Sports Interactive Community
aderow

Who's overachieving in your save?

So I currently in my United save, Newcastle are sitting top of the table after winning their first 9 games. They've only conceded twice. No idea where this kind of form came from :D

I was just wondering who is overachieving in your save?

In premier league it got to be Nottingham forest

2037/38 - 1st

2038/39 - 3rd

2039/40 - 3rd

2040/41 - 7th

In europe Juventus

Was in 3 consecutive CL finals from 2033-2036. But won only in 2033/2034.

In spain top 3 places in last 6-7 years - Atletico, Real, Barca (not always in that order) so no real suprises there :)

Hull finished 3rd twice in a row in the Premier League in 2025/26 and 2026/27, thus qualifying for the Champions League. One of those years they made it to the quarter finals. :cool:

Tottenham have split up the top teams finishing in the top three the last three seasons but the first lower club to break the usual crowd was Southampton finishing 2nd last season.

In Scotland St Mirren broke the old firm deadlock to lift the title last season while Udinese have become something of a force in Serie A (3 titles & 4*runners up).

In other leagues there are odd occasions of mid-table clubs taking a top three place.

Swansea have just reached the champions league semi-final in my game and it's only in 2017/18! No idea how they managed it.

From game start, with me having no influence over this at all, having played in Scotland and Italy during this time, I present the success of Bournemouth.

2013/14: 5th in the Championship, promoted via the Playoffs.

2014/15: 10th in the Premier League

2015/16: 7th in the Premier League

They did then get relegated back down to the Championship in 2016/17... but made the FA Cup Final, losing to Liverpool.

Cardiff finished third in the first season of a save I started today, original database, and IIRC no signings.

It's all the usual suspects in my save. Norwich did reach the champions league at one point but were quickly dismissed in the group stages. Got relegated that year too.

West Brom just won the Premiership in the 6th season. They never had a tycoon takeover or anything fancy.

Scunthorpe. I think it's a bug though. It seems they were assigned gray filler players that were way too good. Starting in season 2 they won back to back to back promotions to the Premier League. They relegated but then went straight back up. No tycoons or takeovers and no transfers in or out until they reached the top, then they started buying up some players here and there. Now about half their roster is regular players they've brought in and half are gray players that I can't scout or sign and have obscure reputations but whose stats look about Premiership quality.

I'm managing in Germany and while England is loaded I don't actually think I set it playable, so I'm not too bothered. It's just weird.

Arsenal are overachieving in my save, they normally finish 4th in real life...

First season in my save Arsenal were in the lead by 20 points at some point. They they fell of and City eventually won it.

Yeah I think Arsenal are overpowered because they seem to win trophies with ease, someone needs to speak with the biased Arsenal scout.

Hardly won a thing in my save, so I'd say you're wrong.

Yeah I think Arsenal are overpowered because they seem to win trophies with ease, someone needs to speak with the biased Arsenal scout.

Done next top nothing in my save as well.

League

Won 1st season then 3rd, 4th, 7th, 9th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 7th.

Europe

Never got past the quarter finals.

FA Cup

Won in 2014/15, semis in 2017/18

League Cup

Won in 2021/22, semis in 2015/16

I'm up to 2036 now, and West Brom are the biggest over-achievers, although due to a tycoon takeover. They only won a few Premier titles but 5 Champions Leagues in 10 years (English teams have won about 15 in a row, including 8 consecutive all-England finals) to make them number 1 in the European co-efficients. They are always in the top-4 in the EPL.

So far the standout has been Wigan, who came 3rd in the EPL in 2017/18.

Arsenal have won the EPL the last three seasons, but that's thanks to a new manager (Paulo Fonseca) and some clever signings.

Fleetwood Town with John Terry at the helm are currently a top 10 Premiership team on my save.

Norwich reached the Champions League at one point, but have dropped back since then.

Had a save where Aston Villa was 2nd after about 15 games. Albrighton had 8.05 average. First season. They finished sixth.

Schalke won consecutive Champions League's in 2024 and 2025 despite getting no where near the top of the Bundesliga. The season after their 2nd title they finished 14th in the league and didn't even qualify.

Yeovil have been winning the FA Cup for the last few years as well as maintaining a solid Premier League position.

Year 2093-ish

Southampton... top 4 for a few seasons, fell away since I bought Shaw though :D

2017 march

28 games played.... newly promoted Reading are 8th

scunthorpe are in the championship (bottom)

MK Dons are 9th in the championship

FC united 6th in Skrill North :D

Ligue 1 table

PSG

Lyon

LOSC

Racing club Lens

stade Rennes

Vitesse have won back to back eridivise titles

Udenese 2nd in Serie A

Valencia 2nd in La Liga

and some epic fail by Crystal Palace they are in League 1 after back to back relegation's

I faced OM in the champions league final in the 2014 champions league final

on my pre January save Wolves got promoted got the premier league on the first attempt, then finished 8th

Southampton! They just won the Champions League in the 2nd season on FM14. Beat Barcelona 2-1. Barcelona beat my very decent Spurs side 10-2 over two legs. The worst part is, my Spurs side finished 4th in the PL and Southampton 8th. So they took my Champions League spot!

Gutting. At least "the kids" get to have a Europa run!

First season in my save Arsenal were in the lead by 20 points at some point. They they fell of and City eventually won it.

So just like in RL then?

So just like in RL then?

Was waiting for someone to say it :D

Man Utd. They've finished higher than 7th on a few occasions, even getting into the Champions League quite adorably, being knocked out by some Russian outfit in the playoff round. They have some hard working lads, I think, and Mr Pulis gets the best out of them.

Mentioned it before in another thread. In my last but one save Spurs qualified for the CL in 13/14 and Won Charity Shield,League Cup,FA Cup,EPL and CL in 14/15. Although Spurs overachieving in FM is an common occurrence in many FM's. I think this is way over the top especially as Tim Sherwood was in charge.

Huddersfield regularly get promoted in the first season also common in other FM's.

I'm surprised no ones mentioned England in the WC yet!!

San Marino (club side), but that's my fault.

San Marino (National Team), but that's my fault.

Latina & Cesena (Italy).

Stoke Burnley Wigan & Millwall. (England).

HSV (Germany).

Belenses (Portugal).

Fulham (7th in Prem 2013/4 and 2014/5), Huddersfield (14th in Prem by end of 2017/18), and David Luiz (still somehow holding down a £120k/wk deal at Chelsea in 2018 :eek::D)

More than any of them though, Karlsruhe SC. With the squad I have there really is no way I ought to be about to go into my second Champions League campaign, having finished 3rd in the Bundesliga twice.

I have 7 leagues playable and 8 seasons in I have yet to discover a real suprise. Everything is still pretty realistic which I like very much.

except for the international tournaments. Sweden won euro 2016 beating Spain in the finals thanks to a goal by Zlatan. England won the world cup 2018 beating Argentina :D

Villa have won the Premier League for 4 of the last 9 years, with Newcastle winning the most recent one. I've just finished the 39/40 season and since the start, only Villa, Newcastle, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea have finished in the top 3.

England won the World Cup in 2014, 2018, 2022 and 2030, so you could say they've overachieved just a little too.

First Season in with a new United game and the League is as follows (15 games in, December);

1st: United - 41points

2nd: Chelsea - 39

3rd: Southampton - 34

4th: Newcastle - 28

5th: Man City - 26

6th: Arsenal - 25

7th: Liverpool -24

8th: Stoke - 23

That margin of points from 5th-8th is insane.

Southampton are brutally overpowered in this year's version, I'm always content with a draw if I play them away (you wot!?) and this is the first time Newcastle have actually surged up the table in any of my games, but Southampton are always in the top four regardless of who I play as.

Bottom of the table looks about right though.

Spurs, always underperform with Sherwood, sack him and them shoot back up the table somewhat.

That Chelsea team is doing my head in, we are quite even in results. I've drawn 2 (0-0 to Southampton and 1-1 to West Ham both away), and they've lost 2 but they just won't stop hassling me and the points tally is ridiculously close. That's Mourinho for you I guess. I'm pretty much dreading losing any games for I know they'd probably surge ahead of me.

Interestingly my next fixtures are Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool (away, home, home) and they're the teams I don't like playing against as they usually do well.

During a save in Germany Watford got promoted 1st season before winning the prem in their first year. They did make some very decent signings with lots of young english players coming in but for them to win it was incredibly shocking.

I wish I could have some wacky saves like you guys. The only interesting things going on in mine are:

-Valencia winning three straight La Liga titles

-Norwich City winning back to back FA Cups and a CL run

-Hearts have managed to wrestle the SPL from Celtic for one season

-Napoli making it to a CL final

-Bologna won the EL

-Hoffenhiem won BL once

-Newcastle won two FA cups and a League Cup with Harry Redknapp before he retired

-England won two straight World Cups. Danny scored the winning goal in 2018 and I signed him from Chelsea after not appearing in the squad for five years and a youth product of mine won player of the tournament in 2022 so I'm taking partial credit for both trophies.

So yeah, pretty boring. Stade de Reims was taken over by a tycoon but they still haven't won anything yet.

Found another: Granada CF have finished in the top 5 in La Liga for each of the last 9 seasons (Best finish 2nd). They've won one Spanish Cup, finished runners-up once in the UEFA Cup and have been consistent enough to be ranked 11th in Europe.

Pretty strange to see so many Welsh clubs up there too. Did you manage all of them at one point?

I've managed the top two, but Bangor got there by themselves.

I suppose when you consider how the last 18-24 months have gone IRL, Fulham finishing 7th in the Premier League in the 2014/15 season is an over-achievement. They were in the top 3 for the first 14 matches of the season, top 6 until game 25 and were never lower than 7th in the entire campaign.

In my most recent save (was gonna be a British Steel into a Pentagon Challenge save, but i've since decided to just use all the leagues i've loaded to follow a more Journeyman type game and just move on as an when i want.) i'd have to say the most Overachieving team is the Turkish national team after they won the 2014 World Cup.

Has to West Brom or So'ton for me, they always seem to do well after a couple of seasons.

West Brom are very good right now. Reading have been top10 for ~10 seasons, Tranmere are a rich club and almost always top5 in my save.

Man City are lower half of the table and sometimes fending off relegation. Arsenal are even worse but have remained in the EPL.

Liverpool and Chelsea still sitting pretty at the top along with me as Man Utd.

I have 7 leagues playable and 8 seasons in I have yet to discover a real suprise. Everything is still pretty realistic which I like very much.

except for the international tournaments. Sweden won euro 2016 beating Spain in the finals thanks to a goal by Zlatan. England won the world cup 2018 beating Argentina :D

Revenge :D

Villa have won the Premier League for 4 of the last 9 years, with Newcastle winning the most recent one. I've just finished the 39/40 season and since the start, only Villa, Newcastle, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea have finished in the top 3.

England won the World Cup in 2014, 2018, 2022 and 2030, so you could say they've overachieved just a little too.

Just a little? :D

I'm in 2035 in a journeyman save. Here's an overview of over- and underachieving clubs (last end-of-season position in brackets):

England:

no team is really dominant, a lot of different league winners over the years

Watford (5th) - were taken over by a tycoon, now have 'worldwide' reputation

Bournemouth (15th) - managed to establish themselves as a PL club, 6 years in a row now

Man Utd (10th) - really struggling for several years now

Scotland:

Rangers (1st) - came back stronger than ever, dominating the SPL for the majority of the last decade

Hibs - broke the Old Firm domination when they won the SPL title in 2031

Italy:

Italian league has recovered financially, top teams can compete in Europe again

Sampdoria (3rd) - established themselves as a regular in the Champions League

France:

PSG & Monaco are at the top, exchanging titles. Both enjoy big success in the CL as well

Valenciennes - were taken over by a tycoon, had a few good years (3rd), then went back into mediocrity and got relegated

Lorient has a great youth academy which helped them getting 'worldwide' reputation

Netherlands:

Ajax & Feyenoord are at the top, exchanging titles

PSV (8th) - just an average Dutch team by now

Germany:

Bayern have 8 titles in a row and won 2 CL titles in last 4 years

Stuttgart (3rd) - turned into a Champions League regular due to good youth academy

Schalke (15th) - just barely avoided relegation for the second season in a row

Leverkusen (18th) - got relegated last season

Spain:

Barcelona, Real & Atletico are on eye level, miles ahead of anyone else

Malaga has a great youth academy for some reason

Edit: I didn't include the clubs that have overachieved after I've turned them into national powerhouses (Paderborn in Germany, West Ham & Liverpool in England)

I'm in 2022 and the top four/five are still Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool (I'm managing them), still just outside the top five are Spurs, but they are joined by Hull and Stoke, so perhaps things are beginning to change ?