Sports Interactive Community
Djstu23

England - Euro 2016 Thread

England 5 wins out 5, 15 scored 1 conceded.

That makes very good reading :)

Indeed. Would love go 100%. Not sure we've ever done that. We nearly did it with Calello but ballsed it up in the last game against Ukraine.

We have a summer break, it's called summer! I assume you mean winter break and if it means an actual break then great but if it means the big clubs jetting around the world to play prestigious friendlies for lots of money then no

Why are we getting rid of the League Cup? Cause it aids the top 6 clubs? How does this help the English national team? How about not having tours after the season ends now as well as before the new season in far flunf corners of the globe. Have some rest then if they really care about players, which they don't. It's about money

18 team league would be ok but no way half the Premier League is voting that one in as half of them are under threat for relegation at some point in the next 5 years to at least be in a dogfight .. no way they fancy removing the weakest 3

18 teams isn't alright

why is it the elite clubs have this superior complex problem?

20 teams is fine, it went from 22 to 20, now the superior clubs want it to go to 18?

i guarantee if these certain clubs were in trouble near the bottom it wouldn't even be suggested, it's a ridiculous notion

i like how captainplanets idea seems to be "copy germany"

the real problem isn't games it's quality of players, and unfortunately for England it will be a long time until we get an early 90's England team again

Spanish teams play 38 games, play a 2 leg Copa Del Ray i believe? are going further in Europe, they don't complain because they have the player quality

the league cup could be the way to go? but i wouldn't scrap it, how about clubs in europe are exempt from it? leaving the prem teams that aren't and the rest of the FL?

the real problem isn't games it's quality of players, and unfortunately for England it will be a long time until we get an early 90's England team again

I agree, there's probably a few trains of thought as to why that's the case though. Some would say that English players are just inherently crap, some would suggest that the coching they receive is inferior and others would argue that during the critical development ages of 18-21 they aren't exposed to top level football like kids in other countries are. I think one is nonsense, two was true to some extent but is certainly improving but three is always going to be a problem while there's so much money at stake. I don't think giving the players a few weeks off six months prior to a tournament is going to achieve a great deal.

18 teams isn't alright

why is it the elite clubs have this superior complex problem?

20 teams is fine, it went from 22 to 20, now the superior clubs want it to go to 18?

i guarantee if these certain clubs were in trouble near the bottom it wouldn't even be suggested, it's a ridiculous notion

I, personally, don't mind 18 clubs but now way the Premier League would vote that through considering half of them may end up relegated at some point

You're right though, these things are muted to make things easier for the big clubs and they do is moan about internationals and things like that. What are making the schedule easier for ... tours and more money making is what

i like how captainplanets idea seems to be "copy germany"

We have been long guilty in England of looking and seeing what everyone else is doing and wanting to copy it. French ... time we put things into practice everyone has moved on, including the country we were copying ... then it's Spain and now Germany

We need to come up with a coherent plan and stick to it and work towards it but no one in the FA seems capable of having an idea despite a lot of chattering about the 'right things to do'

Nice U21 win, 3-2 against Germany on the back of the Czech victory the other day

Ah, our 'experimental' team i.e. everyone's pulled out let's just pretend we intended it to be experimental all along :thup:

Nice U21 win, 3-2 against Germany on the back of the Czech victory the other day

This is the thing, at youth level we're pretty on tier 1 and equals with the very best, it's when the premiership gets its grubby hands on them the gaps appear.

Great result for them, really hope we put out a strong side in the summer because we do stand a chance in winning the thing.

When the Premier League gets their grubby hands on them or when the gaps in physical ability narrows?

When the Premier League gets their grubby hands on them or when the gaps in physical ability narrows?

The former, because we're typically pretty close technically at under 21 level. We dont physically dominate.

Definitely when the Premier League gets their hands on them. When average coaches fail to bring on their game or top sides don't give them the game time. More of our youngsters need to go abroad.

Why would they go abroad when they are playing in one of Europes top leagues?

The answer isn't sending players away it's giving them more opportunities in the English league. We have enough medicore overseas players playing in England, no one is chucking Eden Hazard out the league

I, personally, don't mind 18 clubs but now way the Premier League would vote that through considering half of them may end up relegated at some point

Would get voted through if there's a new league below the Premiership consisting of 18 teams, and the prize/TV money was more then what the FL can offer.

Definitely when the Premier League gets their hands on them. When average coaches fail to bring on their game or top sides don't give them the game time. More of our youngsters need to go abroad.

The issue is mostly game time tbh. I don't think we have substantially worse coaches than most other leagues.

Where's that money gonna come from? Sky paying millions and millions for what is effectively the 'Championship'? Just calling it another Premier League doesn't immediately make it interesting or worthy of millions of quid in prize money

It wouldn't be fooling anyone, it'll still be Division 2 no matter what they call it. The big money is in the Prem and no one wants to jeapodise their spot. The only time this secondary Premier League was mentioned was in relation to their being no relegation or something (Garside from Bolton IIRC)

This 2nd Premier League would have a majority of teams from the Championship. A Championship that no one is paying millions and millions for atm

You'd have a small percentage of the Premiership TV money go towards it, say 10% at most. That's around £500m+ there isn't it? Due to it being under the Premiership brand. By having 18 sides it narrows out possibly the poorer sides from the Championship, with the potential of more bigger current Premiership sides dropping down there over the years. You then have sell it off in a TV deal where rival companies will see it as a chance to get in on the Premiership brand even if it's not the top division. Pretty sure that would already be more prize money then what the Championship has to offer, meaning clubs that come down from the Premiership won't lose as much money making it downsize to 18 sides more acceptable.

All hypothetical of course, but if the Premiership wanted to narrow it down to 18, that'd could be one way to get the majority vote needed from clubs.

Prize money is one thing but people wanting to actually watch around the world is another

I can't see Premier League having any of their money going towards anything other than Premier League!

What's everyone expecting from tonight? Italy weakened also?

Looking like Kane will start, Rooney at tip of diamond and Phil Jones at the base of it. I'd like to see Barkley get some game time despite not superb recent form

I'd take a non-defeat, please and not sure what to expect from Italy from this either .... Italian fans, over to you

What's everyone expecting from tonight? Italy weakened also?

Looking like Kane will start, Rooney at tip of diamond and Phil Jones at the base of it. I'd like to see Barkley get some game time despite not superb recent form

I'd take a non-defeat, please and not sure what to expect from Italy from this either .... Italian fans, over to you

The team we have out for this game is ****. Conte is also ****. You should really be looking to win the game.

Buffon; Ranocchia, Bonucci, Chiellini; Florenzi, Soriano, Valdifiori, Parolo, Darmian; Éder, Pellè << that's the XI that will start.

The team we have out for this game is ****. Conte is also ****. You should really be looking to win the game.

Buffon; Ranocchia, Bonucci, Chiellini; Florenzi, Soriano, Valdifiori, Parolo, Darmian; Éder, Pellè << that's the XI that will start.

That is horrible for the most part. Why?

Sounds like it's Kane and Walcott up top.

Ah, yes, Walcott was the other guy mentioned in the article :thup:

Probably still gonna do us tbh :D

That is horrible for the most part. Why?

Conte's said he's experimenting, wants to see some new players given minutes from the start, like Soriano, Valdifiori and Éder.

Probably still gonna do us tbh :D

Will probably be a draw. Under Conte we've been putting out terrible XIs, playing badly, but coming away with wins or draws.

Darmian is out of the squad?

Conte named him in the team yesterday.

I thought Buffon was injured also?

He had flu symptoms on Saturday. He's fine now.

Pelle nailed on to score against us, the ones playing in England always do when they face us

Who cares who's in here?

Unlike seemingly everyone else in a country or club thread I could not care less who posts in here or what they say. If it's game related then I'll read it and no worries and if it's top bants I'll either smile, ignore it cause it's stupid, reply in a normal way to correct perceived stupidness or shake my head in pity cause they're not remotely funny *shrugs*

I still chuckle when I see Roy's winter walk or whatever it was called. Just so stupid :D

3 things i expect to see in here tonight

Daylight

Rhino

Purple Patch

Nah I won't be in tonight, although I'm still busy trying to get my head around the last lot of garbage you posted!

3 things i expect to see in here tonightDaylightRhinoPurple Patch
Why wouldn't I post in here? Am I not allowed to comment on the match? If you look at the posts I made on the game on Friday, I'm sure you'll agree it's at least a sensible contribution, even if you don't agree with it.

What's this about Phil Jones starting in midfield? ****s sake...

Defensive Midfield I heard. Perfect player to control and dictate the tempo :rolleyes: That's going to be our major downfall in Euro16 with the CBs isn't it. Expect us to be in games where we score 2/3 but concede one more :D

I reckon there might be too much of a gap between Jones/Henderson/Delph and the front three. You're probably asking Henderson and Rooney to find the space between midfield and attack, but actually hope that Walcott has as much of a free role as Rooney undoubtedly will, and that he's not just stuck out on the right, where he mig be isolated. Seems a strange set-up from Hodgson.

If we lined up against a decent side at the Euros with a midfield of Rooney, Delph, Henderson and Jones, I would actually turn the TV off /o\ :D

If we lined up against a decent side at the Euros with a midfield of Rooney, Delph, Henderson and Jones, I would actually turn the TV off /o\ :D

Odds of that happening is quite small I'd imagine :D

I know we've had few pull outs but that team just looks **** on paper - would probs have been better off not even having a game this midweek! :D

Wow, thats the worst team on paper ive seen for Italy in my lifetime, we will still struggle though

i really don't understand Walcott being used up front, and to think in-form strikers like Austin and Berahino didn't get picked :cool:

i really don't understand Walcott being used up front, and to think in-form strikers like Austin and Berahino didn't get picked :cool:

I have to say Walcott being even mention with England is shocking, he's hardly played this season, i agree there are other English players in form, i would be fuming with Hodgson if i was them

I have to say Walcott being even mention with England is shocking, he's hardly played this season, i agree there are other English players in form, i would be fuming with Hodgson if i was them

club you play for seems to have a bigger influence

which is totally wrong imo