Sports Interactive Community
Djstu23

England - Euro 2016 Thread

Sturridge has slipped to 3rd in the pecking order.

Rooney, Kane, Sturridge and fit Carroll will be our 4 strikers in the summer.

Yes, Carroll :mad:

So we are the only 100% side left? I like that. Though it reminds me of Spain in 98 when they did that and everyone tipped them as dark horses only to comfortable go out in the group stage.

Everyone tipped Spain as dark horses for about 20 years and they always managed to mess it up

Kane will break Rooney's record and he scores better goals too :D

Can't see it he's already 22 and only got 3 goals to his name, needs to average 6 goals a year for England over the next 8 years to get to it & no doubt he'll go through a scoring drought at some point (same as Rooney did)

It's a pretty great record but it would still be tough to put us level with the likes of Spain, Germany, France, Wales etc quite yet. Clearly encouraging how much our defence has improved with Smalling in particular though

So we are the only 100% side left? I like that. Though it reminds me of Spain in 98 when they did that and everyone tipped them as dark horses only to comfortable go out in the group stage.

100% qualifying group teams, all the way back until Euro 92, and where they finished in the tournament itself:

Spain (Euro 2012) - winners

Spain (2010 World Cup) - winners

Holland (2010 World Cup) - runners up

France (Euro 2004) - quarter-finals

Czech Republic (Euro 2000) - group stage

France (Euro 1992) - group stage

Spain didn't qualify for the 1998 World Cup with a 100% record.

Oh well that's me shown. Spain went unbeaten though, maybe that's what I'm remember. Either way I like those odd. Pretty certain to make the final if we finish with a 100% record :thup:

Germany had 100% in Euro 2012 qualifying as well. They made the semis.

Forget Rooney, Joe Hart is now 5 clean sheets away from equaling Gordan Banks :)

10 away from Seaman, then another 36 away from Shilton :D

Is this right? England start World Cup qualifiers in March and then play Scotland in June just before the euros...

That's not how it's normally done is it?

Where d'you get that from? Our WC qualifiers start in October 2016

Yea, oops, read it all wrong, I was looking at the 2016/17 calendar :rolleyes:

Forget Rooney, Joe Hart is now 5 clean sheets away from equaling Gordan Banks :)

10 away from Seaman, then another 36 away from Shilton :D

Yeah but only 3 at major comps and one those games we were already out. Needs to start doing it at the WC and Euros before being mentioned with those names :brock:

Yeah, I thought that was a generous penalty. The 'ol 'why did he dangle a leg out, it's perfectly acceptable for a forward to fall over it' thing *tut tut*

September actually

We start 4th Sep away to Slovakia and then home to Malta in October '16

Yep, I stand corrected! BBC doesn't list that September fixture for some reason.

Fairly interesting stuff. Sure there is a lot more he can say about 2010 though. Seems he quite liked Capello. I now have a mental image of Capello shoulder bumping people now :D

Sounds like a guys that can't express himself tbh. Equivalent of pulling a girl's pigtails in the playground, I think

I am sure there is a hell of a lot more Gerrard could say about that World Cup

Luke Shaw :(

Just when he was really nailing that left back spot down.

Not sure he'll be back for the Euros now. Gutted for him

It may be a touch and go scenario, where he'll be injured until just before but still get a call. We've not had one of those for a while, not since Rooney's metatarsal way back in 06 or 2010 I think? They used to be all the time.

You take that kind of risk on a Rooney but you don't on a left back. I'm gutted for the lad but he's replaceable in the England team and will need to get back to playing for United again to be involved in the Euros.

I was thinking that too. A comes back a little bit before the tournament and we're not sure if he's ready and ultimately struggles :/ It has been a while

Capello did that with Barry in 2010 and was **** for you. Unless a player has no adequate replacements, if he isn't fully fit for the Euros, it's better not to bring him. And in Shaw's case, there is enough replacements for him in Baines (if he ever gets fit again), Bertrand, Gibbs, even Rose or Cresswell. Shaw's injury is more of a loss to United than England.

There wasn't really anyone in 2014, we need to bring back the proud English tradition of calling up an injured player.

How is Ings in that ahead of Berahino?

Bigger club? But I do get the impression Berahino's attitude didn't impress Hodgson on his previous callup.

Don't care if he has barely played, Sturridge should be in every England squad he is healthy for.

Don't care if he has barely played, Sturridge should be in every England squad he is healthy for.

That's true, where the hell is he :confused:

Recent injuries didn't stop Hodgson picking Ryan Bertrand. He has only played one Premier League game since last season. He had knee surgery in the summer, missed the entire pre-season and opening 6 league games of the season.

Why are has Hodgson called up 5 centre-backs?

Bit overkill for 2 qualifiers is it not?

A lack of left-backs is why Bertrand is picked. Like Gibbs. Has Gibbs played for Arsenal this season? Don't remember him starting in the league, so can only be a couple of appearances at best.

Jones/Stones will be backup RB.

They are also covering for right back. Although Jones and Stones aren't particularly good there.

Bertrand & Gibbs - left backs

Clyne & Jones/Stones - right backs

Smalling, Jagielka, Cahill, Jones/Stones - centre backs

Rooney needs to be dropped.

No point arguing it though...we know it ain't happening!

At a top 6 club so of course he'll get a call up now regardless of form :thup:

I expect Alli won't play but no harm in being called up to main squad for a couple of games like this, spend time around the main squad, train and see how it all is. He potentially could be someone that makes his way into the main squad at some point

James Ward-Prowse must feel a bit cheated that Alli gets a call before him.

Probably not. He hasn't been good enough to get into the England team.