Hey everyone,

I've read with interest all of the guides on this forum and the result has been excellent. Some league titles and some breath-taking football. The one thing I can't see is any guidance on using a Libero - in particular a Libero (Attack).

My Set Up

Plan3Libero.png

Jack Wilshere has been playing as a Regista for the last 4 seasons. I have improved his strength, positioning and tackling significantly. He is one of the most intelligent and technically gifted players in the country.

My vision is to see Jack Wilshere driving from deep into dangerous positions, overloading the midfield and causing havoc for the opposition.

So far the results have been good. A very high scoring pre-season before a 4-0 thumping of an aging Man City side, beating them again 3-1 in the league a few weeks later. Jack Wilshere hasn't quite lived up to my hopes just yet but I'll give it time.

What does everyone think of my system?

If anyone is wondering, I mix this up with a 4-3-3:

PlanAFalse9.png

.. and a counter-attacking 4-4-2 diamond..

PlanBDiamond.png

As you can probably make out; I started with the 4-3-3 which evolved into the diamond (FC dropping deep to AMC and Wingers becoming strikers) which in turn evolved into the 3-4-3 (Regista -> Libero (Attack), DR/L -> WBR/L)..

I won the league last season comfortably using the 4-3-3 and 4-4-2.

The Future

I've just agreed to sign this lad for #34m. He is first choice right back at Manchester United at the moment and I haven't got space in my squad so he's joining at the end of the year. Should imagine he'll be playing at close to top potential by then..

Hall.png

1. Any pointers on how I can improve my system are much appreciated
  2. If anyone would like to share their own use of a Libero (Attack) then I'd be very interested to hear.
  3. What do you think of Hall as a potential Libero?

If I had the correct player type then I'd gladly toy with a libero, but I wouldn't want to compromise defensive solidity. My libero shall be perfect defensively and superb with ball. This is obviously a player type that is a once in a generation type.

But interesting use for Wilshere nonetheless. Do you have a screenshot of him (how good is he defensively)?

I've tried a few times in the past to build a team with a Libero, with no success, which leads to me moving on to other projects (too)quickly. Still there's something incredibly enticing about the idea, and descriptions of a Libero. Not that I have any helpful input for you, but I'll be watching closely.

I do wonder though, is having both your CB's as BPD's actually hindering you? I'd have guessed rather than having them in a standard CB role would be more suitable. Winning the ball, and handing it to the Libero, who then controls the game. As is, aren't they going to try and drive the ball forward themselves?

ScreenShot2014-08-09at71850AM.png

Just thought I'd share this result. Absolute dominance against Spurs. The overall tactic is working very well but the Libero is offering little to nothing.

You may be right about the BPDs; they're bypassing the Libero.

And yes, Jack still has Get Forward Often. Think the only additional PPM is Runs with Ball through the Middle.

If I had the correct player type then I'd gladly toy with a libero, but I wouldn't want to compromise defensive solidity. My libero shall be perfect defensively and superb with ball. This is obviously a player type that is a once in a generation type.

But interesting use for Wilshere nonetheless. Do you have a screenshot of him (how good is he defensively)?

Here's a screenshot of Jack Wilshere with Libero attributes highlighted.

Jack.png

Steve Rowley tells me Jack is now operating at full potential. This is a result from alternating individual attribute training between Tackling, Strength & Positioning for the first 2-3 years. Then Light Regista training, then light Libero..

I always wanted to play with a Libero in Attack role, but its very hard to find the right player, he needs to be good on defense, great on attack and technically gifted, very hard to have that kind of player, i´m thinking a player like Arturo Vidal, Jordan Henderson and Jordan Cabaye, could work, also nice find on Wilshere, never think of him

I always wanted to play with a Libero in Attack role, but its very hard to find the right player, he needs to be good on defense, great on attack and technically gifted, very hard to have that kind of player, i´m thinking a player like Arturo Vidal, Jordan Henderson and Jordan Cabaye, could work, also nice find on Wilshere, never think of him

Yea I'd say you're best retraining a reasonably creative box-to-box midfield player or a complete full back. It is certainly one of those positions that requires an all rounder.

So far the role is actually a bit of a disappointment. Doesn't see a great amount of the ball and barely gets out of his own half despite Get Forward More and favourable PPMs.

Saying that the team results are outstanding so I'll give it a bit longer to adapt. Right now I feel that I'd have just as much benefit with a 3rd DC.

Something just sprang to mind - why do you use Offside Trap with a man behind whose job is to mop up any balls which get behind the conventional DC line?

It seems counter-intuitive, as by default he will be playing people onside.

Very good point. That sneaked in there as I use it in my 4-3-3 when pressing.

Randomly I have barely conceded any goals at all though!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ozil,

I was reading your post and had few tries with the libero. I always end up giving up, probably because it's hard to find the right player.

I think you do have the right player in Wilshere, but I just thought of something and wanted to share:

Is it possible that Ozil as an AP-s is getting in the way of you libero? Isn't he exactly where you want him to get?

I think this would end up messing too much with your "already solid" shape, but I always thought of a libero on a formation like a 5-4-1, where you have a line of 4 in the middle, or the inverted 3-5-2, where you have one defensive player and 2 creators in the middle. I think you need to leave the space for him, just like you do with the wingbacks forwards and the F9 backwards.

Anyways, I would try not having an AMC or maybe having a "very roaming, but not a hub"-like role.

What do you think?

If I were to choose a libero, I'd go Vertonghen. Have you seen the lad's all-roundedness? *head explodes*

Him, Pique and Bartra are all semi capable there to start with, aren't they?

I always wanted to try it with Phil Jones, bit short on creativity, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived