Sports Interactive Community
Djstu23

England - Euro 2016 Thread

To be honest if Rose went and played for Jamaica would it hurt us?

I'd have Bertrand ahead of him, personally

Exactly. Rose must realise in a season where Shaw has been injured for 3/4 of it and still gets picked ahead of him, he has not future in the NT. Bertrand has contributed to a lot of Southampton's attacks and scored and assisted a few while being a key reason for their defensive solidarity. How he is not merited with a call up his crazy. Maybe he should have stayed back up at Chelsea to gain Hodgson's attention.

How ironic... does not get called up by the NT and suddenly is injured. I think majority of people know he probably has feigned his injury.

What chance of him going to U21s then in off-season? Players like him should be chomping at the bit to go to tournaments and not think cause of one senior call up you're above it all

Exactly. Berhaino seems to be too full of himself for a start anyway so probably feels he is too good for the U21. One thing for sure is there is no way Berahino will accept staying at WBA this summer after not being called up. For the tournament he probably will want to play but for games upcoming, I think a lot of them who feel they are capable of playing for the senior squad don't think it is worth playing in.

England should take their strongest lineup to the U21 tournament, maybe the likes of Wilshere and Sterling have grounds to feel like they're "above" it but there's no reason why players like Shaw, Ox and Barkley shouldn't go. Instead though we're probably going to end up with a B team consisting of the likes of Gibson, Forster-Caskey, Wilson etc.

I know, those guys you mention should all go imo

This happens every tournament though as various managers express doubts about tiredness as they spend pre season flying around with the player that needed so much rest this summer. Pathetic. Rinse and repeat though and then U21 will fail and everyone will wonder what's happening

So Lithuania and Italy friendly right? Was actually thinking about taking my Lithuanian gf to the match, but she said the idea of sitting with 5000 Lithuanian football fans is horrible. So probably won't.

Should beat Lithu easily enough, expect at least 4 goals.

Kane or Sturridge to partner Rooney will be the main talking point. I'd start with Sturridge and then give Kane 35 minutes or so, but I can't really think of why though. This would be a great introduction to senior International football for Kane, but I think they'll be so much pressure on him to perform as a starter i'd rather see him coming on from the bench.

The rest is all a bit meh. With Sterling not having the same impact as last season, there's not much to get excited about in midfield. Henderson's progress this season, maybe. Can't believe Townsend's in the squad.

Lallana is out. Hodgson will probably call up a 4th left-back to replace him.

Cresswell does deserve a call up in fairness.

Hart; Clyne, Cahill, Jones, Baines; Carrick; Henderson, Delph; Sterling; Rooney, Kane

Not a great fan of Jones but he started the last couple of games I think.

Think Kane has to start, he's the joint top scorer in the Premier League despite not being a regular for the first 3 months. He's our best striker.

England should take their strongest lineup to the U21 tournament, maybe the likes of Wilshere and Sterling have grounds to feel like they're "above" it but there's no reason why players like Shaw, Ox and Barkley shouldn't go. Instead though we're probably going to end up with a B team consisting of the likes of Gibson, Forster-Caskey, Wilson etc.

Would be such a waste especially as the first 3 players you mention actually enjoy playing with the under 21s, and we could certainly put out a team capable of winning it.

Never heard of Bettinelli, Bond, Gibson, Forster-Caskey or Wilson. Doesn't James Wilson get called up?

As a midlander (I presume?) you should know who Callum Wilson is :mad:

Tbh he's basically going to be the next Agbonlahor once he reaches the prem, guy is an utter pace merchant.

As a midlander (I presume?) you should know who Callum Wilson is :mad:

Tbh he's basically going to be the next Agbonlahor once he reaches the prem, guy is an utter pace merchant.

I am indeed but honestly no idea :D

I used to be quite into the Championship a few years back but nowadays I don't have a clue what's going on in that league.

Random, wouldn't think he'd be the one called up. Think a few players should consider their International retirement.

Such as?

Mick Channon, Danny Wallace

Random, wouldn't think he'd be the one called up. Think a few players should consider their International retirement.

Probably a token call up for a youngster, train and won't see any pitch

Hart; Clyne, Cahill, Jones, Baines; Carrick; Henderson, Delph; Sterling; Rooney, Kane

Not a great fan of Jones but he started the last couple of games I think.

IIRC Jones had been starting prior to getting an injury

This is an 'easy' (OMG typical England, under-estimating teams, that's why we don't win tournaments, etc etc) and we know what Jags offers so I'd have Jones or Smalling with Cahill

I'd agree with the rest

Italy game will no doubt feature some more tweaks and muscle injuries so who knows who will be left for that and how much focus will be on it. I hope we approach it like we want to play it and compete though

Smalling has been really good as of late so maybe the front runner since neither have exactly impressed for England previously

Sturridge is out. The scene is set for the Harrykane to blow down those Lithuanian doors and deflower their beautiful strange faced women.

I for one will be watching the commentary on mute. The wankfest is going to be on a whole new level of cringe.

I like the boy, I think he has something, but I hate the way we build up any youngster with a smidge of talent and hold them up as a some sort of saviour, only to **** on them when they don't meet the expectations.

We do do that but is that happening with Kane atm? I think media are being more cautious in their annoiting of a new king but rightly reporting he's doing great and deserves his call up

On the other hand I know a few people who, admittedly, are Liverpool fans so we should probably ignore them. Anyway, they think Harry Kane is lucky and **** and can't wait to see him fail.

There are always opposite extremes when it comes to England and our players

Rooney's RUBBISH remember, Beckham was rubbish

Rooney is rubbish for England tbf, no way he should be starting with the strikers we have available this season

Rooney is rubbish for England tbf, no way he should be starting with the strikers we have available this season

:D

As rubbish as he might be, he's still the best, and most experienced English forward by quite some distance.

Experienced at what exactly, playing badly for his country? :D

Have the same lame arguments at the start of every world cup, you've got to play your experienced players, then the likes of Gerrard cost you and everyone still says the same **** the next time around.

Experienced at what exactly, playing badly for his country? :D

Have the same lame arguments at the start of every world cup, you've got to play your experienced players, then the likes of Gerrard cost you and everyone still says the same **** the next time around.

I'd rather Rooney, what with his 46 goals in 100 odd games lead the line in an England shirt than Harry 'I've been good for 4 months' Kane. He might have had his fair share of bad games, but name one player who's actually impressed in an England shirt consistently over the same period? The entire team is bad and has underperformed, the only reason you and everyone else focus on Rooney is because we put the focus and expectancy on Rooney to perform.

The guy scores goals. Better and more frequently than anyone else we have in that position (Sturridge aside, but he's injured).

Rooney is Ronaldo at club level from non Ronaldo fans perspective.

Scores goals but he's overall performance is ****, so when he doesn't score he offers near enough nothing, hinders the side and occasionally self implodes.

He will be remembered as England's all time top goalscorer when he retires, but certainly not as one of the best, for me at least.

Except Rooney doesn't score half as many as Ronaldo - and has no pace and can't dribble.

Rooney is the best we have in terms of a striking option. Would Kane and him work in a side together?

Rooney is the best we have in terms of a striking option. Would Kane and him work in a side together?

Hart

Clyne - Jones - Cahill/Stones - Shaw

Carrick

Henderson - Delph/Milner

Sterling

Rooney - Kane

I don't mind that side, at all.

Either that or:

Hart

Clyne - Smalling - Cahill - Gibbs

Carrick/Henderson - Delph/Milner

Sterling - Rooney - Welbeck

Kane

Hart

Carrick

Henderson - Delph/Milner

Sterling

Rooney - Kane

Stones and Shaw aren't in the squad.

Hart

Carrick

Henderson - Delph/Milner

Sterling

Rooney - Kane

I like that side although Smalling > Jones but then that's just a matter of opinion.

Stones and Shaw aren't in the squad.

Show me where I stated that the 11 I picked have to be the side that plays in the next game?

Maybe I should've stated for people like you that the squad I picked is the one that I'd choose, if I could.

I like that side although Smalling > Jones but then that's just a matter of opinion.

I don't even think that Smalling is international quality. He seems like an absolute calamity.

If Forster wasn't injured, there is a debate whether he becomes the number one keeper. I'm unsure on the two.

Likewise, JWP could be an option in the future instead of Carrick.

Show me where I stated that the 11 I picked have to be the side that plays in the next game?

Maybe I should've stated for people like you that the squad I picked is the one that I'd choose, if I could.

Alright Mr Happy.

If Forster wasn't injured, there is a debate whether he becomes the number one keeper. I'm unsure on the two.

Nah, there isn't. Easily Hart.

I don't even think that Smalling is international quality. He seems like an absolute calamity.

He's improved a lot this season from what i've seen and a couple of my United supporting friends have said he's been their best CB this season.

Everytime I watch Jones he's had a brainfart moment, he's just an accident waiting to happen.

Obviously you haven't seen United for the past few matches. Smalling has been the guy covering for all of Jones mistakes for 2 matches and since his City horror show, hes probably been our best defender, maybe slightly ahead of Rojo. But considering United's defence, thats not saying much.

we have to look past Carrick....

He's currently our best option there.

Alright Mr Happy.

Cute.

He's improved a lot this season from what i've seen and a couple of my United supporting friends have said he's been their best CB this season.

Everytime I watch Jones he's had a brainfart moment' date=' he's just an accident waiting to happen.[/quote']

I've put Jones prior mistakes to the fact that he's playing in a shocking defence. I'm not saying he's perfect or anything, but I've always thought that Jones could be a good player for England.

Obviously you haven't seen United for the past few matches. Smalling has been the guy covering for all of Jones mistakes for 2 matches and since his City horror show, hes probably been our best defender, maybe slightly ahead of Rojo. But considering United's defence, thats not saying much.

I've seen him a few times over the season and I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to be honest. Plus, I'm sure we all remember his previous performances.

I'd have Stones over Smalling.

I've put Jones prior mistakes to the fact that he's playing in a shocking defence.

3rd best defensive record in the EPL this season. Surprising I know!

Hart

Carrick

Henderson - Delph/Milner

Sterling

Rooney - Kane

I think if you're going to play a 4-3-1-2/diamond, or any system that bunches in the middle, you need great central midfield talent. I don't think any of them are international quality.

England's strength is pace, and wide players. So play to it. 4-2-3-1. Two central midfielders (there's no-one good enough, just pick the two that give balance/work well in games), Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck + 1 other in the front four, in whatever positions you want to put them in. I'd go for Milner as the +1, for balance. Or maybe Wilshere if he can play further forward.

3rd best defensive record in the EPL this season. Surprising I know!

Not surprising when you got Big Save Dave in goal.