England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

I think this says a lot really. As well as having most outfield caps he is our record goal scorer. Although Rooney has been a top player for Man Utd & done well for England over the years, he can hardly even at his peak be described as world class

With all due respect this is BS, and I kinda hope you were too young to witness him at his peak, or even when he broke through. Back then I hardly think it was controversial to call him world class. He simply was. He had that fear factor, and was menacingly good. He's not that player any more, but he was a truly magnificent player.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh. Another tournament and another embarrassment. :(

Where to start? Well how about playing the diamond formation you so obviously had in mind when picking the squad eh Roy? He jacked that idea in after picking the final 23 on one game against Portugal. Give it time fgs. The players aren't going to turn into bloody world beaters in a few games playing a new system. Looking back at it now, clearly Roy didn't have the confidence in the players to play the formation that he chose the players on so reverted to type. So we end up having to play a striker, sometimes two strikers out on the wing in Sturridge and Vardy when neither of them are wingers in any way whatsoever. If they aren't going to be in the central strikers position then you don't play them, it's as simple as that. Sturridge doesn't play if he's out on the wing because he has no interest at all in playing there. He just sulks around the pitch.

Joe Hart, for a supposed 'top class GK' as many seem to think he is, maybe they have seen the light now? This level is one step too far for him, he makes far too many mistakes to ever be classed as a top class goalkeeper. He just gets so amped up in the tunnel, geeing all the players up that he clearly loses focus/concentration out on the pitch, chill the **** out dude. He's simply not cut out for this level. Wouldn't be surprised if Pep brought in a new no.1 at City to replace him.

Defensively the team had almost nothing to do in four games yet they've somehow conceded four goals. Hart at fault for two of them. As many said before the tournament started, we aren't good enough at the back and put under any pressure we'll concede goals. Turned out to be true. What were the team doing all last week in the build up to the Iceland game? We all knew that Iceland would utilise the long throw at any opportunity and going off the defending or lack thereof last night for their first goal from said long throw we did nothing to work on that? It was basic, basic defending, eyes on the ball, keep with your man, well clearly Kyle Walker doesn't understand this basic concept as he was asleep in the box for the equaliser, letting his man run straight off him.

In midfield things aren't much better, yeah we controlled 3/3 games in the group stage but only because all three opposing teams sat back and defended and played on the counter, we simpy couldn't break the teams down, bar the Wales game. We've got a talented squad, especially in the midfield department but we just didn't show it at this tournament. I think we would have performed better with the diamond, no question about that, shame Roy didn't have the same confidence in his own players.

So, so disappointed in Harry Kane. He looked shattered throughout the competition, think he played about 65 games for Spurs and England this past season. It definitely showed. He wasn't really involved in the games that he played in for even a few minutes, just completely non existent. It's not down to a lack of quality here either because we all know he is good enough and is rightly our starting striker, putting this one down to too many games and a lack of proper quality service. But I don't ever want to see him on FK duty again, it's cringeworthy watching him stand there like Bale or Ronaldo from 40 yards out when we all know he hasn't got the quality to score from there off a FK. He also can't cross the ball from a FK or a corner.

Fair play to Iceland though, they showed England no respect whatsoever and rightly so. Fantastic result for them, and it never looked in doubt once they went ahead. Our players shrunk right before us, completely froze. You jsut knew that England wouldn't score after we went behind. We couldn't even control the ball or pass.

English football and the national side once again a laughing stock.

It's ok though because at least we have the best league in the world, right? A league that is so on the back of world class foreign players that make our players look better than they are.

The fact is we do have very good players, just that they aren't coached properly to give them a good enough chance when the tournaments come around every two years. Also they are mentally weak and there are no leaders in the national side. Not one.

We'll be saying these exact same things again in two years time people after another tournament let down from England at the World Cup.

So SSN are saying that the players threw up a stink about the team selections and lost faith in Roys decision making :rolleyes:

Instead of taking the Chelsea method and a leader taking charge, they just downed tools.

Pathetic from the players. Could have at least revolted like France in 2010 :D

Woy never inspires me when he talks,, i find myself tuning out tbh,, i can well imaging 20 odd year old players would completely zone out whilst he is wittering on, part of management imo is man management and i have never ever thought Woy could talk to the players and get them going.

Our new manager needs to be tactically aware and also have a fantastic relationship with the players to inspire them , look at Euro 96 , Venables changed things tactically during the games and could also get the players up for a game, we need a manager who has those abilities.

Rooney, Hart, Milner and Cahill?

I mean, it's clearly Rooney. He has history of this type of nonsense at United doesn't he?

Making a fuss over his position, contract etc, buthe's always seemed a positive influence in the dressing room with the players. None more so than in 2006 with the WINK episode.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36655319

Glenn did not rule out appointing a foreign manager as Hodgson's successor, adding: "We are looking for the best person, not necessarily the best Englishman."

But he said the key thing to address was England's regular failure, which has seen them reach only three semi-finals at a major tournament since they won the 1966 World Cup as hosts.

"We need to punch our weight in tournaments in a way that we have not done in 50 years," added Glenn.

We are punching our weight though? Our usual position is being knocked out in the first knock-out round or the quarter finals.

Hodgson, who resigned after Monday's game, repeatedly questioned why he had to attend a news conference on Tuesday.

But he said: "One particularly bad game has caused a lot of damage to me personally and the team going forward."

Hodgson added: "We have a major bridge to repair - had we played better last night that might not need repairing."

Brilliant, shamble our way to a win against Iceland and we can just paper over the cracks and blunder on as if nothing needs changing.

Hopefully this shambles of a team in this tournament will stop some going on about Rooney being a 'quarterback' or assuming the 'Pirlo' role in his later years, as he just doesn't have the technical ability to play that role. And neither do the rest of the team to adapt to a system that uses that role.

Ironically Kane's awful performances mean Rooney probably would have been a better option up front after all the pre-tournament talk of shoe-horning him into the XI :D

Rooney doesn't have the technical ability to control a football with one touch. Awful, awful midfield player.

Sky Sports News HQ

@SkySportsNewsHQ

BREAKING NEWS: Sky Sources: Senior England players also questioned selection of Raheem Sterling against #ISL.

Hope these 'senior' players never play for England again

tbf they were right about that.

It's not strange loyalty. He was one of England's better players yesterday (if not the best) and he's a 21 year old. The mocking of him is disgusting and I feel a little bit uncomfortable with it all tbh.

He left Liverpool last summer and spent the first few months being booed by random fans because of it. As I said, the whole thing makes me uncomfortable.

Obviously wandsfan dislikes him because he plays for a big club. Sterling is miles better than Zaha or Bolasie for example.

It's not strange loyalty. He was one of England's better players yesterday (if not the best) and he's a 21 year old. The mocking of him is disgusting and I feel a little bit uncomfortable with it all tbh.

Even for the sake of an argument if we say that's true it's still probably the most backhanded compliment a player could possibly receive, given the level of performance of the entire team.

He's been utterly dreadful this tournament and not a whole lot better for the season before it. It may not be his fault but whether he likes it or not he's a £50m player and now has to deal with the expectation and criticism that brings when you put in performances like he's done.

He's also been hung out to dry by a gutless, stubborn manager who kept feeding him to the wolves even though it was blatantly obvious he was shot of confidence.

Personally I commend the guy for getting as far as he has with his ability but he really had no business being in the squad for this tournament let alone the starting 11.

I feel like he lacks that creative spark, which makes him too predictable and when you see him running with the ball you can tell pretty easily what he'll do and when. And because he's so one-footed it's easy to force him into positions where he'll lose the ball. Maybe Gardiola will drill those things out of him and turn him into a better player but we'll have to wait and see.

I've never seen Sterling have a good game. He's not a £50m player and he's simply above average.

What a load of bollocks. You never seen him play well? Ever?

Even for the sake of an argument if we say that's true it's still probably the most backhanded compliment a player could possibly receive, given the level of performance of the entire team.

He's been utterly dreadful this tournament and not a whole lot better for the season before it. It may not be his fault but whether he likes it or not he's a £50m player and now has to deal with the expectation and criticism that brings when you put in performances like he's done.

He's also been hung out to dry by a gutless, stubborn manager who kept feeding him to the wolves even though it was blatantly obvious he was shot of confidence.

Personally I commend the guy for getting as far as he has with his ability but he really had no business being in the squad for this tournament let alone the starting 11.

Much like with Wandsfan hyperbole like this doesn't help. He clearly should be in the squad, unless you believe that the likes of Townsend would offer more (Townsend struggles against packed defenses)

Sterling has loads of ability, he's just struggling a bit with confidence. He started the season brightly for City and excelled in the CL. However he, along with the entire City side seemingly dropped off massively in a woeful mismanaged side. He's 21 and people are writing him off as if he's an average Championship player. It's utterly mental.

Expectations for Sterling last night weren't exactly high, but he might have been the only player (bar Rashford) to actually exceed them. Don't rate him particularly highly as a player but there were players a lot more culpable for last night's defeat than the man with an assist

Well if the pressure's getting too much for him, maybe drop him from the England side for a few games and keep him out of the limelight in order to get his confidence back. Blindly backing him won't do anything unless you have the ability to help them deflect pressure. As we've seen from the mentality of this England squad, we have nobody that can do that.

Much like with Wandsfan hyperbole like this doesn't help. He clearly should be in the squad,

It's not hyperbole at all. He had an AT BEST poor season and his performances were only getting worse towards the end of it.

I saw a stat towards the end of the season that said something like Sterling had not started in any of City's 8 previous wins but had started in all of their 8 previous defeats. I haven't actually checked it but it wouldn't surprise me.

Sky Sports News HQ

@SkySportsNewsHQ

BREAKING NEWS: Sky Sources: Senior England players also questioned selection of Raheem Sterling against #ISL.

Hope these 'senior' players never play for England again

Didn't watch the game but wouldn't we have lost 2-0 of not for Sterling. #BringBackRoy

If Rashford is beating 17 players a game on average we definitely should be playing him mind.

If he doesn't don't forget to crucify hin though, especially given he's black

Rashford would need to **** off the People's Club Liverpool first in order to get Sterling level hate.

The state of boots and ajw's posts :D

Of course everyone who thinks that Sterling is **** is a racist, and its only Liverpool fans who are slagging him off. Oh wait.

I think you're taking things a bit too literally. Sterling criticism is far overblown compared to the norm and that is for two possible reasons:

1) The Liverpool ex-player infested media, brought on by their success 30 years ago. Over time those pundits will dissappear and eventually be replaced by more modern successful ex-players. As it stands now, Liverpool are still the old guard in the media and you don't wanna **** them off.

2) He's black, Harry Kane isn't black. Now I don't really believe this, but let's not pretend Sterling was the worst player in the England team on the back of 2 poor halfs (and I didn't see the Iceland game) when Harry Kane was on set pieces/musical statue duty.

The Telegraph has a ticker showing how much he's earned since you opened the page ffs (across multiple articles), name another player that's been done for?

Re: Your last point, I don't think you know how the media works DP. Someone says something in the media and people without knowledge about the issue start to believe. Didn't a referendum go really wrong last week?

Archived