Sports Interactive Community
Djstu23

England - Euro 2016 Thread

Exactly. There is no way that it won't be Drinkwater or Townsend called up if any midfielder or forward gets injured. Everyone else is on holiday. Delph will be 3rd in line.

No idea what he'd do if a defender got injured. You'd like to think he's had a private word with a couple not to go on holiday and to keep fit. Otherwise he'd have to delve into Toulon team... who did we have as CB there?

Calum Chambers?

I shudder at the 3 CBs already in the squad. They will get shown up by any decent forwards.

If we're going by form, I don't know why Bradley Wright-Phillips didn't get a call up.

Scored another hattrick the other night didn't he? Make that 8 in 4 games or so.

The way yellow cards are handed out these days too it's not just injuries but suspension for CBs

Any of our full backs play CB before?

If we're going by form, I don't know why Bradley Wright-Phillips didn't get a call up.

Scored another hattrick the other night didn't he? Make that 8 in 4 games or so.

He's in an inferior league so it doesn't count.

The way yellow cards are handed out these days too it's not just injuries but suspension for CBs

Pretty sure Bertrand played LCB in a 3-back formation for Southampton this season and did well.

*MLG to confirm in 3... 2...

Unless Roy has zero faith in Dier at centre-back now, Milner is the 5th-choice. I'm sure he's also the backup-backup fullback.

I was banging that drum a few years back after he smashed one in against Bayern in the All Star game

Where does he play? Cypriot league isn't it?

Unless Roy has zero faith in Dier at centre-back now, Milner is the 5th-choice. I'm sure he's also the backup-backup fullback.

Right now I'd pick him ahead of Stones at centre-back.

Where does he play? Cypriot league isn't it?

MLS for New York Red Bulls. He was **** in league one 3 years ago so I'm hoping Bliss is just taking the **** :D

Right now I'd pick him ahead of Stones at centre-back.

Yeah, Stones has been rubbish in the friendlies so far...

Not sure why people are saying Hodgson has no idea how he wants to play. It's been obvious for a while how he sets up. Every game since the World Cup he's played a similar system. Back four, three man midfield of a holder and two box to box types, one centre forward (Kane/Rooney/Sturridge), one no10/creative dribbler who plays from the right or at the tip of the diamond (Sterling/Lallana) and one second striker/wide forward who plays from the left or with the centre forward (Rooney/Vardy/Sturridge/Rashford). Switching shapes from game to game or within games from 4-3-3 to 4-3-1-2. The squad makes sense when you look at it like this. Rashford has just taken Welbeck's spot as the wide forward/second striker. Townsend and Drinkwater were never likely to go unless there were injuries or Rashford showed that he wasn't up to it. Now whether that's the right balance to have an extra forward rather than Drinkwater I don't know, it's putting a lot of focus on Dier to stay fit/not suspended/not at CB.

Team will be something like

Hart

Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier

Alli Wilshere

Sterling Kane Rooney

Where are people getting the standby squad info? I can't find it on any news sites or Twitter. The only thing I have found is Hodgson saying Delph "will be on standby" when he announced he was injured and wouldn't be in the 23. This doesn't necessarily mean he's the only standby or ahead of Drinkwater, does it? Unless I've missed some other announcement?

The BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36413882

"Drinkwater and Townsend said goodbye to everyone involved before leaving the England camp and will not be on standby for the tournament."

"Drinkwater and Townsend said goodbye to everyone involved before leaving the England camp and will not be on standby for the tournament."

Fabian Delph on standby instead. It gets better :D.

Why on Earth hasn't Drinkwater taken Delph's place on the standby list? Unreal.

Hodgson, 68, has been criticised for picking just three recognised central defenders but he is confident England will be solid in defence.

"We believe defending is very much a team job and we can't just rely on a back four and a goalkeeper," he said.

"We need great mobility and great running power to defend in that way. With this squad they've got the ability to give us that.

"Often in a tournament the players that get injured or suffer a lack of form are the guys at the cutting edge, the guys who make the difference or score the goals."

He added he was happy he had so many good players to put on the field.

"Systems win you nothing and football players win you games," he said. "If they perform anything like they're capable of we'll be a tough team to beat."

What :D

"Systems win you nothing and football players win you games' date='" he said. "If they perform anything like they're capable of we'll be a tough team to beat."[/i']

Already deflecting the blame for an early exit from himself to the players. Good work.

Depressing that we're in the year 2016 and the England manager is talking like that.

Can we sack him before our first game and get a proper manager in?

Jesus. Can everyone just calm down on the moaning. You'll have plenty of time to moan when we get knocked out. We've only lost 2 games since the WC. Beat Germany away. And had a 100% in qualifying. Is it the exact squad I'd have picked? No. But let's cut Roy some slack before he inevitable hangs himself and just try and enjoy these upcoming Euros.

Why on Earth hasn't Drinkwater taken Delph's place on the standby list? Unreal.
Fabian Delph on standby instead. It gets better :D.

I think that article is wrong frankly. There is no standby list - hence why Townsend and Drinkwater are not "on standby".

Hodgson said Delph was "on standby" ahead of the Oz game in that he's been set aside but may come back in later, which he didn't. It may at the time have also just been misspeaking to say he was out. The article has taken that statement to assume he's still on standby. There is nothing in that article to suggest he's still on standby or that he's ahead of the others in a special standby list.

Jesus. Can everyone just calm down on the moaning. You'll have plenty of time to moan when we get knocked out. We've only lost 2 games since the WC. Beat Germany away. And had a 100% in qualifying. Is it the exact squad I'd have picked? No. But let's cut Roy some slack before he inevitable hangs himself and just try and enjoy these upcoming Euros.

Fair point.

Were England fans.

Moaning is all were good at.

There definitely is a standby list, or at least Hodgson thinks there is:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/delph-placed-england-standby-list#:YHEpGsFTBrpJ5A

"And the national team boss now concedes that Delph will have to rely on withdrawals from his final 23-man squad if he is to feature for England in France.

"I've put him on a standby list, which he understands and accepts," Hodgson said."

Depressing that we're in the year 2016 and the England manager is talking like that.

Put that on top of him calling Noble a 'Holt', so insulting at least two players, immediately after saying everyone's got a chance and there are places up for grabs. Also the memorable 'footballing reasons' thing an injury called him out on.

He lies through all his interviews, he's got so many ticks. I remember during the 'footballing reasons' crap when he was trying to explain Martin Kelly being called up instead of Rio when a centre-back got injured, he had 10 of them in the first 30 seconds.

Pretty sure Bertrand played LCB in a 3-back formation for Southampton this season and did well.

*MLG to confirm in 3... 2...

He has done well as the left sided centre back of a three, which sections of the media have completely overlooked. I don't think he'd be as suited to playing centre back in a back four, but could be used as one in an injury crisis.

Put that on top of him calling Noble a 'Holt', so insulting at least two players, immediately after saying everyone's got a chance and there are places up for grabs. Also the memorable 'footballing reasons' thing an injury called him out on.

He lies through all his interviews, he's got so many ticks. I remember during the 'footballing reasons' crap when he was trying to explain Martin Kelly being called up instead of Rio when a centre-back got injured, he had 10 of them in the first 30 seconds.

I love that Holt line, like he feels his decision not to take Grant was vindicated by our other strikers' performances :D we were dreadful, no idea how Holt would have done but couldn't have been any worse.

There definitely is a standby list, or at least Hodgson thinks there is:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/delph-placed-england-standby-list#:YHEpGsFTBrpJ5A

"And the national team boss now concedes that Delph will have to rely on withdrawals from his final 23-man squad if he is to feature for England in France.

"I've put him on a standby list, which he understands and accepts," Hodgson said."

That's from the same time as the quote I mentioned - 5 days ago. I get that there's an unofficial standby list but what I don't agree with is that that list only includes Delph and not Drinkwater and Townsend, no matter what that BBC article says. Frankly if there was it would have been made a hell of a lot more out of in the media.

It's quite depressing seeing so many people in here not recognise what a good job Hodgson has done. He deserves respect and trust.

Anyone think we might see this...

Hart

Stones--Smalling--Bertrand

Walker--------------------------Rose

Dier--Wilshere or Alli or Henderson or Milner

Rooney

Vardy--Kane

:brock:

Wasnt sure who would play next to Dier. Or maybe....

Hart

Walker-------------------Rose

Dier

Alli--Rooney

Vardy--Kane

No way they'll let us play with 14 men.

It's quite depressing seeing so many people in here not recognise what a good job Hodgson has done. He deserves respect and trust.

Most people think he has taken a massive gamble by leaving us light at one end of the field to give us options at the other on top of taking players who have injury issues which he said he wouldn't do previously.

It might pay off, it might not but none of this reflects on what has gone before.

Anyone think we might see this...

Hart

Walker--------------------------Rose

Dier--Wilshere or Alli or Henderson or Milner

Rooney

Vardy--Kane

:brock:

Wasnt sure who would play next to Dier. Or maybe....

Hart

Walker-------------------Rose

Dier

Alli--Rooney

Vardy--Kane

[video=youtube;v7hEqCdAwjs]

Most people think he has taken a massive gamble by leaving us light at one end of the field to give us options at the other on top of taking players who have injury issues which he said he wouldn't do previously.

It might pay off, it might not but none of this reflects on what has gone before.

Feels like it's a bit more than that from some people. Feels like some can't wait to stick the boot in. Maybe I'm reading too much into things though.

Feels like it's a bit more than that from some people. Feels like some can't wait to stick the boot in. Maybe I'm reading too much into things though.

I just feel the team we're taking simply isn't very good. It's pretty limited for a 23 man squad, and our defence is going to have a rough time against any team that can attack.

I usually start to get optimistic towards the start of tournaments but I've excepted we'll struggle to even get past the group stages this time.

He's done a par job. He's done no more and no less than the very average expected of him, let's not go overboard.

I don't mind Hodgson. We needed some stability after changing fancy name managers from overseas recently and getting nothing from it.

It's always fine margins in tournaments, everyone slagged moaned at the last Euros, we weren't great but it was pens again, topped a decent group. World Cup was, erm, unfortunate, tough group, games turning on a couple of moments that invariably aren't our bloody moments!

No matter the 'how can he do this/that' or 'I can't believe ...' and 'what about when this happens or that' I am sure in his mind he has certain ideas

Going into any tournament I just want players to play to the best of their ability, concentrate at the back and play without fear. Seems a big ask for most tournaments. You see some teams and they seem to over achieve on whatever their level is. Look at Turkey getting to World Cup and Euro semi finals, they all seem like they put it all in, Czechs sometimes. Italy just pull out these semi final appearances like it's nothing and too many tournaments I look at our players and think 'well, he didn't show up' 'he wasn't all that'

We make it all sooooooo hard to do everything, the crushing pressure. There is no media expectation. Of course, newspapers want to sell copies 'we can win it' 'let's hear it for Roy's boys' and so on but a majority of football journos are not expecting us to win it but you have to go into tournaments with a bit of hope. Get out the group, get into the knockouts and see what happens

Wonder if Welbeck was fit, if Vardy would be going too? :/

Pretty sure Vardy was going regardless. Welbeck's injury opened the door for Rashford and Townsend, not Vardy.

If you're going down the 'he only picks players at big clubs' avenue, Vardy had more chances than Drinkwater to prove himself. Was in the squad and playing at an earlier stage

Surprised he didn't take Luke Shaw. :rolleyes:

I just feel the team we're taking simply isn't very good. It's pretty limited for a 23 man squad, and our defence is going to have a rough time against any team that can attack.

I usually start to get optimistic towards the start of tournaments but I've excepted we'll struggle to even get past the group stages this time.

I'm not optimistic, but UEFA have made it very hard not to get out of the group at least!

Bottom of our group in the World Cup, Quarter Final in Euro 2012. That's not a good job at all. Judge him on friendlies and qualifying all you want but tournaments are what matter. Sven got us to 3 quarter finals. McClaren failed miserably. Even Capello got us through the group before THAT game against Germany. Hodgson failed to get us out the group for the first time in 6 major tournaments, in the first tournament he had time to prepare for. He's lucky to still be in charge.

We're England, we are always crap no matter our manager. Roy's done a good qualifying job. If we do rubbish, then he's no better or worse than any other manager of the modern era. Our players are always too crocked or knackered to play their best.

Bottom of our group in the World Cup, Quarter Final in Euro 2012. That's not a good job at all. Judge him on friendlies and qualifying all you want but tournaments are what matter. Sven got us to 3 quarter finals. McClaren failed miserably. Even Capello got us through the group before THAT game against Germany. Hodgson failed to get us out the group for the first time in 6 major tournaments, in the first tournament he had time to prepare for. He's lucky to still be in charge.

What are you on? He's had one tournament! even in 2012 where he had 2 months to prepare he got us into the quarter finals - by England standards, that's a success. Then in his one full campaign so far he was undefeated through the qualifications. Admittedly we were really bad in 2014, but again he's qualified flawlessly and doesn't deserve such derision.

He's done a decent job, and the next few weeks will define his tenure.

We're England, we are always crap no matter our manager. Roy's done a good qualifying job. If we do rubbish, then he's no better or worse than any other manager of the modern era. Our players are always too crocked or knackered to play their best.

I'd say failing to get out the group is worse than any other manager bar 1 or 2. Why are our players too knackered yet no other country suffers the same problem? And if players are crocked, don't take them.

What are you on? He's had one tournament! even in 2012 where he had 2 months to prepare he got us into the quarter finals - by England standards, that's a success. Then in his one full campaign so far he was undefeated through the qualifications. Admittedly we were really bad in 2014, but again he's qualified flawlessly and doesn't deserve such derision.

He's done a decent job, and the next few weeks will define his tenure.

He's had two tournaments, one he didn't have long to prepare where he reached the quarter finals, average for England(3 out of the 4 previous tournaments we'd qualified for). Then he struggled through qualifying for the World Cup, undefeated but just 1 point above Ukraine. Then proceeded to fail miserably at the World Cup. Since then we've sailed through qualification as expected and won a few friendlies. He's been below average so far so needs a big tournament. Flop in the Euros and he'll have failed in 2 major tournaments. Who was the last England manager to flop in 2 major tournaments?