England - Euro 2016 Thread

To be fair Bliss, we'd have had more than 4 shots on target if Lallana was actually in the form of his life.

I dunno, I mean he put it on a plate for Sterling who managed to miss the target from about 6 yards out.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As did Lallana twice in the first game

I'm not sure I understand these sort of comments.

On the face of it its easy to slate players for missing the target but in reality they aren't just aiming to hit the target they are aiming for a much smaller space no more than the width of two balls. Sterling's effort was poor but both of Lallana's he had defender & GK in front of him with a much reduced target to aim for.

I think you're giving footballers far too much credit there, in Lallana's case as well as Rooney's effort against Russia, they're just trying to **** it as hard as they can and hope it flies in

Its where the phrase 'they've hit it too well' comes from

Sturridge's shooting outside the box was wayward, but other than that he did exactly what we needed.

Alli looks like he needs a rest, Henderson or Wilshere should also come in for Slovakia

Agree with that, Alli is not quite at his best. We have 23 players to choose from, plenty of which are midfielders, may as well use them. Wilshere, Hendo or Milner could come in and do a job against Slovakia. Alli can rest and come back fresh for the last 16 game.

Resting players seems pretty crazy, a win for Wales against Russia and a draw for us means we finish 2nd and could get Portugal in the next game

Not if we have genuinely good replacements and/or a player is looking jaded. Alli isn't a million miles better than those other players.

I think you're giving footballers far too much credit there, in Lallana's case as well as Rooney's effort against Russia, they're just trying to **** it as hard as they can and hope it flies in

Its where the phrase 'they've hit it too well' comes from

Maybe in some cases, from distance like you say with Rooney's effort he was just aiming in the general direction but certainly with Lallana he was inside the box, balanced & trying to pick his spot.

yeah i dont think replacing alli would lessen our chances of winning the game on monday at all.

everyone seems in agreement we should be playing 2 upfront so whos the number 10? lallana? i'd certainly try him as he's been good so far and he's supposed to be a 10 anyway, i think.

the diamond suits our fullbacks too and even walker could be rested for clyne without a problem.

Resting players seems pretty crazy, a win for Wales against Russia and a draw for us means we finish 2nd and could get Portugal in the next game

Portugal aren't anything to be afraid of, the worry would be that we'd play France in the quarter finals.

If we win the group we get a 3rd place team and then likely the winner of Group F winner (probably Portugal) and Group E second place (probably Belgium) in the quarters.

yeah i dont think replacing alli would lessen our chances of winning the game on monday at all.

everyone seems in agreement we should be playing 2 upfront so whos the number 10? lallana? i'd certainly try him as he's been good so far and he's supposed to be a 10 anyway, i think.

the diamond suits our fullbacks too and even walker could be rested for clyne without a problem.

I prefer the diamond over the 433, but I'll be happy either way with the changes everyone seems to agree on.

If we were to go to the diamond i would put lallana as #10 though for sure

Reactive Roy to start unchanged again and justify it by saying he liked the impact they made off the bench and planned on using them like that again. Except we win 1-0 thanks to a 43rd minute Cahill header and instead Milner, Wilshere and Henderson come off the bench to see out the win.

...only for us to concede a stoppage time equaliser and finish 2nd. Roy bemoans hard luck but praises team for qualifying from such a tough group, before losing to Iceland on penalties.

Lallana must be really terrible if he's playing his very best right now.

Sterling, Ali, Lallana, Kane and Hart need to be dropped for the next game.

Lallana must be really terrible if he's playing his very best right now.

Sterling, Ali, Lallana, Kane and Hart need to be dropped for the next game.

Thats being very blinkered tbh.

Lallana has played well in both game before drifting out of them in the second half, Kane has done ok in his role as a lone forward while Alli has been trying to make things happen. Not sure what you expect Alli to do tbh, you want him trying things in the opposition third or would you rather he played safe balls like the rest of the team?

Sterling needs to be dropped while Hart hasn't had much to do in either game but flapped at both that we conceded.

I think Alli has looked poor by his standards. I think he's a cracking player but he's looked either too tired or too nervous so far. Too sluggish on ball and his touch seems off? Mind you I missed the second half of the Wales game so he may have improved.

Hard to know if dropping him is right thing to do. That win may release some pressure and we may see him back to his best. If he plays like he has so far again against Slovakia I'd consider bringing Wilshere in for first knockout game.

I can't believe I'm saying that by the way. A week ago I would never have thought it possible for me to think it.

Sterling the only one for me who needs a solid drop.

Alli and Kane I'd probably give one more chance. The goal Hart conceded might be the kick in the teeth he needs to get his head on straight. Still undecided on Lallana, I'd maybe leave him out for the next game aswell and play a front three of Sturridge/Kane/Barkley with Vardy to replace whoever is under performing during the game. Dier and Rooney I believe have done well so far although Dier should not be allowed to cross a ball :D

I would definitely have taken Townsend.

I think Alli has looked poor by his standards. I think he's a cracking player but he's looked either too tired or too nervous so far. Too sluggish on ball and his touch seems off? Mind you I missed the second half of the Wales game so he may have improved.

Hard to know if dropping him is right thing to do. That win may release some pressure and we may see him back to his best. If he plays like he has so far again against Slovakia I'd consider bringing Wilshere in for first knockout game.

I can't believe I'm saying that by the way. A week ago I would never have thought it possible for me to think it.

Alli's often like that tbh, was better in the 2nd half though and set up the winner.

Yeah Townsend definitely should have gone, probably over Henderson.

It's Barkley who shouldn't have gone. Henderson at least has a chance of playing.

Barkley is what? 4th choice #10 behind Alli, Rooney and Lallana? And that's even if we play with a #10.

When you think we're short of centre backs, defensive midfielders and wingers, Barkley, as 4th choice attacking midfielder who had virtually no chance of getting a game is a complete waste of a spot in the squad.

Lallana has been getting unfair stick in the past few weeks. I'm not a fan of his normally, I think he's a player who pulls off nice tricks and turns without actually contributing anything, but this tournament I think he's been great with his incessant pressing from the front.

He does quickly fade out of the game in the second half though, so it would have made sense to bring Townsend as a replacement for him.

Lallana has easily been one of our better players. His control and ball rentention is quite underrated and very useful at tournament football. I'm not sure on what planet people are on. You wanna make a claim that he shouldn't start, it could be entertained, but that he shouldn't even be in the squad is not even worth debating.

@scott obviously

It's Barkley who shouldn't have gone. Henderson at least has a chance of playing.

Barkley is what? 4th choice #10 behind Alli, Rooney and Lallana? And that's even if we play with a #10.

When you think we're short of centre backs, defensive midfielders and wingers, Barkley, as 4th choice attacking midfielder who had virtually no chance of getting a game is a complete waste of a spot in the squad.

Rooney is playing deep and Lallana is playing wide as part of a front 3. There's an argument for either in fairness but I can't see Henderson getting on over Wilshere or Milner in the midfield.

who are we likely to play in the next rounds if we finish top?

3rd from A, C or D. As long as it's not Croatia we should get through. Then after that we play either the winner of Group F or 2nd from E, so probably Belgium.

Guys, if we get through, we're 100% playing on Saturday right?

If we top the group, it will be 5pm on Saturday. Finish 2nd and it's 8pm on Monday. 3rd place looks like it could be Saturday or Sunday.

I think Sterling is the only nailed on drop from the starting XI

I am ok with Kane but Sturridge came on and found space and picked up the ball in different areas, Kane didn't do that. I am ok with Sturridge and/or Vardy starting and then if it's not working has no issue with Kane coming on then

This is why we 'overloaded' with strikers, gives us options

Absolutely no resting of players either

I enjoyed Rashford's little cameo the other day too. I wonder if we can actually keep a freaking clean sheet on Monday, be nice, wouldn't it. Been saying for ages but we're good for a goal, very suspect and into knockout football that may be an issue

Yu need to lose to Slovakia.

Wales need to beat Russia.

Then there needs to be a load of teams finishing third on 4 points. I don't see that happening

Best result would be drawing with Slovaks and Russia beat Wales then Wales bottom of the group, we're top :brock:

Romania/Albania/Northern Ireland/Czech Republic/Croatia > Belgium/Hungary/Portugal/Iceland > SF (!)

Ridiculously easy draw to the SF

Croatia then Belgium is tough if that happens. Hopefully Croatia get a point against Spain so we definitely don't have to face them. How is it being worked out which 3rd place team we face?

But yeah, any of those other 3rd place teams we should beat, then Belgium is a winnable, if difficult game. We should beat any of the teams in group F.