Football manager computer game to help Premier League clubs buy players

Premier League clubs are to start using the database belonging to the computer game Football Manager to help identify and recruit new signings.

Sports Interactive, the creator of the best-selling game, will begin feeding its extensive information into Prozone Recruiter, an online analysis platform which many of the top clubs use to scout new talent.

Biographical, contractual and positional information compiled by SI over two decades will be incorporated into the Prozone tool, which provides player data and archived video footage of tens of thousands of players from across the world.

“Prozone Recruiter has been built to supplement the intuition of scouts and coaches by delivering detailed performance information on over 80,000 players worldwide,” says Prozone’s CEO Thomas Schmider. “The Sports Interactive database is a highly accurate and valuable resource that will further enhance the recruitment services that we provide. The integration of Sports Interactive data further establishes Recruiter as the most comprehensive recruitment and asset management platform available.”

Sports Interactive’s studio director Miles Jacobson said: “For years we’ve heard stories of real-life managers and scouts using our data to help with the recruitment process. From now on, it’s official…real managers around the world will be finding and comparing players using data and a search system that will be very familiar to players of Football Manager.

“The information gathered by our network of more than 1,300 scouts around the world, combined with Prozone’s amazing performance data, makes this an invaluable tool for any football club that takes player recruitment seriously.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/11/football-manager-computer-game-premier-league-clubs-buy-players

:applause:

So basically SI will earn a lot of money for the hard work which is done by the reaserchers who are volunteers, who do it for free and for the love of this game. Yeah, well done SI...

moaning for the sake of moaning, you will fit right in

So basically SI will earn a lot of money for the hard work which is done by the reaserchers who are volunteers, who do it for free and for the love of this game. Yeah, well done SI...

You make this sound like a one-way partnership, but how about if this goes two ways? I don't know how the Prozone data looks like, but as Alex suggests, FM's database is but one opinion amongst many. How about FM's database being improved by this by getting second and third opinions from people who actually work with these players day in day out? Or how about the many tools Prozone has at its proposal fueling into both future match engine development as well as player data, so that statistically as well as in-game, players would be more likely to perform as in the real world?

I think this is a really interesting partnership, and it would be pretty wasteful if all SI would be exploiting here would be a little money and PR.

This makes me smile.

For years some players have said that I do not play the game like a true league manager as I look for players for hours instead of just using my scouts, now it is official .... they were wrong. :D

The irony being that most LLM teams in real life do not have scouts. The majority of Conference North/South teams have never in their history. So LLM rules saying scouts only because of realism are the opposite of realism.

is there any benefit for the game besides the PR out of this deal? Will SI be able to use the data from prozone in the game?

SI earn £££, which equals more money for development, which means a better end product.

I came here to post this article and you beat me to it!

<----------look at my registration date...I have been playing CM since even before registering for this forum.

As a long, long time player of CM/FM I couldn't be happier to see the series get this kind of attention. For more than a decade I have told anyone who would listen about FM's extensive scouting network and made predictions on the performance of real life players based on their stats/attributes in FM. Many times I predicted a player to do well before anyone else knew who he was, thanks to FM.

Congratulations SI and the scouting network around the world who have made this such a great game.

I came here to post this article and you beat me to it!

<----------look at my registration date...I have been playing CM since even before registering for this forum.

As a long, long time player of CM/FM I couldn't be happier to see the series get this kind of attention. For more than a decade I have told anyone who would listen about FM's extensive scouting network and made predictions on the performance of real life players based on their stats/attributes in FM. Many times I predicted a player to do well before anyone else knew who he was, thanks to FM.

Congratulations SI and the scouting network around the world who have made this such a great game.

I did the same thing for years and years, unfortunately it did not always work out the way I said it would.

I got the **** took out of me regularly after Bakayoko joined Everton after about a year of me telling everyone just how great he was based on CM97/98 and a big club should buy him.

For years I have wowed my friends in the local beverage consuming premises to that of potential future stars in the world of football, never before revealing my secret life a Football Manager enthusiast.

For years I have wowed my friends in the local beverage consuming premises to that of potential future stars in the world of football, never before revealing my secret life a Football Manager enthusiast.

I know...same here. In fact I'm worried that now the "secret is out" and I won't be able to WOW as many people in pubs anymore. I remember putting out names such as Vitor (Atletico Mineiro GK) Luke Shaw, Oscar, and others before anybody else ever heard of them. Later on when asked how I "knew" I would just claim I had a special eye for spotting talent!

My latest "find" thanks to FM is Kasper Kusk...I've already name dropped him numerous times in various Pub and kick about circles.

My best FM knowledge moment came when Neil Thompson signed for York. As he stepped up to take a free kick, having checked his stats in advance, I confidently stated "Of course, Thompson strikes a good free kick". 30 seconds later as the keeper picked it out the back of the net, I looked like a guru .

I know...same here. In fact I'm worried that now the "secret is out" and I won't be able to WOW as many people in pubs anymore. I remember putting out names such as Vitor (Atletico Mineiro GK) Luke Shaw, Oscar, and others before anybody else ever heard of them. Later on when asked how I "knew" I would just claim I had a special eye for spotting talent!

My latest "find" thanks to FM is Kasper Kusk...I've already name dropped him numerous times in various Pub and kick about circles.

I'd always look up potential new signings for clubs of mates before hitting the pub - and look like a guru and knew what I was talking about.

I name dropped Sahko when he was 16. Along with a few others, Paulinho, Neymar, Vela etc. (can't remember them all)

When asked how I knew about these players I basically said I follow the foreign youth leagues even claiming to have watched a few u18 tournaments.

is there any benefit for the game besides the PR out of this deal? Will SI be able to use the data from prozone in the game?

In terms of Prozone having a deal with a major management brand, this is hardly a first. It would be a first for the game's company not getting a transfer in data in return, though.

KYNqDz9.jpg

As you can see, this was tons more detailed and context-sensitive as SI's fairly standard assistant feedback. Atop of giving the human player a more detailed rundown of a specific match, if so they desire, a Prozone style analysis can also help to improve the AI managers decision making, both in terms of tactics and transfers (no the AI does not cheat, and I've seen it doing highly dubios things in this year's version on at least two occasions, so anyone suggesting such is having the laugh of their lifetime). This is all speculation, but the date targeted for announcing features this year is unusually late. In August 2013 SI had already launched match engine footage, and the major announcements in recent years had all been made by August or early September.

While it might not initially seem to sit well that SI are being paid for what is just as much, if not more, the volunteers' work, there's no difference to this than when people buy the game. Volunteers didn't ask to get paid then, so won't now.

And it has to be stressed they're volunteers, they're doing it for their own development or even feelings of self-worth, and are welcome to stop at any time if they don't need or want to do it anymore.

Archived