Sports Interactive Community
Djstu23

England - Euro 2016 Thread

forgive me for this, i'm not a fan of a Pl club, so i barely see enough games to notice

but how many has Welbeck scoreed this season, and has he been injured for large parts?

Four in 21 games. Based on Welbeck's record for Arsenal so far, Kane could fail to score for the next three-four seasons and still be in more of a purple patch than Welbeck.

certainly could do with a few new defenders breaking through, especially CB

left back looks decent for years

right back is looking good with Clyne

At what point does a purple patch become simply evidence of someone being a very good striker? We're not talking about two weeks of form here, we're talking about averaging more or less a goal a game over the space of four months. There are six weeks of the season left and he's scored 29 goals, with 19 in the league since November. And he's not tailing off, his record is actually improving game on game.

I actually rate Danny Welbeck, a lot of what he offers isn't immediately obvious and I agree there's more to it than simply picking the best eleven. But dismissing Kane's exploits this season as just a purple patch is laughable. If he scores five more league goals this season he will have equalled Danny Welbeck's record for his ENTIRE seven year Premier League career.

Well he has to do it for more than half a season; I think we have to wait till this time next season to really know. I don't think there is a clear point it depends upon the player for instance with Sturridge as seen as he consistently became more of a team player whilst for Kane it is possibly longer because whilst the end product is brilliant it is perhaps less clear why. Generally I think you should show caution with form before saying they are actually that good. I think with Kane it isn't really debatable that he'll regress to the mean the question is what is that mean.

Isn't Kane's goal tally increased by his time in the football league?

Not relevant in a discussion where you're saying Welbeck should start ahead of Kane?

Yeah I haven't said that.

Who should start tonight?

I don't really care who starts as I think whoever we play will do well enough. I am just railing against the nonsensical notion that Kane should automatically start because of his excellent form or that there should be no debate over it. There are pros and cons to all of the options and club form shouldn't be the determining factor. Furthermore whether Kane's form is to stay or is a purple patch isn't really that relevant to whether we pick him now for England

In terms of what I would do I would go Welbeck and Rooney to begin with as it is an established partnership proven to work well and I would bring on Kane, if he has impressed in training, at the earliest opportunity when we are comfortably in front. If we aren't comfortably ahead it is a different issue and the answer isn't quite so clear cut. However I don't see an issue with other people starting Kane over Welbeck.

Four in 21 games. Based on Welbeck's record for Arsenal so far, Kane could fail to score for the next three-four seasons and still be in more of a purple patch than Welbeck.

Welbeck is better for England than he usually is for club to be fair. Only Rooney has scored more for England under Hodgson than Welbeck has. 18 and 13 goals respectively I believe.

Easy game against the Russians tonight :thup:

England 3-0 Lithuania.

certainly could do with a few new defenders breaking through, especially CB

As far as I've known football, we've always had some decent CBs, from Adams to Campball to Terry/Rio, but atm we really lack in that area. Jones was hailed the new big thing, but he really has not improved at all since he moved from Blackburn, well not to the levels people had expected (hopefully Shaw won't be the same but could happen), Smalling even though in good form atm always looks shaky and a higher profile Titus Bramble where a huge mistake is always in him, Jagielka had fallen off a cliff edge and Cahil doesn't look as solid as he has been in the past. Not clued up on the future CBs, but it's not looking good for me.

Kane on bench.

Delph starting.

Welbeck and Rooney up front with sterling. Hendo and carrick with delph in midfield.

4-3-1-2? Really?

I have it more...

Hart

Clyne--Cahill--Jones--Baines

Henderson--Carrick--Delph

Welbeck-----Rooney----Sterling

Could be either we have done the diamond thing recently and the 4-3-3

Not unusual the new guy isn't ushered straight into the line but I'd be amazed if Kane doesn't feature and then again for Italy, maybe even starting that one

Well my bet earlier today on Kane to score a Hat Trick is now void.

Saved you some money then :brock:

Not unusual the new guy isn't ushered straight into the line but I'd be amazed if Kane doesn't feature and then again for Italy, maybe even starting that one

yeah only happens when the club is named Man Utd or Chelsea iirc :D

i can understand not wanting to mix things up, but it's Lituania ffs, England typical again of being too nervous to experiment in a competitive game, something Germany and top nations do alot

We all said this group was basically a perfect group to bed in the future players to see how they cope as should still get the wins regardless, yet we (or more like Roy) won't do that.

As long as the same style/structure is in place then you should be able to include 1/2 new people in the starting line up to see how they adapt.

We know what Danny can offer as he's been in good goal scoring form this group so far, why not see Kane from the start instead of a possible 15-30 minutes at the end.

As far as I've known football, we've always had some decent CBs, from Adams to Campball to Terry/Rio, but atm we really lack in that area. Jones was hailed the new big thing, but he really has not improved at all since he moved from Blackburn, well not to the levels people had expected (hopefully Shaw won't be the same but could happen), Smalling even though in good form atm always looks shaky and a higher profile Titus Bramble where a huge mistake is always in him, Jagielka had fallen off a cliff edge and Cahil doesn't look as solid as he has been in the past. Not clued up on the future CBs, but it's not looking good for me.

Easy to forget Jones is only 22 though. That's the same age Terry was when he got his first cap. He's got plenty of time to improve

i can understand not wanting to mix things up, but it's Lituania ffs, England typical again of being too nervous to experiment in a competitive game, something Germany and top nations do alot

The flip side of that is dropping someone that has been doing ok for England for no real reason

Kane comes and and is stiffled by a defence and frustrated by a team that we are 'supposed to hammer' (happens a fair bit) and then everyone writes him off

I don't have any problem him coming off the bench

Poor from Rooney should score.

Also hitting the post is not unlucky...your shot just wasn't good enough.

I thought Andy Townsend had gone to BT Sports, i could have sworn i heard him doing commentary on the Premier league

Ian Wright starts off by saying what alot of us are thinking, why are these managers so reluctant to let it happen?

Andy Cole didn't even get capped while @ Newcastle

Yeah there's less competition now but :D

is that a new song being played by the band?

Nah, they are just more out of tune than normal tonight

Are Lithuania a part time football nation

Nah, Pro league. Only 3 teams have won the league the past 16 seasons

Runs from March to November. Thanks wiki

If ever there was a time to run with the ball that was it for Sterling instead of dinking it towards Welbeck who has a man near him

wheres the lad gone from here that said roy hodgson doesn't pick black players?

It's all got a bit slack in that way we do when we think we got it in the bag against a 'minnow'

Another before half time would be handy

Welbecks done a few things, but i think a half-time change for Kane wouldn't alter much and could see his partnership with Rooney in a competetive game with a decent amount of time left