England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget that if there is a further injury corroborated by UEFA doctors we can still make changes to the squad up until the day of the tournament starting usually.

Every chance Wilshere's legs will give out before then and Drinkwater will be back in.

Those who do not learn from their mistakes are destined to repeat them, such as calling up injured or unfit players and not using friendlies so you have solid replacements for these players instead.

If England are unspectacular, I'll be looking at this as the main reason.

Milner might be alright as a backup for Dier. We're assuming Dier even gets injured, suspended or fails to perform, in which case Milner could do fine. Especially in the group stages which is effectively an extension of qualifying, which England owned.

Don't forget that if there is a further injury corroborated by UEFA doctors we can still make changes to the squad up until the day of the tournament starting usually.

Every chance Wilshere's legs will give out before then and Drinkwater will be back in.

I hope so we should have taken him but we all knew roy was taking Wilshire/Henderson no matter what

I'm honestly quite angry that Wilshere got the spot ahead of Drinkwater. Wilshere has done literally nothing this season while Drinkwater's proved his worth again and again.

I feel bad for saying it but can Wilshere please pick up a knock in the Portugal game that rules him out?

Drinkwater has proven his worth to Leicester, not England. Also, saying that he's proven his worth "again and again" is absolute nonsense. I maintain that you could put Noble in for Drinkwater and the outcome would have probably been the same

And classy move, wishing injury on a player.

Wilshere's made of glass so it's not really wishing anything. I don't think he'll play much, if at all. If he plays he's going to be miles off the pace and probably get a knock during the tournament anyway. He's not really got a place in the current system either because he's not a holding midfielder, yet that's where he seems set to play.

QUOTE=wandsfan93;10857673]Wilshere's made of glass so it's not really wishing anything. I don't think he'll play much, if at all. If he plays he's going to be miles off the pace and probably get a knock during the tournament anyway. He's not really got a place in the current system either because he's not a holding midfielder, yet that's where he seems set to play.

this for me, not wanting to see any player pick up an injury(but he is like phil jones its going to happen)his fitness will be poor so will Henderson's, roy is a fool picking 1 of them let alone both

the squad is not balanced roy has picked only 3 CB (ok dier can cover but he is our no.1 DM now so who covers him???? if not selecting 4 CB he had to pick drinkwater)

dier needs to be covered in cotton wool

added to this he has only put rashford in due to injury concerns over sturridge

Call me biased but can't believe Townsend has been dropped from the national squad. Perfect player to bring on at 75 mins against tired legs at least.

Has proved he can create goals,score goals,(including free-kicks) and beat a man with pace on the inside and out.

Bringing him and Rashford on late on in a tight game would cause major headaches for the opposition.

Exactly what he was doing last two appearances for us.

Yeah but he had two MotM matches against Slovenia two years ago! Can't forget these things. I like Wilshere but my god, I hope he picks up a tiny knock or a cold or something, no chance should he be going. Makes an absolute shambles of the whole process of actually having a good season.

For all these comments knocking Wilshire and how he shouldn't be going. I'd rather take a risk that a) he will stay fit and b) come into some form with games then have another static plodding central midfield featuring Henderson and/or Milner who constantly pass sideways without making any kind of threat on the opposition goal.

At least Rooney has had a few weeks off from people moaning about his contribution.

based on talent Wilshire is the first name on the team sheet:thup:

but taking him and Henderson/sturridge is folly take one of those 3

for me it would be Wilshire with the right cover in the squad if he then breaks down not the end of the world, but 2 other players also with injury concerns is a bad call

He is the only English midfielder who can do what he does though, probably worth the gamble when it's virtually impossible to get knocked out at the group stages so he can play his way into the tournament. The problem is Roy has put too many eggs in one or two baskets. No need to take so many forwards, need to have more cover for Dier.

He is the only English midfielder who can do what he does though' date=' probably worth the gamble when it's virtually impossible to get knocked out at the group stages so he can play his way into the tournament. The problem is Roy has put too many eggs in one or two baskets. [u']No need to take so many forwards, need to have more cover for Dier[/u].

this 100% if he gets injured we are in the poo

There's too much hoping around this squad so close to the tournament.

yes its not balanced to me in several places but there you go that's roy

lets hope those made of glass don't break and we get lucky we never seem to learn though

All this talk about Drinkwater not proving himself for England then what exactly was the point in bringing him in for the friendlies? He did ok last game out and, in his debut he was man of the match vs Holland.

I feel he is more justified having a place in the England squad than Wilshere and even Barkley. Plus let's not forget that he and Vardy have a similar connection to Gerrard and Owen in the ttpes of passes Drinkwater does to spring Vardy through.

Nope, Drinkwater's not even on standby (Delph is though).

Not sure why people are upset with Wilshere over Drinkwater, its Rashford that has been picked over Drinkwater, no way we need to be taking 5 strikers

It's the taking of 1 winger that annoys me the most.

Not sure why people are upset with Wilshere over Drinkwater, its Rashford that has been picked over Drinkwater, no way we need to be taking 5 strikers

It's not necessarily Wilshere or Rashford vs Drinkwater, but I agree on the 5 forwards Do we need all of Barkley/Sterling/Lallana for the 10 spot too. Do we need both Milner and Henderson if you are taking all 3 10s that I mentioned, feels top heavy, and slightly off

It's not necessarily Wilshere or Rashford vs Drinkwater, but I agree on the 5 forwards Do we need all of Barkley/Sterling/Lallana for the 10 spot too. Do we need both Milner and Henderson if you are taking all 3 10s that I mentioned, feels top heavy, and slightly off

Alli is a 10 too! I just have no idea what Hodgson is thinking of playing...

Where are people getting the standby squad info? I can't find it on any news sites or Twitter. The only thing I have found is Hodgson saying Delph "will be on standby" when he announced he was injured and wouldn't be in the 23. This doesn't necessarily mean he's the only standby or ahead of Drinkwater, does it? Unless I've missed some other announcement?

No that's how I read it. Hodge just had to make a point of saying Delph was now only "on standby" ahead of the Australia game because he was already injured before that. We haven't published a full standby list beyond that.

So it doesn't mean Delph would get in ahead of Drinkwater or Townsend if needed.

Exactly. There is no way that it won't be Drinkwater or Townsend called up if any midfielder or forward gets injured. Everyone else is on holiday. Delph will be 3rd in line.

No idea what he'd do if a defender got injured. You'd like to think he's had a private word with a couple not to go on holiday and to keep fit. Otherwise he'd have to delve into Toulon team... who did we have as CB there?

5 forwards is fair enough as they offer different things. It's not like we play one up top and the other 4 are backups.

Kane obviously is the proper out and out centre forward, Sturridge can play a wide attacking role in a 4-3-3 and Vardy will probably be used in this way too. Rooney could play behind Kane or play in midfield, whilst Rashford is then a back-up. It's quite possible that 3 of these could start every match, with the other 2 being used off the bench.

Midfield is the issue, where we have way too many number 10s (especially if you include Rooney). But I suppose Roy is doing it Brendan Rodgers style, have loads of number 10s and just one natural winger in the squad.

Exactly. There is no way that it won't be Drinkwater or Townsend called up if any midfielder or forward gets injured. Everyone else is on holiday. Delph will be 3rd in line.

No idea what he'd do if a defender got injured. You'd like to think he's had a private word with a couple not to go on holiday and to keep fit. Otherwise he'd have to delve into Toulon team... who did we have as CB there?

Maybe JT is on standby?

Calum Chambers?

If we're going by form, I don't know why Bradley Wright-Phillips didn't get a call up.

Scored another hattrick the other night didn't he? Make that 8 in 4 games or so.

He's in an inferior league so it doesn't count.

Archived