England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So many runners now, Norway can't track them.

adaptability is the key. the 442 actually started off well but Norway figured out how to stop it (all out defended) and we lost a bit of ground. Changing the formation has opened up much more avenues for us to attack and create more chances again.

Ideally what you'd want to see is England to be a bit more dynamic with these changes rather it just being Plan A and Plan B. there will be times when the 442 will be the better option to create chances it just depends on the personnel and the opposition

adaptability is the key. the 442 actually started off well but Norway figured out how to stop it (all out defended) and we lost a bit of ground. Changing the formation has opened up much more avenues for us to attack and create more chances again.

Ideally what you'd want to see is England to be a bit more dynamic with these changes rather it just being Plan A and Plan B. there will be times when the 442 will be the better option to create chances it just depends on the personnel and the opposition

Whilst this makes perfect sense and I can't find fault with it. I think our default set up has to be something like a diamond in midfield it gets the best out of Sterling and allows for 2 forwards also. Only issue is who plays at the base. But you are right 442 will be required at times.

But you could never fault our usual Plan A and Plan B

Plan A - have Gerrard hit it 50 yards to no one

Plan B - have Gerrard hit it 60 yards to no one

Served us well for over 10 years

You make it sound like he's had a lot to do.

Never said he had a lot to do just that what he has done, he's done well, covered for Baines quite a bit in the first half and been covering Cahill and Baines I'm the second half.

Not after a bite

If we don't build around Sterling, the same as Liverpool, then I do think that both are making a mistake.

We shouldnt be building round anyone. We do this every few years and it never really works. Build a system that gets the best out of the side as a whole, otherwise we yet again become one dimensonal and dependent on a single player.

A win!

Drop Rooney now please, we were way better with Sterling, Welbeck and Sturridge as a front 3. Hodgson wont see that and shoehorn Rooney in for Welbeck again on Monday.

We changed formation at the same time, thats what made a positive difference difference. I would go with the 4-3-1-2 shape against the Swiss too.

We shouldnt be building round anyone. We do this every few years and it never really works. Build a system that gets the best out of the side as a whole, otherwise we yet again become one dimensonal and dependent on a single player.

there is a certain type of player who if you play them right, they make everyone else play better, and i think sterling could easily prove to be one of those. so building around him does get the best out of the side, giving him a license to roam with others making runs will get the best out of players like sturridge, welbeck, ox, walcott and all those making runs will let barkley, henderson and wilshire come from deep and be effective. i mean he's obviously not on that level, but just look at barca, you'd never play a false 9 formation if messi wasn't there, but you build the team around him because that is how you get the best out of the team as a whole. likewise without sterling you'd probably play a more straight 433 to get the best out the team as a whole, and you could look at sterling and say well he can just play on one of the wings, but that's not as good a side as it is with him central.

there is a certain type of player who if you play them right, they make everyone else play better, and i think sterling could easily prove to be one of those. so building around him does get the best out of the side, giving him a license to roam with others making runs will get the best out of players like sturridge, welbeck, ox, walcott and all those making runs will let barkley, henderson and wilshire come from deep and be effective. i mean he's obviously not on that level, but just look at barca, you'd never play a false 9 formation if messi wasn't there, but you build the team around him because that is how you get the best out of the team as a whole.

What do you do if he is injured? Or off form? or suspended? Or simply marked out of the game?

Someone needs to be able to slot in, or be able to attack from another area of the pitch.

If the system cannot work when he isnt there for whatever reason, then we shouldn't be playing that system.

We changed formation at the same time, thats what made a positive difference difference. I would go with the 4-3-1-2 shape against the Swiss too.

I would change the shape to 4312 and also and keep the same starting line up. The only question is which midfielder is deepest. Feels like a waste whoever it is in that position

I would change the shape to 4312 and also and keep the same starting line up. The only question is which midfielder is deepest. Feels like a waste whoever it is in that position

If fit I would pick Carrick. In an ideal world you want this player to be a holder/distributer. So right now, whichever midfielder is best at defending the back 4.

I think we can have Henderson and Wilshere as both box-to-box midfielders. Sterling also tracks back well so the three of them should provide enough cover and a threat going forward too. If there isn't an ideal DMC player available we shouldn't try and shoehorn a player into that role because it's en vogue.

Definite should give up with Rooney as anything other than an out and out striker.

I think we can have Henderson and Wilshere as both box-to-box midfielders. Sterling also tracks back well so the three of them should provide enough cover and a threat going forward too. If there isn't an ideal DMC player available we shouldn't try and shoehorn a player into that role because it's en vogue.

Definite should give up with Rooney as anything other than an out and out striker.

Now/next few games is as good a time to try the likes of Cork and Colback for the holding spot. I would definitely have both Henderson and Wilshere in a 4-3-1-2/4-1-2-1-2 (delete as appropriate). Rooney shouldnt play anywhere else apart from up front, though if he plays like this I would haul him off after 50 minutes for Welbeck. Back 4 seemed ok. Like Jones and Cahill as a potential partnership

I would drop Wilshire for Barkley when he is fit, presuming of course he continues his development as impressivley as he has thus far. I will for sure get laughed at here but Lee Cattermole has been outstanding for us in the holding role over the last 6 months or so, far better than Colback was and I would have loved him to be given an opportunity in a friendly as he would naturally give you the defensive holding role, and his distibution is underrated. Not a long term solution I grant you but surely worth a look.

As expected, talk of a new dawn and new beginning and it's the same fairly tepid performance *sigh*

I refuse to believe that any manager can be so bad to actually make all the players play so poorly, ALL the time. They better wake the feck up for Monday night

Terrible choice of opposition, we really needed to playing a team that keeps the ball better as that is what we are more likely to face. I don't know if it was the formation change that improved things or Norway tiring. Either way, Welbeck looked lively, nice cameo from Delph, Sturridge ok and Sterling good. Rooney was fairly poor again, no idea why

Was all kind of flat and I have no idea what gets said in our dressing room at half-time but 46-57 mins-ish we are generally awful through all kinds of managers :/

People used to moan about friendlies but we'd generally win and play reasonable. Ah good times!!

It's not like we play poorly in friendlies and then sparkle in the competitive game a few days later either. We need to be on our game

No, friendlies are useful and entirely neccessary, it's how you use them that's important

They are important for players to understand each other and the playing style, which is important to win a major trophy. I think it's only the English who don't like friendlies; people in other countries have no problem with it, don't they? At least not in the Netherlands.

And they are important for the FIFA ranking.

Not sure how much beating Norway does for us :/ Need to start winning some competitive games. Away to Switzerland would be nice seeing as they are ranked quite highly

I think we need to be smarter about who we play friendlies again, teams we think we can beat or good teams but horrible times of year (for them) and things like that

Archived