England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To what?

Not sure how I'd go but one player I wouldn't start is Lallana, he's been doing fairly well(pressing/linking play etc) but unfortunately he has the cutting edge of a piece of wet lettuce.

Exactly this. All workrate and no quality.

I don't rate Lallana especially highly, but still can't quite work out why he keeps getting substituted when playing pretty well against the sort of massed defences where his composure in crowded spaces and neat linkup play is actually useful and his lack of pace or directness isn't an issue.

Iceland is going to be another of those teams.

I don't rate Lallana especially highly, but still can't quite work out why he keeps getting substituted when playing pretty well against the sort of massed defences where his composure in crowded spaces and neat linkup play is actually useful and his lack of pace or directness isn't

He seems to tire in the second half and then goes AWOL.

Its been fairly obvious in all the group games, his better spells have been first half/early second half.

EDIT

AWOL maybe wrong, he stops running and gets very static so isn't as available for passes and the link play suffers.

I was also bemused when Lallana (arguably one of the better performers against Slovakia) was taken off and Henderson (largely ineffective) remained on the pitch.

Improve his finishing and he's a quality player imo.

I don't rate Lallana especially highly, but still can't quite work out why he keeps getting substituted when playing pretty well against the sort of massed defences where his composure in crowded spaces and neat linkup play is actually useful and his lack of pace or directness isn't an issue.

Iceland is going to be another of those teams.

I'd like to see him at the tip of the diamond against Iceland. Or even Barkley, because what we've been doing in the final third isn't working well.

Can see us switching to the diamond for the Iceland game, maybe just for that one game though.

Lallana to play behind Kane and Sturridge for me.

It's going to follow the same pattern as the previous three games with us likely to have even more of the ball so let's get two strikers on.

Agree with 2 strikers...I think it could be a good match, we need to step up now and show we can score goals...Iceland definitely will be giving it a go so I don't think they'll be a pushover...we need to be up for this one and then we see what happens.

England have ended up on the wrong side, other than Belgium and Portugal who aren't even that great all the top sides are in England's half of the draw

Said at the time that the Russia game would most likely mess our tournament up, well it has proven to be the case with us having a harder route to progress.

The Indy's chief football correspondent says you lot should go after Klinsmann if Hodgson leaves: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/why-england-should-chase-jurgen-klinsmann-to-take-over-from-roy-hodgson-a7095491.html

I fully endorse this thought, and I'm available to drive him to the airport.

Wales and Croatia deserve an easy draw for finishing top of their group. England and Spain deserve to have it the harder way for performing 2nd best in their group.

Italy won their group and they get Spain, then probably Germany.

Apart from Wilshere right? And I would bring back Kane and drop the one world class striker England has. He is good as a sub to inject late in to the game.

I would start with Wilshere and if he's tiring take him off. He's essential for maintaining possession, providing a level of incisiveness and varying tempo as required. He's our best midfielder (disregarding Dier's obvious importance in the defensive role).

I have no idea where this thought is coming from, but I want Barkley to start. He's just as likely to trip over his own feet, but he might just be the key to unlocking that Iceland bus.

I would start with Wilshere and if he's tiring take him off. He's essential for maintaining possession, providing a level of incisiveness and varying tempo as required. He's our best midfielder (disregarding Dier's obvious importance in the defensive role).

On form yes, but he's well off the pace and not doing that. Certainly didn't last game. Hopefully there's a bug improve the next outing, though I think the shape needs to change

Absolutely no way Wilshire should be starting, was awful in the last game and well out of sorts (for very understandable reasons).

I agree that he's our best midfielder, but against Slovakia, he didn't maintain possession well at all.

Maintaining possession is not about whether an individual gives the ball away. It's a team skill, the ability of a team to move to offer options to maintain possession. Wilshere, as well as being the best technically, is also the best at off the ball movement. He will come short and demand the ball, and generally look for the simpler option, while maintaining tempo. He will generally not hit dumbass cross field balls which both (1) have a higher chance of turnover and (2) lose tempo.

He was not even close to being "awful" (such an overused word on this forum). If you base your opinion on how many mistakes he made in possession, yeah he made a few. But other than that he was vital, on the ball, off the ball, and he was part of the reason as to why we managed to keep good continuity during the first half.

Only reason I think Wilshere was so poor was because it was his first real minutes for over 2 weeks since the friendlies.

He looked alright in the friendlies when he was playing regularly but now he's sat out he's looked rusty again :/ Which makes the reason to take him more baffling. Either play him or not take him.

The one thing I remember Wilshere actually doing is striding forward and losing the ball and Slovakia breaking on us from about 30 yards with full backs pushed up and hardly any cover. I welcome seeing the Wilshere that is such a master of holding onto the ball

He shouldn't be starting, the fact Hodgson pulled him off after 55 minutes means I'd be amazed if he was. Let's start Sterling while we're at it

Iceland have seemed to fade towards the last 10 minutes of their matches. Hopefully they will go all out to stop us in the 90 minutes then start dropping like flies if it goes to extra time.

Man how I would love an early goal though.

We have been decent enough so far, just need that final bit of quality and to keep the tempo up and I dont see Iceland being that much of an issue in the end.

An early goal like the Germans got today and we could well ease to 2 or 3.

EDIT - What we should do as well, is just setup with an attacking lineup. Its obvious Iceland are going to pack the back and leave 1 up (if that). So why not go into it and overload ourselves with Kane, Vardy, Sturridge, Lallana. No point playing tactical cat and mouse when we clearly have the better quality.

Their keeper is dodgy as' date=' just keep peppering him with crosses and shots and we'll be fine[/quote']

My worry is that we still won't find the links and understanding in the final third to worry France should we get past Iceland. What we are doing isn't working for the forwards, and we don't seem to want to change that.

Their keeper is dodgy as' date=' just keep peppering him with crosses and shots and we'll be fine[/quote']

He does look very, with any luck he will be a big part of our game plan, obviously they are going to sit back in numbers so long range pop shots and lots of crosses you would think should do the job.

Its England though so it'll probably be 0-0 after 120 minuttes.

Archived