Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vegeta01

Help with my 42121

I've been trying (and failing) to get a 42121 over a number of saves, I have restarted as Villa with a few db changes to give them a tycoon owner and a couple of star players.

I'm not expecting to win every game, I'd just like to make it a bit more potent going forwards and drop any obvious flaws on the defensive side.

I've started with this shape/duty on a fluid/standard mentality, only shout so far is Clear ball to flanks

GK-S

CWB-A CB-D CB-D CWB-A

RGA-S A-D

AP-A

IF-A W-S

DLF-S

GK has distribute to defenders, no other team instructions.

I've been trying to avoid making any changes and letting the game go as it will for the first few months of the season while the tactic becomes settled.

I noticed that one game I can create dozens of chances then next game we'll struggle to create anything.

What I'd like to see is the anchor sitting sitting in a pseudo back 3 while the cwb's push forward into midfield, the Regista receiving the ball and either finding the AP(aiming for him to float between CM and CAM and find space to receive the ball) or a ball out wide for the amr/l or cwb's. the DLF is working as expected and does seem to create a few chances with diagonal balls for the IF to run onto.

Cheers.

What are you trying to achieve with this defensive shape? A DMC operates as a midfield sweeper, dealing with balls and runners between the defensive and midfield lines, so if you pull two players back into the DM stratum with only one player in the midfield line, you're leaving a lot of space in which the opposition can circulate the ball. Two DMs can be effective at blocking dribbles through the middle if you're content to sit extremely deep, but even then, I would consider the use of two DMs to be an overkill solution to a low frequency event. This is probably contributing to your lack of chance creation, as you will struggle to win back possession against sides that hold onto the ball.

I would also drop Clear Ball to Flanks since this has knock-on effects to other aspects of build-up. The TI makes it out like it only affects clearance decisions, but in fact, it channels all of your passing out to the flanks across the entirety of the pitch. It's useful if you're being pinned into your own third, but I don't use it if I'm expecting to have a decent share of possession.

I set it up with 2 dm's as I thought the regista would be a liability by himself, so the anchor is there to cover. I expected the regista to push into the cm strata forming a more orthodox 41221 shape when defending and a 41230 when attacking.

So I should either push the regista into CM for a 41221 or use a higher defensive line to compress the space?

A higher line is only going to help so much unless you go for an all out full press. You'll still get pushed back and end up with a lot of undefended space around your MC. A DLP(S) with a "Roam from Position" PI is basically an MC regista, so if you're wanting him to operate ahead of the DMC anyway, I don't see much point to putting him at DM. One of the key ideas behind the regista is that an MC can win the ball back, turn under pressure and play it to a creative DMC who won't be under immediate threat from the opposition MCs. The Regista is less a defensive player than a creative player who is shielded by the midfield line. If that's what you want, you should move the less creative DMC up to MC and not worry about the regista being a liability. A pair of defensively competent MCs will offset the lack of defensive ability of a creative DMC. Think of Pirlo. His defensive game isn't that great, but this doesn't matter because he's situated between 3 central defenders and Pogba/Vidal.

To get an Anchor Man who drops between the DCs going forward, you can use a Halfback with PIs to "Play Fewer Risky Passes" and "Shoot Less Often."

made most of the changes suggested, I want to try with a DM-D before before I switch it to a half back.

-----------GK-S---------

CWB-A CB-D CB-D CWB-A

----------RGA-S----------

--------CM-D AP-A-------

IF-A-----------------W-S

----------DLF-S----------

I had a quick read of the 12 step guide and noticed my fluidity didn't match my specialities so I have lowered the fluidity to balanced.

If you want a regista as your DM I think you'll need to set one of your fullbacks into a support role, preferably the one behind your winger. Reason being is a regista joins an attack rather than sit in front of the defense. With 2 CWB and insufficient cover in front of your CBs you can be vulnerable to counters.

If you play with an A or HB it's less of an issue.