England - Euro 2016 Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have Slovakia in our qualifying group for the World Cup and you know there's no chance of a full team playing in those, they'll be players dropping out left and right so might be a good tester for not having a full side out in the Quals

How about that for a positive spin :brock:

I like the rumoured team. Not so much that players need resting but more that others need game time. You don't want to stick with same team and win a quarter final against Belgium but then get a couple of injuries and suspensions and need to bring in 4 players that haven't played at all for a semi versus Spain.

Now if Alli or Rooney get suspended or injured (not exactly a far fetched event), the likes of Henderson and Wilshere will be able to step in having had some game time over the last month.

And I know Henderson has his detractors but he is very good positionally and defensively. He will do a job at helping keep us solid tonight and let the more attacking players attack. A team with 2 good, hungry, marauding full backs with Wilshere in behind a front 2 of Sturridge and Vardy, shielded and protected by Dier and Henderson, should be more than enough to beat Slovakia. It's hardly significantly worse than putting Rooney or Alli in.

Positives far outweigh the risks for me. If you get to the final you play 7 games and so it is essential we get players game time in case they're needed. No point turning up to play unless you're aiming to go all the way.

You must have very limited imagination if you can't see us beating Iceland in a tournament.

Well they've improved a lot since England last played them (think that was a 6-1 win, with Darius Vassell scoring twice and Ian Walker in goal). Anyone expecting a walkover will be sorely disappointed. A draw in normal time would be pretty likely if England don't have their shooting boots on.

I like the rumoured team. Not so much that players need resting but more that others need game time. You don't want to stick with same team and win a quarter final against Belgium but then get a couple of injuries and suspensions and need to bring in 4 players that haven't played at all for a semi versus Spain.

I like the cut of your jib!

I like Dele Alli but don't think he's been amazing so someone coming in for him isn't a massive thing atm either

Well they've improved a lot since England last played them (think that was a 6-1 win, with Darius Vassell scoring twice and Ian Walker in goal). Anyone expecting a walkover will be sorely disappointed. A draw in normal time would be pretty likely if England don't have their shooting boots on.

To be clear, I would not be expecting a walkover at all. But if we went out to Iceland I would be very disappointed.

What a pile of turd. It's back to our old friend 'no goals in the team' especially in midfield, said that before the tournament. We just don't have the guile to break down teams when they are like this. Everyone is entitled to play how they want, it's up to the opposition to break teams down but when you expand the tournament you run the risk of including teams who's ambitions runs to 'getting through'

Jeez, they won and they could have finished top or 2nd, ffs but just came for that 0-0. Russia being absolute melts have handed Wales a bye to the 1/4 finals

Make no mistake, this is the easiest group we've had in ages. Far easier than American, Algeria, Slovenia. Despite the automatic elevation of everyone we play to world class level they're all a bit rubbish. How often can you say England dominated all our group opponents? We eeked out a win against Wales but were by far the better team. They are by far superior to the other couple of turds

We're kicking ourselves over not beating Russia. If the order of fixtures were different maybe things would have been different but we dominated Russia and struggled to score and same with Slovakia. Any 'they didn't try to win' is unacceptable, you have to break them down, create, take your chances

The great 'Wilshere will play himself into fitness' hasn't worked, what a waste. Should have started Rooney. I noticed the 'carrying a knock' story to make it appear as though it's not a rotation risk but a neccessity but he came off the bench, no problem, no knock at all. So much for that half fit Wilshere being better than all our midfielders. As feared, game passed him by, as freaking predicted, we'd be here, not impressed and saying 'Wilshere did ok but the game passed him by ... it's not his fault though, he's not 100%' ... you could set your watch by that

Gotta have their fun now, won't be having any during the tourny as group whipping boys.

Whats the code for Homer again?

Wilshere can **** off to be fair, guy is still an absolute waste of a spot, did next to nothing. Wasn't the worst to be fair, step up to the plate Henderson the absolute melt.

Hmm, the two unfit midfielders, wonder if there is a theme here.......

Henderson and Wilshere showed signs of not being match fit but I thought they played ok, Henderson in particular. He clearly shouldn't be on set pieces and overhit a couple of crosses but other than that I thought he played fine. People don't like him and pick out every single wrong thing he does whilst ignoring anything good he does (like that fb pass to Clyne in the first half)

Is nobody going to point a finger at Sturridge?

Man what a greedy ******. Lost possession so much tonight and only passed if it benefited him.

To say Henderson, Clyne, Sturridge and Lallana all play club football together, there is zero understanding between them.

Henderson and Wilshere showed signs of not being match fit but I thought they played ok, Henderson in particular. He clearly shouldn't be on set pieces and overhit a couple of crosses but other than that I thought he played fine. People don't like him and pick out every single wrong thing he does whilst ignoring anything good he does (like that fb pass to Clyne in the first half)

This re: Henderson (although I'm a broken record). Some of the work he does in brilliant and goes unnoticed, then a fancied player will come on and do just the same and the commentators start ****ing themselves about it.

Apparently Henderson was shockingly awful yet created probably our 3 best chances today.

Man what a greedy ******. Lost possession so much tonight and only passed if it benefited him.

To say Henderson, Clyne, Sturridge and Lallana all play club football together, there is zero understanding between them.

Henderson and Clyne were linking up all game.

Henderson was fine

Wilshere was not fine

I agree with this...Wilshere is a good player, but he was well off the pace tonight and didn't look himself. Henderson was probs our best player, especially in the first 60 mins or so.

As Mr Adam has pointed out, the linking up between Clyne and Henderson was the main source of threat until they brought on an extra left back to counter it.

Wilshere isn't match fit, we're playing tournament football and trying to get him match sharp at the same time.

Henderson bar the corners/crossing was fine, he broke through the lines and as has been pointed out helped to create some of our best chances. Fantastic pass to Vardy in the first half too, probably the ball pass of the competition so far.

It was obvious when the team was picked that Wilshere shouldn't have been chosen. Another fine evidence of that today.

But overall I think England have played well, and are unlucky not to have won all three group games. Kane has been disappointing, and England will need him to start performing if they want to progress much further. For all the chances England have created, all those forwards should have scored more.

For England's sake, hopefully there will be more room to exploit against the better teams, as they aren't likely to sit down and counter.

The only issue with this 'England will be better against better teams' stuff is that these better teams are going to show up that defence. I think England have played well too, but they've been against a trio that either have no interest in offering a threat, or were just really poor (Russia). They've done well to make chances, in general, and retain the ball against this lot that have been happy letting them have it.

But the teams who wont sit back will pose a different set of problems. Sure, they'll be easier to break down, but they'll also make a load of chances at the other end. So now these guys have got something to think about going the other way

Yeah, our defence really isn't great. Good teams will 100% score at least 1 against us, no way will we keep a clean sheet against the likes of France or Germany. Watching them though, I haven't thought their defences have been amazing so we should be able to score against them too if we can finish our bloody chances.

As an Everton fan I'm biased but Barkley and Stones would have made far more sense for this game. Slovakia came for a point, so why not use a defender to help build attacks? Cahill came forward with the ball once, **** his pants and passed backwards. As for Barkley, if England's tactic was to shoot right at defenders from 2 yards away he is clearly the premier proponent of that in the squad and should have been allowed to show it off.

Don't think I'm able to evaluate the whole performance as I watched the first half in a pub garden with a bunch of posh *****.

But you know what. I'm proud of this team. I've been an avid England fan since I was old enough, and I can't remember an England team this attack minded, this positive and this care free. It's ****ing tactically naive, it really is, and we're missing a world class player, but I much rather England play the way they have in the last 3 games and flip out, then do the usual **** we conjure up.

Every team we faced so far have been **** scared of us. And rightly so, we're moving the ball quickly and moving the ball forward.' No one else in this tournament is playing this directly, no other team is this expansive.

It's a bit of luck away from working, it really is. Even if we go out in the next game, the blueprint is there for all to see. It's bloody exciting. It needs a lick of paint, something special but I'm so happy we're playing this way rather than the cautious, stop start **** we've been serving up for the past 25 years.

Carry on Roy. I have no idea if you know what you're doing, but I love this England team :*)

BBC gave Henderson a 5

Yeh, Phil McNulty has always disliked Henderson.

It's really quite incredible how he polarises people. Not sure if it's his style of play or what. Not often you get a player that some think was one of the best 2 or 3 on the pitch and others think was by far the worst.

I never said I would be ok with it. I said I cant see us beating those teams in a tournament.

Iceland, one of the teams who people assumed would get smashed pre-tournament, in your eyes would be favourites to beat us?

I never said I would be ok with it. I said I cant see us beating those teams in a tournament.

Iceland, one of the teams who people assumed would get smashed pre-tournament, in your eyes would be favourites to beat us?

Most infuriating player for me last night was Sturridge. Also think Vardy will be much more effective against teams who don't defend for 90 minutes, as perhaps will Kane.

I'm not too downbeat at all. We've dominated each game against teams who wanted to not lose against us, rather than beat us. All top teams would have struggled to break them down last night.

I just don't understand what sturridge thinks he's doing on the pitch. comes back to RB just to play a one two with a defender and run towards the box into a sea of players. odd.

Because there is no one is the pocket to create an angle, so both he and Lallana were coming deep and narrow to try and create overloads. Far fro ideal, but that solves by playing a diamond, so rathe than coming deep to create movement, he can drift into the channel, then cut back and isolate/run at his man. The one time he did do well deep, he create d a good chance for clyne, but it should be Lallana doing that and Sturridge where clyne was

Yeh, Phil McNulty has always disliked Henderson.

It's really quite incredible how he polarises people. Not sure if it's his style of play or what. Not often you get a player that some think was one of the best 2 or 3 on the pitch and others think was by far the worst.

He always seems to have several utter donkey moments whenever i've seen him play, really bad first touches or wayward passing. I admit he is an incredible athlete and covers a lot of ground, and is always willing to get forward and cause problems, but he's such a clumsy lump at times as well.

I'm not too disappointed to come second in the group. It makes for a more exciting knockout now. :) I hope we avoid Portugal but whoever we get from Group F they won't be able to play for a draw. Ironically our players get even more of a rest given we don't have to play till next Monday. We definitely missed Rose and Walker last night and even though I don't think they are great at crosses they seem to provide more than Clyne and Bertrand and I think that will help us break teams down more effectively. People moaned about Sturridge last night but he is a better option than Sterling so we just have to suck it up. I also think Rashford is a good sub for Lallana if he starts to fade in the second half and we're going to have some pace about us so it will be interesting.

On a side, how annoying it is watching football in a pub that shows football, but the people there haven't a clue, or just aren't interested? Was in my local in Hampstead, the table in front of us had about 8 guys who probably arranged to meet for the football, but spent their time talking about horses and fondue whilst tying their jumpers around their necks. Everyone else in the garden were just eating and chatting away. Such a stark contrast to Thursday watching in a packed pub in Stratford, everyone was singing and the atmosphere was great.

We're playing the runners up from Group F? Don't mind any of those teams in there tbh. Would love Iceland.

Also we were a bit unlucky to face Russia at a time in the group stages when a point was good enough for them and then Slovakia when a point was also good enough for them. If it had been the other way around that Wales had it might have been different.

We might moan about certain players but there are very few teams in this tournament that has a complete first team let alone any real depth. Probably only Germany and Spain can boast that. We just have to play with what we have and hope a bit of space and pace will give us an advantage.

On a side, how annoying it is watching football in a pub that shows football, but the people there haven't a clue, or just aren't interested? Was in my local in Hampstead, the table in front of us had about 8 guys who probably arranged to meet for the football, but spent their time talking about horses and fondue whilst tying their jumpers around their necks. Everyone else in the garden were just eating and chatting away. Such a stark contrast to Thursday watching in a packed pub in Stratford, everyone was singing and the atmosphere was great.

We're playing the runners up from Group F? Don't mind any of those teams in there tbh. Would love Iceland.

I got up at 2am to get to the sports bar in Shanghai for the 3am kick off, everybody in that bar was definitely there for the football :D

By the time the Group F games get under way the teams will know what they need to do to qualify. Hungary may already have qualify if another 3rd place team gets 3 points which would favour Portugal. Then again Portugal might only need a draw if 2 other 3rd place teams have 3 points.

Anyone else hoping that NI beat Germany, who then finish 3rd and get Wales?

2nd place won't look so bad then.

Not impossible. I'm not sure if Poland will rest players against Ukraine. If they win they have a good chance of being top so they might not.

This is an interesting point, and raises a wider question I had. Who would the England rather have from that group?

The worry I think they should have is that sides will have watched England be completely inept at breaking a side down when they were really organised. So are any of their potential opponents actually going to come out and attack them? I wouldn't say any of them have the quality to do it effectively, so are they going to employ a system similar to Slovakia/Wales in that they'll get behind the ball and hope to hit on the break? After all, on the rare occasion the defence has been tested, they've failed. They arguably should have dealt with Russia's goal, Bale's was a mistake, and they could and should have been punished against a Slovakia side that didn't seem to know there was an England half on the pitch. If a team can counter effectively and be organised at the back, it could be troubling times.

I think Portugal might actually be the best option, as they seem to be playing at whatever level Ronaldo is at the time. It's hovering around dreadful at the moment. Iceland will play very similarly to systems that England have struggled against.

I'm not too disappointed to come second in the group. It makes for a more exciting knockout now. :) I hope we avoid Portugal but whoever we get from Group F they won't be able to play for a draw.

They can play for penalties, which we will lose though

Don't think I'm able to evaluate the whole performance as I watched the first half in a pub garden with a bunch of posh *****.

But you know what. I'm proud of this team. I've been an avid England fan since I was old enough, and I can't remember an England team this attack minded, this positive and this care free. It's ****ing tactically naive, it really is, and we're missing a world class player, but I much rather England play the way they have in the last 3 games and flip out, then do the usual **** we conjure up.

Every team we faced so far have been **** scared of us. And rightly so, we're moving the ball quickly and moving the ball forward.' No one else in this tournament is playing this directly, no other team is this expansive.

It's a bit of luck away from working, it really is. Even if we go out in the next game, the blueprint is there for all to see. It's bloody exciting. It needs a lick of paint, something special but I'm so happy we're playing this way rather than the cautious, stop start **** we've been serving up for the past 25 years.

Carry on Roy. I have no idea if you know what you're doing, but I love this England team :*)

If you're this excited by a lethargic goalless draw against the kind of side we consistently beat by a couple of goals in qualifying, you're going to absolutely love it if we actually win a knockout game against half decent opposition. :D