Sports Interactive Community
Djstu23

England - Euro 2016 Thread

So SSN are saying that the players threw up a stink about the team selections and lost faith in Roys decision making :rolleyes:

Instead of taking the Chelsea method and a leader taking charge, they just downed tools.

Pathetic from the players. Could have at least revolted like France in 2010 :D

Sky Sports News HQ

@SkySportsNewsHQ

BREAKING NEWS: Sky Sources: Senior England players also questioned selection of Raheem Sterling against #ISL.

Hope these 'senior' players never play for England again

That SSN article is woeful. It basically lists every gripe any England fan might have had, and claims 'senior players' had them.

yep, but if it's true and it affected their performance then that's embarrassing

Do England even have many senior players :/

Rooney, Hart, Milner and Cahill?

I mean, it's clearly Rooney. He has history of this type of nonsense at United doesn't he?

It does seem like more has gone on, the FA have apparently asked Roy to brief the media twice and he's refused, as have his coaching staff

Woy never inspires me when he talks,, i find myself tuning out tbh,, i can well imaging 20 odd year old players would completely zone out whilst he is wittering on, part of management imo is man management and i have never ever thought Woy could talk to the players and get them going.

Our new manager needs to be tactically aware and also have a fantastic relationship with the players to inspire them , look at Euro 96 , Venables changed things tactically during the games and could also get the players up for a game, we need a manager who has those abilities.

Bring Hoddle back.

Remind me again why we didnt bin Hodgson after Brazil?

Because he was a top bloke init.

Rooney, Hart, Milner and Cahill?

I mean, it's clearly Rooney. He has history of this type of nonsense at United doesn't he?

Making a fuss over his position, contract etc, buthe's always seemed a positive influence in the dressing room with the players. None more so than in 2006 with the WINK episode.

"I don't know what I am doing here," says Hodgson. "I thought my statement yesterday was sufficient."

I actually hate the guy.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36655319

Glenn did not rule out appointing a foreign manager as Hodgson's successor, adding: "We are looking for the best person, not necessarily the best Englishman."

But he said the key thing to address was England's regular failure, which has seen them reach only three semi-finals at a major tournament since they won the 1966 World Cup as hosts.

"We need to punch our weight in tournaments in a way that we have not done in 50 years," added Glenn.

We are punching our weight though? Our usual position is being knocked out in the first knock-out round or the quarter finals.

Hodgson, who resigned after Monday's game, repeatedly questioned why he had to attend a news conference on Tuesday.

But he said: "One particularly bad game has caused a lot of damage to me personally and the team going forward."

Hodgson added: "We have a major bridge to repair - had we played better last night that might not need repairing."

Brilliant, shamble our way to a win against Iceland and we can just paper over the cracks and blunder on as if nothing needs changing.

"I don't know what I am doing here," says Hodgson. "I thought my statement yesterday was sufficient."

I actually hate the guy.

Did he actually say that?

Hopefully this shambles of a team in this tournament will stop some going on about Rooney being a 'quarterback' or assuming the 'Pirlo' role in his later years, as he just doesn't have the technical ability to play that role. And neither do the rest of the team to adapt to a system that uses that role.

Ironically Kane's awful performances mean Rooney probably would have been a better option up front after all the pre-tournament talk of shoe-horning him into the XI :D

Rooney doesn't have the technical ability to control a football with one touch. Awful, awful midfield player.

Chris Waddle :D "They're all just headphones" :D:D

Sky Sports News HQ

@SkySportsNewsHQ

BREAKING NEWS: Sky Sources: Senior England players also questioned selection of Raheem Sterling against #ISL.

tbf they were right about that.

It's not strange loyalty. He was one of England's better players yesterday (if not the best) and he's a 21 year old. The mocking of him is disgusting and I feel a little bit uncomfortable with it all tbh.

He left Liverpool last summer and spent the first few months being booed by random fans because of it. As I said, the whole thing makes me uncomfortable.

Obviously wandsfan dislikes him because he plays for a big club. Sterling is miles better than Zaha or Bolasie for example.

he was? Rashford did more then Sterling did in 4 minutes ffs

yes Scott we get it, you support Manchester United

I've never seen Sterling have a good game. He's not a £50m player and he's simply above average.

It's not strange loyalty. He was one of England's better players yesterday (if not the best) and he's a 21 year old. The mocking of him is disgusting and I feel a little bit uncomfortable with it all tbh.

Even for the sake of an argument if we say that's true it's still probably the most backhanded compliment a player could possibly receive, given the level of performance of the entire team.

He's been utterly dreadful this tournament and not a whole lot better for the season before it. It may not be his fault but whether he likes it or not he's a £50m player and now has to deal with the expectation and criticism that brings when you put in performances like he's done.

He's also been hung out to dry by a gutless, stubborn manager who kept feeding him to the wolves even though it was blatantly obvious he was shot of confidence.

Personally I commend the guy for getting as far as he has with his ability but he really had no business being in the squad for this tournament let alone the starting 11.

I feel like he lacks that creative spark, which makes him too predictable and when you see him running with the ball you can tell pretty easily what he'll do and when. And because he's so one-footed it's easy to force him into positions where he'll lose the ball. Maybe Gardiola will drill those things out of him and turn him into a better player but we'll have to wait and see.

I've never seen Sterling have a good game. He's not a £50m player and he's simply above average.

What a load of bollocks. You never seen him play well? Ever?

Even for the sake of an argument if we say that's true it's still probably the most backhanded compliment a player could possibly receive, given the level of performance of the entire team.

He's been utterly dreadful this tournament and not a whole lot better for the season before it. It may not be his fault but whether he likes it or not he's a £50m player and now has to deal with the expectation and criticism that brings when you put in performances like he's done.

He's also been hung out to dry by a gutless, stubborn manager who kept feeding him to the wolves even though it was blatantly obvious he was shot of confidence.

Personally I commend the guy for getting as far as he has with his ability but he really had no business being in the squad for this tournament let alone the starting 11.

Much like with Wandsfan hyperbole like this doesn't help. He clearly should be in the squad, unless you believe that the likes of Townsend would offer more (Townsend struggles against packed defenses)

Sterling has loads of ability, he's just struggling a bit with confidence. He started the season brightly for City and excelled in the CL. However he, along with the entire City side seemingly dropped off massively in a woeful mismanaged side. He's 21 and people are writing him off as if he's an average Championship player. It's utterly mental.

Expectations for Sterling last night weren't exactly high, but he might have been the only player (bar Rashford) to actually exceed them. Don't rate him particularly highly as a player but there were players a lot more culpable for last night's defeat than the man with an assist

Well if the pressure's getting too much for him, maybe drop him from the England side for a few games and keep him out of the limelight in order to get his confidence back. Blindly backing him won't do anything unless you have the ability to help them deflect pressure. As we've seen from the mentality of this England squad, we have nobody that can do that.

Much like with Wandsfan hyperbole like this doesn't help. He clearly should be in the squad,

It's not hyperbole at all. He had an AT BEST poor season and his performances were only getting worse towards the end of it.

I saw a stat towards the end of the season that said something like Sterling had not started in any of City's 8 previous wins but had started in all of their 8 previous defeats. I haven't actually checked it but it wouldn't surprise me.

What I will say is that Raheem wasn't the worst performing Sterling this week.

Sky Sports News HQ

@SkySportsNewsHQ

Didn't watch the game but wouldn't we have lost 2-0 of not for Sterling. #BringBackRoy

If Rashford is beating 17 players a game on average we definitely should be playing him mind.

If he doesn't don't forget to crucify hin though, especially given he's black

If Rashford is beating 17 players a game on average we definitely should be playing him mind.

If he doesn't don't forget to crucify hin though, especially given he's black

Rashford would need to **** off the People's Club Liverpool first in order to get Sterling level hate.

The state of boots and ajw's posts :D

Of course everyone who thinks that Sterling is **** is a racist, and its only Liverpool fans who are slagging him off. Oh wait.

Nah, it's because he is camp as well as those.

Christ, the state of you two. The kid had a bad tournament, a terrible season and shouldn't have been anywhere near the squad, **** knows what this has done to his obviously brittle confidence.

fwiw, Sterling was woeful yesterday too. Aside from one total rush of blood from the Iceland keeper 3 minutes in, when Sterling was already going nowhere, and even ajw might have seen it.

The state of boots and ajw's posts :D

Of course everyone who thinks that Sterling is **** is a racist, and its only Liverpool fans who are slagging him off. Oh wait.

I think you're taking things a bit too literally. Sterling criticism is far overblown compared to the norm and that is for two possible reasons:

1) The Liverpool ex-player infested media, brought on by their success 30 years ago. Over time those pundits will dissappear and eventually be replaced by more modern successful ex-players. As it stands now, Liverpool are still the old guard in the media and you don't wanna **** them off.

2) He's black, Harry Kane isn't black. Now I don't really believe this, but let's not pretend Sterling was the worst player in the England team on the back of 2 poor halfs (and I didn't see the Iceland game) when Harry Kane was on set pieces/musical statue duty.

The Telegraph has a ticker showing how much he's earned since you opened the page ffs (across multiple articles), name another player that's been done for?

Re: Your last point, I don't think you know how the media works DP. Someone says something in the media and people without knowledge about the issue start to believe. Didn't a referendum go really wrong last week?

Sterling wasn't good against Iceland, but he was much better that most of the team on the night. One of only a few players who looked remotely bothered.

Last week I would have scoffed at even a remote suggestion that Sterling criticism is anything to do with being black as opposed to just playing really, really terribly but now with this country I just don't know.