Sports Interactive Community
Djstu23

England - Euro 2016 Thread

What's happened to 4-2-3-1? Why isn't he chucking Henderson or Milner or someone in central midfield instead of playing both Lallana and Sterling.

I think Wilshere for Rooney would add some dynamism in the midfield, without movement we might just lose the ball a lot. But it's not far off what I'd pick.

Good to see Walker get the nod though, if that's the team. Thought his performance was about the only positive thing from the Portugal friendly.

What's that then? A sort of 4-1-4-1. Long past trying to make sense of it tbh.

article-2138367-12E257C6000005DC-492_634x321.jpg

It's mor likely to be a 4-2-3-1. Going after Russia's slow back line and makeshift midfield

Lolllana starting?

Ah whatever, LET'S ****ING DO THIS! 'MON INGGGERRRLAAAAAAAANDDDD

:mad:

Did you lot see the video of those England fans chanting at a bunch of Swedish fans?

"you're ****, but your birds are fit"

It's awful, but oh so funny.

Did you lot see the video of those England fans chanting at a bunch of Swedish fans?

And yet they're still copying what the Swedish fans sang at them four years ago - "Go home to your ugly wives"

Here's the line-up:

Hart

Rooney

9 others to pass to Rooney

Woy could just go nuts and start Rooney, Rashford, Vardy and Kane all in the same team /o\

That was at Euro 2012.

Nice to see a section of England fans embarrassing themselves two days in a row with hooliganism on the streets of marseille. :rolleyes:

Rumour is Marseille Ultras are involved with the problems but still doesn't excuse the utter morons of England fans justifying why there is extra Police presence anywhere we go.

Not as embarrassing as the local French youths that keep on attacking the English and doing runners

Yup, lobbing bottles at police is nowhere near as embarrassing as those pesky French youths. One can only assume the police are provoking them. I'm sat here spitting my tea out in utter disgust.

Throwing bottles at police = embarrassing

Throwing bottles at england fans at bars = embarrassing

Throwing bottles at anyone = embarrassing

I'd go make another cup of tea and grab some paper towels. Honestly

We know how the French police tend to deal with groups who are causing a disturbance, it's tear-gas first then ask questions so I have no sympathy for fans who end up being on the receiving end because they've chosen to go over for a booze up with a little football thrown in to break up the drinking (and others) sessions.

Very true and you've got to be stupid to get involved knowing that. Saying that the french way is completely disproportionate and incendiary. Engagement based policing is the way to go and delivers proven results. It wont stop people who go out looking for trouble but things like we've seen so far wouldnt happen. in context of the euros look at the difference between incidents at euro 2004 (barely any) vs the scenes we saw repeated on tv from euro 2000, thr portugese approach to policing was completely different

Playing devil's advocate why should the local authorities change their methods? When travelling to another country you should make yourself aware of expected norms of behaviour, the consequences of not meeting those expectations & then adjust your behaviour accordingly.

We'd sure as hell expect that of anyone visiting the UK.

I do agree with you about the French approach, far too heavy handed & decades old.

I dont think they should change it as such and i cant imagine the french would be happy to change anything for anyone :D also you have to consider that right now the french police aren't going to go all softly softly while they're on high terror alert. Obviously drunk people wont be considering that which isn't going to help matters either. I just think its a shame because fans arent going round terrorising the locals for a laugh or throwing chairs about just because they can. Meh

I think it's harsh to tarnish everyone who goes over. Know a mate from uni who has gone over with some of his mates and from what he said on Facebook they've been happily drinking and watching the game all night with loads of French, Russian and Irish without any issues.

They're just doing what we do best, making utter tits out of ourselves after starting at the bar before lunch & I'm not innocent of that by a long shot.

I think it's harsh to tarnish everyone who goes over. Know a mate from uni who has gone over with some of his mates and from what he said on Facebook they've been happily drinking and watching the game all night with loads of French, Russian and Irish without any issues.

Football fans are one of the last remaining groups where its apparently fair game to just say "group x are scum' in fact someone has done it a few posts above this one. The same people would be rightly furious albeit hypocritical if the same statement was made at a different type of group be it ethnic or religious or whatever. Its a damn shame that people are that pathetic, 99.999% of the people they are slagging off are just like them in that they love football and want to be part of the experience but oh well.

They're just doing what we do best, making utter tits out of ourselves after starting at the bar before lunch & I'm not innocent of that by a long shot.

Your username pretty apt then :D

I just hope the side does well so those England fans are still there by the time the EU vote happens. Keep them in Europe so they can't vote Leave (while they completely miss the irony of enjoying a visa-free trip to France for a few weeks).

England fans will only get worse when their team get's sent home early, will be a lot a anger lol.

whatever is kicking it off,, and i do think the police are always heavy handed with England fans, and there are reports that local youths have been baiting them, its just so depressing to see the same old nonsense ive been seeing since the 80's , the footage on the news is just embarrassing.

I'm dreading the footage tomorrow night now if we lose.

Winning or losing will have no bearing on whether there's any trouble. It'll just be down to how many there can't handle their drink and what the environment is like around them

Worth reading the timelines of @kenearlys or @iainmacintosh for some first hand accounts if you're actually interested in what happened

I have just realised that to watch England tonight I will have to do so with the delights of ITV, with its idiotic commentary & constant adverts. Great. Usually avoid them at all times.

Worth reading the timelines of @kenearlys or @iainmacintosh for some first hand accounts if you're actually interested in what happened

@Beesotted feed also has some videos of some of what they've seen first hand, namely Marseille ultras attacking then running away when the police turn up.

No doubt that some England fans don't help themselves and that some have gone over for the scrap but the default position of "England fans are 100% at fault" is a little depressing.

French police have had 6 months to prepare for a bunch of English *****, Russian ***** and local ***** all descending on Marseille so I think they are handling it pretty poorly tbh.

Not to mention it was only little over a year ago the worst terrorist attack on French soil occurred you'd think there'd be more security and better prepared

Haha love this!

only just saw this :D

kane should reply with a bandaged up head drinking it from a straw out of a glass saying thank you :D

I have just realised that to watch England tonight I will have to do so with the delights of ITV, with its idiotic commentary & constant adverts. Great. Usually avoid them at all times.

No adverts during the match itself. There are times during BBC's droning worst when I've muted everything but the match. After giving them a decade or so, I feel it safe to say there's nothing the likes of Shearer or Townsend can really teach me about football, at least the likes of Savage, Lawrenson, Wright and once Gazza can be funny when not enlightening.

It's not a tournament without people moaning about pundits

Do what I do, avoid pundits, start watching when the game starts, don't bother with half time, look at your phone or something. If you openly listen to these people speaking then don't complain

I guarantee there are tons and tons of things that Townsend and Shearer can teach you about football, don't be ridiculous. They're just not good pundits

I thought at the time "he's subbed Rooney to save his favourite player's legs for the next two games", and his press comments pretty much confirm that was the case. Very weak from Roy really when players like Lallana and Alli faded much sooner but played the whole 90 minutes.

No adverts during the match itself. There are times during BBC's droning worst when I've muted everything but the match. After giving them a decade or so, I feel it safe to say there's nothing the likes of Shearer or Townsend can really teach me about football, at least the likes of Savage, Lawrenson, Wright and once Gazza can be funny when not enlightening.

Can't say I've really noticed your posts before reading this forum but having read them over the last week or so you must be the most negative person ever. You haven't said one positive thing in any of your posts.

Got up at 4am to watch the game, played well but the result was disappointing.

Rooney had a great game and I liked him in that deeper role, it worked for us and gave us that bit of intelligence on the ball without slowing us down.

Kane was poor but service was overall poor and I think he'll improve as we go on. Sterling has to play because he's one of the few willing to go direct and run, the problem is you never know where the ball could be. Full backs had a good game as well, nothing Rose could've done for the goal.

Personally, I would've brought Vardy on as soon as we got the goal. Russia had to come forward and it would've given Vardy the chance to get in behind, to harrass their defenders into playin that horrific Pulis-esque long ball that had failed them for the majority of the match.

Think we need to win the next two games though. Hopefully we finish in the same way we started today.

The absolute worst kind of England fan, constant moaning before a ball is kicked. I think some fans feel the need to show everyone else that they don't think England are good, it scores points. It means you haven't brought into the hype, you see ... you know, the 'hype' or wanting to do as well as possible and win matches .. yeah, I'm against all that

I think we can all agree that Kane shouldn't be on corners, don't know why this is happening

I wouldn't mind centre forward taking corners if he puts good balls in, I'd still want the forward in the box but when the corners are as poor as his it's a head scratcher

The absolute worst kind of England fan, constant moaning before a ball is kicked. I think some fans feel the need to show everyone else that they don't think England are good, it scores points. It means you haven't brought into the hype, you see ... you know, the 'hype' or wanting to do as well as possible and win matches .. yeah, I'm against all that

It's the football hipster thing to do.

Of course, been going on for years now but always reaches a peak around tournament time

1-1 draw with Russia. Nervy first game. Both sides end up settling for a point. Wales beat Slovakia.

We then play Wales. Oh crap, we really need to win this. Wales are on a massive high and are super pumped to do us other. We crumble. 1-0 Wales. Bale wonder goal.

Slovakia ends up being a dour drab 0-0.

That would see us going out. I have this horrible vision of that unfolding. It's keeping me awake at night. I'm secretly dreading these Euros.

Me on the 22nd April :( Sorry lads

Its a fine line though. You are either an England hater or jumping on the big tournament bandwagon. If you are in the middle (like me) you cant say England wont win without being called a hater, yet you cant say they will win without looking like a fair weather fan.

Me on the 22nd April :( Sorry lads

Well if that happens Hodgson needs to get sacked. Think we'll beat Wales though. We're a much better side so let's just play our game.