England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

Who cares how much experience they've both got? Alli is clearly a superior player to the quite limited Ward-Prowse.

Spurs and Southampton have been at similar levels in the Premier League in the last 2 seasons, for Ward-Prowse to have been involved in 10x more games at a top half Premier League club than Alli shows he has been playing at a high level for longer. I think Ward-Prowse also has stiffer competition this season for a starting place compared to Alli at Spurs. Put Victor Wanyama and Jordy Clasie in Spurs squad and Alli would struggle to have as much gametime as he is getting.

Allí has played only 10 Premier League games, as a Villa fan how much have you really seen of him to say he is "clearly superior" compared with Ward-Prowse? Why is Ward-Prowse "quite limited" in comparision? Why are you so dismissive of him?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hodgson clearly has Ward-Prowse in mind for a call-up...

"We've kept our hands off him simply because of the Under-21s, but we know he's a big prospect. He'll be in our thoughts because we like him very much."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32183150

I think he believes Ward-Prowse captaining England under 21s is better for him than brief cameos in the England senior side.

for Ward-Prowse to have been involved in 10x more games at a top half Premier League club than Alli shows he has been playing at a high level for longer.

Yea been there longer, doesn't automatically make him better.

Lennon has been at a high level longer then Lingard/Ibe. Wouldn't say Lennon is better then Lingard/Ibe though.

They have two totally different roles?

Ummm, I'm not sure they do. Both are versatile and have been used in different roles. I'm not too sure about Ali so correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've seen he started off playing off the front man in a 4231 and now plays in the 2. JWP has been used in pretty much every role, in the 2, behind the front guy and on the right and yet apart from odd moments (mainly his crossing) I can safely say I haven't come away from a game and thought he really affected it. He's a good player, good range of passing and has good moments in games but from the little I've seen of Ali I'd say he has had more influence in games, whatever role.

I agree with what MLG was saying about the squad though. If Spurs signed Wanyama like they wanted to Ali probably wouldn't have played as much. Our midfield is probably tougher to get into but JWP isn't making it tough to leave him out of it.

I don't mind Dier getting a look in there. Didn't he not want to be picked for U21s before cause he wasn't ready or something? Seize the day, young man, any chance you get. Can't remember the details but remember stroking my chin and saying Hmmmmm suspiciously at the time

He pulled out of a friendly because he wanted to concentrate on training with Spurs as it was not long after he arrived. Southgate the petty little slug then dropped him from the Euro squad in favour of Ben Gibson, Liam Moore and Michael Keane despite Dier having played every game prior to the tournament.

Should it be? Barkley could be amazing or more likely very frustrating overrunning the ball and not passing. Kane isn't quick enough to challenge them in behind so we are relying on him bringing others in which can be hit and miss

We are trying something different, which is what we should be doing in a friendly. Whether it works is a different question. But it's good that we are giving both the chance to start against top class opposition and give them the opportunity to learn from it.

Any idea of how much Spain are going to experiment?

I'd like to see as few 'regulars' as possible today, see how they get on and then back to plan A for be France game.

Not sure tbh, he's usually relatively conservative in his selection (no surprises in his 24), so I would still expect it to be pretty strong.

We are trying something different, which is what we should be doing in a friendly. Whether it works is a different question. But it's good that we are giving both the chance to start against top class opposition and give them the opportunity to learn from it.

Oh right. That's fair enough thought you were talking about how it will go on the pitch

Real lack of options out wide with Walcott and Ox missing out. Rooney on the bench. Vardy and Milner injured (I think).

Sterling and Lallana to start but literally nobody else. Possible see a narrow formation at some point in the 2nd when Rooney comes on?

I quite like those two as a pairing out wide balance wise. Not so sure how much of an impact Lallana will have.

Oh no, though I can see my wording wasn't great in fairness. Agree Barkley can be hit and miss, he holds on to the ball for too long, after he initially does well making space.

Barkley is a typical English player. Like a Gerrard or a Wilshere has ridiculous natural technical and physical traits yet may not ever maximise as a result of not being taught about certain mental parts of the game well enough

Got to be looking at winning this.

Since World Cup Germany, France and Holland have all beaten Spain in friendlies without conceding so we ought to be matching them if we are to have some hope of doing well at the Euros.

Would like to see Sterling behind Kane personally.

@SJ234 - Barkley not a typical English player at all IMO. Has a lot more skill and technique than our other recent top talents, and he combines it with physical power. Gerrard was never technically brilliant.

Yeah I disagree. Gerrard has just as much technique as Barkley

Not really sure Barkley's technique is really all that. And besides, the main thing he's missing is composure and intelligence. Gives the ball away too much.

We'll either get tonked tonight or win narrowly and "we're going to win the Euros" mania starts.

Just watch how he runs and some of the things he can do striking the ball. It's clear he has an excellent technique

Ah right that'd explain why they didn't go to the Bernabeu or Nou Camp for tonight's game.

Didn't go Bernabeu because of Pique. The fact Madrid hate him with a passion, 80k Madrid fans wouldn't be ideal especially with El Clasico next week. Would be such a toxic atmosphere for a home game :D

Archived