 Years ago my friend told me i would never ever be able to play guitar on a pro level. Guess who is a great guitar player today?

About your other point, players cant improve after they reach their PA lelvel they can only do trade offs, for exp my winger loses points in speed an crossing so he can get better finishing which of course is absurd. I don't know why SI mods and staff keep on whistling to themselves while defending the game like we the users are some idiots who don't know anything, i mean we all love the game that's why we write these posts.

And for those claiming that you shouldn't see the PA of a player, yes but the game works on that system that can be viewed by any AI staff including our own coaches but u cannot. How is that realistic? Like your coaches know a player potential cus they see him in training would be the logical explanation. But then again aren't u the manager who can also see them in training? The AI clubs sign youngsters solely on their PA number not their attributes or performances. Then why should i not see the PA of a player?

That's wrong btw. The can't see the exact PA.

With correct training & focusing on what you want the player to be capable of doing. CA is the player's general football talent however his positional & role CA can be higher or lower than that figure.

Then why does the game works on a general CA/PA system instead of a position system? The AI signs players based on general CA/PA not because his attributes fit the position or because he played a good season or not.

The OP is also incorrect in saying that PA affects asking price, it doesn't.

The current system of valuing young players uses CA as the base value in the calculation, the system has no awareness of the real PA value.

Well as a matter of fact the clubs value young players based almost purely on PA in FM2014. There is a player that costs $60M just because he has 5 stars PA, even though he is 1.5 stars CA. The other 1.5 stars CA players can go as cheap as $300k.

Well as a matter of fact the clubs value young players based almost purely on PA in FM2014. There is a player that costs $60M just because he has 5 stars PA, even though he is 1.5 stars CA. The other 1.5 stars CA players can go as cheap as $300k.

And if the AI clubs ignored PA, it would give human players massive advantage, because I always sign based on PA. I'd never sign a young 3-stars PA player, and I'm happy to pay a lot for 4.5-star PA player. Which means that in 5 years my squad will be full of 4-star guys, while if AI ignored PA AI squads would be trash.

No. Like you've already been told, that's based on PERCEIVED potential ability. Clubs in real life don't have a crystal ball to know a players PA, but they can make a judgement call and value him accordingly. Is that so hard to understand?

And if the AI clubs ignored PA, it would give human players massive advantage, because I always sign based on PA. I'd never sign a young 3-stars PA player, and I'm happy to pay a lot for 4.5-star PA player. Which means that in 5 years my squad will be full of 4-star guys, while if AI ignored PA AI squads would be trash.

Given how much criticism it has come in for, I'd say AI squad building is pretty much "trash".

Attributes rebalance over time if you keep training them. The distribution of attributes is more important than raw CA, and you can shape that distribution long after they've got their 'cap'.

However, a player with high PA is likely to be able to be moulded into a player with superior stats for that role anyway, and even if he doesn't strengthen those, he will be more well-rounded with fluff stats that make him the more finished article than say, a player with lower PA.

So really, the argument that PA doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things is entirely subjective. I'd personally go for the right stats and the huge PA availability, because I know weak stats can be 'fixed' via training, but there's no reason to gimp the squad with weaker calibre players.

The current system of valuing young players uses CA as the base value in the calculation, the system has no awareness of the real PA value.

If that's the case, then how come I'm seeing this:

elEPwe2.png

The scouted players are five duplicates of a 19 year old CA 84 player on whom I have used the editor to set PA's corresponding to the numbers they have as names.

If that's the case, then how come I'm seeing this:

elEPwe2.png

The scouted players are five duplicates of a 19 year old CA 84 player on whom I have used the editor to set PA's corresponding to the numbers they have as names.

See above. PERCEIVED potential ability. Same way we can see that any young player in real life has potential.

That's how it worked years ago, the AI now looks to sign players based on their role suitability.

The PA star value is perceived potential, I've seen this be as much as 90 points off the players true PA value & the margin of error can be even larger than that.

You are wrong. In the vast majority of the cases AI clubs tend to overspend on high potential ability players, even if you have lower potential ability players with the perfect stats for their role.

AI can't understand roles, only sees PA.

That allows the players to buy useless high potential ability players for resale only, to fund their effort to buy the real good players that are good for their needed role.

Fun part is that those perfect for the role players can be cheaper than the useless high PA ability players and that is plain wrong.

Either case I agree with the original post. PA is bad, outdated and boring design.

I agree at least to the extent that scouting reports and AI assessments should not be based on potential ability, but based on the player's current ability. In real life, players are tipped for greatness and thought of as having a 'high potential' because their immediate ability is higher than the rest of their peers. If these sort of scouting reports were based on CA alone (and maybe a few other factors, like personality and the distribution of attributes), it would make the game a lot, lot more realistic. I don't think that you can realistically remove PA from the game entirely - besides, why would it matter if you removed it as long as you made it invisible and unpredictable?

See above. PERCEIVED potential ability. Same way we can see that any young player in real life has potential.

There needs to be more divergance from the percieved current ability. It should be there in the code but the player should never have an idea. Make the coach ratings more wilder and less accurate even for top, top coaches/scouts.

Perhaps I'm dense, but I don't really get what you mean?

In my example PA is the only real difference between the players (out of the numbers we can set in the editor, at least), and it makes a huge difference in terms of asking price. Unless I'm misunderstanding Alex' post, this is clearly in contradiction to the statement that PA doesn't affect asking price, even if the system doesn't know the actual PA completely but rather uses a PPA number derived from it and other factors.

I feel that the biggest unrealistic element of FM2014 is PA, and the fact that it is so easy to guess it for good scouts.

The most annoying effect of PA is the transfer price.

Compare these generated players (stars set by Man Utd 20-20 scout):

1. 16 year old, CA 5 silver stars, PA 4.5 gold stars. Transfer price: $10M.

2. 19 year old, CA 1.5 gold stars, PA 3.5 gold stars. Transfer price: $4M.

3. 17 year old, CA 1 gold star, PA 5 gold stars. Transfer price: $60M.

4. 19 year old, CA 1.5 gold stars, PA 1.5 gold stars. Transfer price: $300k.

The reason players cost so much is because that's the AI saying said player is not for sale. I don't entirely agree with this way of doing it, that's how it is.

In all seriousness, this is ridiculous. Players who are super-far from the main squad never cost $10M in real life, and surely not $60M.

And the fact that two 19-year olds with exactly the same skillset today, who can provide the same contribution to the club, have 10x difference in their transfer price is ridiculous.

When playing FM2014 for Man Utd, I almost never buy players between 19 and 23. They come only in two types: 1) overpriced (>$50M if >3.5 gold stars) 2) with low PA (less than 3.5 gold stars = worthless for MU). I end up buying dozens of 16- and 17- year olds for $4-12M each, which doesn't match real life prices of 16- and 17- year olds with no premier league experience. I also kick out 16-year olds with good CA but crappy PA from my team.

For the most part, the CA/PA system works fine. The star ratings you listed are what we call PPA or perceived potential ability. Those ratings are determined by 2 factors; the quality of players you have in your team and your coaches/scouts ability to evaluate talent. What you are seeing is not an exact determination of what that play could become (aka his PA).

What do I mean? Well I mean a player given a 3.5 star rating at Manchester United is going to be better than a player given a 3.5 star rating at a club like Blackpool. Even if the scouts who made those determinations have the same JPA and JPP. Let's 20 and 20 for the sake of it.

Anything less than 3.5 stars is worthless? I disagree with that. Tyler Blackett and Michael Keane have played rather well for me when given the opportunity and they are by no means 3.5 stars PPA wise. You are caring way too much about the stars mate.

You want to talk about unrealistic? Amassing a youth team of players who are all set to be world class is unrealistic.

And I end up putting 15-year olds with 5 silver stars CA, really crappy stats, but 4.5 gold PA to play for my club in less-important Premier League and Champions League games in order to help with their development, instead of 19-year olds with 1.5 gold stars CA but 3.5 PA. Which is also quite opposite to real life.

Mate you are going about youth development the wrong way. You shouldn't be getting rid of players with 3.5 stars. 3.5 is good. In fact, for a club like United, 3.5 is very very good. Heck 2.5 is pretty darn good when on a top class side.

Suggestion: remove PA completely. Consider that anyone can improve a lot until he is of older age.

Scouts should be able to gauge CA and mentality of the player. Use randomness for development. If the player has professional attitude, is adaptable, and club good facilities - the player should have some non-zero random chance to grow up to 5 stars. All of them.

I disagree with this suggestion. Development is not that linear; people develop at different rates regardless of age. Regardless of attitude. There are countless professional, hard-working youngsters who came youth top academies with top training facilities who didn't make it.

And FM1000, there are plenty of players like that. Early bloomers happen all the time. Just because someone shows amazing flashes early on doesn't mean that he'll have what it takes to be a world beater.

Example: In America, there's a lot of attention paid to college sports. College baskeball and college football are multi-billion dollar industries. Because of this the level of training (facilities, coaching etc.) is at a better level than you'd see in most profession soccer teams anywhere in the world. Despite that, there are many players who are stars in college but are busts when they make it to the pros.

Just like there are many players who are stars in the youth leagues, and initially in their first team careers, but eventually fall off.

So I would go around and scout for 20-year-olds and buy those of them who have the highest CA. And their transfer price would match their skills, achievements and stats, not their potential. 19-year-olds with lower CA would cost less; but a younger player with the same CA would cost higher, because here lies the actual potential - in how fast he developed to his current level.

Once again you gotta let go of this trying to sign every top young talent (because that's what you sound like). It just isn't realistic. And btw, even if your idea was implemented, why should the AI teams sell you their best youngsters for what you believe is a reasonable price?

Soo, how it should be:

1. 16 year old, CA 5 silver stars. Transfer price: $100k instead of $10M. There are really plenty of those.

1.5 16 year old, CA 1 gold star. Transfer price: $1M. There are much fewer of those, and there is a higher chance such guy will get to 5 gold stars. But you still don't want to overpay because randomness might slower his development.

2. 19 year old, CA 1.5 gold stars. Transfer price: $1.5M instead of $4M.

3. 17 year old, CA 1 gold star. Transfer price: $800k instead of $60M. There are actually quite a few of those at 17, but not everyone who was 5 silver stars at 16 could get to 1 gold star at 17, so more expensive; definitely cheaper than 1.5 gold stars at 19.

Now here's the thing. I said that the CA/PA system works well for the most part.It does have it's issues The biggest being on the development side of things. Development needs to be more volatile. Because that will lead to more varied development and thus more early and late bloomers. As well as more complete busts.

If that happens, well there should be a knock effect to how pricing should work i.e. teams would be less likely to go all out for a youngster because there is greater risk as said youngster's development is no longer guaranteed and teams would be less likely to demand larger fees for their youngsters due to the increased to the potential buyer. But that's a different discussion for another time.

the development curve of players plays out like you say it should tbh

and the scouts aren't perfect, far from it tbh

you can scout a player and get a 2 star result, scout him again in 2 years and he has 4 star potential and his price has gone up with him

missed a bunch of players cause i ignored report cards that were only predicted to become decent :/

some regens when they're freshly spawned are such blank slates loaded with crazy high potential that your scouts dont actually recognise it when its so undeveloped, unless its a youngster who is simply well ahead of the curve like a well developed 15yo

coaches wont recognise it for a season either if their pa is low enough, i'm assuming thats the game predicting the youngster wont actually progress despite having so much potential

and this development would usually be kick-started via tutoring or a loan spell where they get regular playing time at a decent level

Evan the mod also dont understand how the game is running lol.

If you dont believe it, you can just test it using the editor.

Alex knows it MUCH better than you think. Not sure you can argue that when he works on it and sees code you dont.

Aderow I agree, I would like to see more fluctuation in the development curve. It would be so much more effective than any radical new system

PA is seriously flawed, but SI will keep it mainly because they don't know how else to do it. And as long as it sells, why bother?

example case: A high PA star is injured for 2-3 matches, so the AI manager called up a less PA player in his spot. The later played absolutely super duper saiyan mode brilliant, scored like Stifler in asian high school and assisted like all his opponents are Indonesians. 2-3 matches later, the injured star recovered. And guess who is back to main squad and who is back to fringe reserve-only-called-if-any-injury-happened?

And don't get me started on Best player award, yearly ones or major tournaments ones. The ones like Messi or CR will always get the award even their team perform like all open buffet on qualification and don't made it through next one.

If the final said was Costa Rica vs Nigeria, I won't surprised if none of both teams' player get best player award (unless top scorers; or Opti Poba :D)

PA is seriously flawed, but SI will keep it mainly because they don't know how else to do it. And as long as it sells, why bother?

example case: A high PA star is injured for 2-3 matches, so the AI manager called up a less PA player in his spot. The later played absolutely super duper saiyan mode brilliant, scored like Stifler in asian high school and assisted like all his opponents are Indonesians. 2-3 matches later, the injured star recovered. And guess who is back to main squad and who is back to fringe reserve-only-called-if-any-injury-happened?

Your example is flawed; AI managers dont pick squads based on PA.

Secondly, a 'star' is that for a reason mate. No matter how good a backup plays, when the star is back and fully fit, it's highly unlikely that any manager will leave the star out of the squad. And yes the backup will go back to being a backup. That's the definition of a backup.

And don't get me started on Best player award, yearly ones or major tournaments ones. The ones like Messi or CR will always get the award even their team perform like all open buffet on qualification and don't made it through next one.

If the final said was Costa Rica vs Nigeria, I won't surprised if none of both teams' player get best player award (unless top scorers; or Opti Poba :D)

You mean the way Messi won best player at the world cup? :brock:

Your example is flawed; AI managers dont pick squads based on PA.

Secondly, a 'star' is that for a reason mate. No matter how good a backup plays, when the star is back and fully fit, it's highly unlikely that any manager will leave the star out of the squad. And yes the backup will go back to being a backup. That's the definition of a backup.

The "star" is seriously wrong if based on PA or reputation. Year in year out, explosive performances when chances arrives is what make new star emerges (Kaka at Milan, even Diego Lopez at Madrid)

Even though I might be wrong that manager don't pick up players based on PA, the way it goes in game still wrong.

You mean the way Messi won best player at the world cup? :brock:

IIRC, Messi and Argentina reach semifinal. If you really read what I meant, you'll know what I meant. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, we all do. But the award is wrong. Play a lower reputation league and when you start to achieve stuff, you'll see what I meant.

The "star" is seriously wrong if based on PA or reputation. Year in year out, explosive performances when chances arrives is what make new star emerges (Kaka at Milan, even Diego Lopez at Madrid)

Even though I might be wrong that manager don't pick up players based on PA, the way it goes in game still wrong.

IIRC, Messi and Argentina reach semifinal. If you really read what I meant, you'll know what I meant. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, we all do. But the award is wrong. Play a lower reputation league and when you start to achieve stuff, you'll see what I meant.

AI managers don't determine who they pick in their teams based on PA. Or even PPA. If that was the case then every highly rated youngster in the game would be starting week in week out.

Potential is what a player could be. Not what a player is currently. Why would a manager choose whether or not pick a player based on what that player could be down the road? Well, they don't.

At the end of the day, starters are that for a reason. Backups are backups for a reason. Managers can get things wrong in real life and in game (managers have attributes, traits ec), but they have their preferences. And those rarely change.

Real CA/PA system is quite good, percieved CA/PA - not really. I haven't seen Hummels-like transfers at all. Big teams don't "fail" when selling talented youngsters for small amount of cash, there are to few mistakes, because transfer system in general depends on CA/PA. It should, however, depend more on current form, goals, assists, av. rating. More transfers like Downing to Liverpool, after one good season, bigger club splashes out a large sum, and a player fails. It doesn't happen too often in FM, except in PSG, Man City, Monaco and similar clubs, although they also generally buy players with relatively high CA/PA, but have quite poor squad management. That's another issue, though.

I think there needs to be more variables to progressing and regression of CA rather than completely changing PA. Ultimately what is it that stops Fred being as good as Neymar? It is a combination of physical, mental and technical attributes. Combined with external environmental factors. CA and PA as it exists is a proxy for all of those factors.

It seems that 95% of the complaints in this thread aren't anything to do with the CA/PA system at all. Problems in the transfer module wont be fixed by changing PA. Problems with the development system wont be fixed by changing PA. Problems with AI squad management wont be fixed by changing PA.

It seems that 95% of the complaints in this thread aren't anything to do with the CA/PA system at all. Problems in the transfer module wont be fixed by changing PA. Problems with the development system wont be fixed by changing PA. Problems with AI squad management wont be fixed by changing PA.

Agreed. Instead of "fixing" CA/PA, other areas that are based on CA/PA should be improved.

Are they exact copies with absolutely no 0 entires in their data & all contracted to the same club?

They were all contracted to the same club, but they had a few 0 entries (personality, most of the hidden player attributes, all positions except their natural as STC). This was lazy of me, but I felt pretty confident it wouldn't make a big difference.

I have now redone it with these attributes filled in the same for all five, and the results are pretty much the same (650-950K, 7.5-9.75M, 17-23M, 31-41M, not for sale, going from the lowest PA to the highest).

Then why isnt that fixed? For as long as i can remember the development and ai squad management are the same. Maybe they have received some slight improvements over the years but noting major. Instead we get silly "game features" that no one cares about and are only in game so Miles can write how many more features there are in the new FM game this year. Also the ME problems that are in every version. Like the bad defending AI or Strikers and especially Inside forwards keep on using their weaker foot and shooting in the side net. This has bugged me from FM12, the bad shooting choices by strikers and inside forwards.

Potential ability is awful and not realistic at all. I don't see how it can still be in the game in 2014. In real life the players viewed as having higher PA are the players who have the highest CA for their age, simple.

How a player with very low CA compared to a player of the same age with high CA can be viewed by scouts in the game as having a higher PA is crazy! In real life there is no way that anybody would predict a very poor youngster to become a better player than one who is much better than them of the same age.

Youngsters future ability should be done by a combination of mental ability (determination for example) and how well / how often they play over their career at various different levels. It is baffling me how people can defend such an odd PA system.

Potential ability is awful and not realistic at all. I don't see how it can still be in the game in 2014. In real life the players viewed as having higher PA are the players who have the highest CA for their age, simple.

How a player with very low CA compared to a player of the same age with high CA can be viewed by scouts in the game as having a higher PA is crazy! In real life there is no way that anybody would predict a very poor youngster to become a better player than one who is much better than them of the same age.

Youngsters future ability should be done by a combination of mental ability (determination for example) and how well / how often they play over their career at various different levels. It is baffling me how people can defend such an odd PA system.

Nothing you've said there actually applies to the PA system.

S.i please don't ruin the fm series by listening to op

the potential ability is a useful and helpful tool for a simulation management game

a larger % of people will complain if it is removed, because there really is no problem with the feature.

Nothing you've said there actually applies to the PA system.

The last paragraph is.

But yes, I guess that the problem is more to do with how the game uses potential ability. As someone has proved above, players with higher PA are assigned higher values. Also as shown above and in my experience of the game, it is too easy for scouts to identify players who have high PA.

What I am trying to say is that I think that the one time the game should actually use a players PA is how it affects CA as there is no way that any club, scout etc would know a players PA as it appears to have little relation to CA. I also believe that CA at a young age should be more highly correlated to PA.

About my first post, I re-read it and it came across as rather rude, so apologies.

EDIT: Just read that SI are investigating the issue of PA affecting price which is good. Still believe it should also apply to scouts though as although people will say scouts can't work out a true PA, it is too easy to get highly rated cheap youngsters (with poor CA) thanks to their scout reports!

The last paragraph is.

But yes, I guess that the problem is more to do with how the game uses potential ability. As someone has proved above, players with higher PA are assigned higher values. Also as shown above and in my experience of the game, it is too easy for scouts to identify players who have high PA.

What I am trying to say is that I think that the one time the game should actually use a players PA is how it affects CA as there is no way that any club, scout etc would know a players PA as it appears to have little relation to CA. I also believe that CA at a young age should be more highly correlated to PA.

About my first post, I re-read it and it came across as rather rude, so apologies.

EDIT: Just read that SI are investigating the issue of PA affecting price which is good. Still believe it should also apply to scouts though as although people will say scouts can't work out a true PA, it is too easy to get highly rated cheap youngsters (with poor CA) thanks to their scout reports!

It is realistic because there no matter how hard a player can train, no matter how good his coaching is, how good facilities he uses, no matter how good his mentality is, there is a point at which he will stop improving overall. There will come a point where can't possibly get better overall. That's what PA represents; the limit that a player can reach in his overall ability as a footballer.

As I've said before, players develop at different rates. It is very possible that a player who is seen as the best of the bunch, CA-wise, in a youth intake might not have as high a ceiling potential wise as someone in the middle of the pack. It happens in real life too. I remember there was a time Quaresma was thought to have a higher potential than Cristiano Ronaldo. And look where those two are now.

For the same reason I disagree that PA and CA should be highly correlated in youngsters. Every player's development cycle is different. Sometimes youth stars become world class, sometimes they fizzle out and busts. And sometimes players come out of nowhere and become stars. Or at least surpass all previous expectations people had for him.

The last bit you said has to do with development and not PA. Development is already set up that way (based on personality, playing time, facilities, injuries etc). But there will always be a limit to what that individual player can accomplish. Unfortunately currently it's a bit too steady for my liking; players with high PA reach it rather easily. And I agree that scouts can be a little too accurate.

Archived