England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

Have 2 players playing in Clyne's position like in Colbacks case?

Oh and "I rest my case"? You're a tool.

You are the tool. Get off his arse. You having a go because people question his decisions. Chambers could not get in at RB ahead of Clyne while Stones has played their briefly for Everton. One of Stones or Chambers are likely to start at RB. IMO it should be Clyne. Natural RB and judging by his performances like Roy based his decision of Chambers on, Clyne should be in. My opinion and probably many others agree with it as well. You don't have to agree. Prat.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't get the chance they should grow some and move abroad. We're literally the only country where our players won't go abroad to seek first team football. More then happy to pick up a good packet (Sinclair) then have everyone moan about how the top clubs are not giving them chances etc.

I agree but it's not as easy as that, it's easy to sit here and say "they should move abroad" but let's not forget that there is a human being behind the fact he's a footballer, moving towns is a big move for most people, moving to a new country (where I doubt the player would be able to speak the language in the first place) away from their friends and family for probably less money then they'd get by staying in England (and that's a whole other issue) isn't something that appeals to most players. let's not also forget that coming from the UK we do tend to have an island mentality as well.

Also every player that went to the World Cup for Russia played in Russia while we had 1 player not playing in England.

You are the tool. Get off his arse. You having a go because people question his decisions. Chambers could not get in at RB ahead of Clyne while Stones has played their briefly for Everton. One of Stones or Chambers are likely to start at RB. IMO it should be Clyne. Natural RB and judging by his performances like Roy based his decision of Chambers on, Clyne should be in. My opinion and probably many others agree with it as well. You don't have to agree. Prat.

I have no issue with people questioning his choices (I really don't) my issue is with people saying **** like "all this after he guided England to what position in the WC. I rest my case." it's been going since before the world cup even started ffs, it's boring as heel, he's who we've got, get over it.

As for Clyne, I said that he would be in my squad over Stones but that I understand why he didn't make it this time. If he carries on in this form and still doesn't get called up I'd be right buy your side saying he should be.

Look at like this, Chambers is ahead of him for now because he's played more games this season (admittedly at CB I grant you) so Roy has been able to see more of him and Stones is a player he knows from the World Cup squad so Roy knows him and what he adds to the squad, I honestly think it was a close call between the 3 of them and Clyne was the unlucky one this time around. Calling it "criminal" is just a massive overreaction.

I agree but it's not as easy as that, it's easy to sit here and say "they should move abroad" but let's not forget that there is a human being behind the fact he's a footballer, moving towns is a big move for most people, moving to a new country (where I doubt the player would be able to speak the language in the first place) away from their friends and family for probably less money then they'd get by staying in England (and that's a whole other issue) isn't something that appeals to most players. let's not also forget that coming from the UK we do tend to have an island mentality as well.

Also every player that went to the World Cup for Russia played in Russia while we had 1 player not playing in England.

Oh please. Moving places isn't that big a deal. Normal people do it all the time. I can assure you that I have no island mentality whatsoever.

Completely agree that more British players should move abroad. Would absolutely benefit them to play in different environments, with different styles and cultures.

Hodgson has stayed on as England manager by default for me. Just look at the English options in the top flight to replace him... Pardew :lol: Bruce :/ 'arry :thdn:

That's more worrying then the lack of youth players getting a chance.

He's been given unbelievable slack. Had a free go at Euro 2012 tbh and we were absolutely shocking in the world cup. Doesn't really fill me with confidence, yes it's cheesy, but I see no 'vision' with him either.

Oh please. Moving places isn't that big a deal. Normal people do it all the time. I can assure you that I have no island mentality whatsoever.

My point was having to move to a country where they will not know many (any?) people outside of the football club is one of the few reason's (along with others I mention) that added together would keep them from doing so. As for the island mentality my point was (and I admit its a generalisation) that most people in the UK do have a island mentality.

Completely agree that more British players should move abroad. Would absolutely benefit them to play in different environments, with different styles and cultures.

FWIW I would love to see more players move abroad, I just can understand why they choose not to.

My point was having to move to a country where they will not know many (any?) people is one of the few reason's (along with others I mention)

My point was having to move to a country where they will not know many (any?) people outside of the football club is one of the few reason's (along with others I mention) that added together would keep them from doing so. As for the island mentality my point was (and I admit its a generalisation) that most people in the UK do have a island mentality.

Yet people from very other country will move? Give it a rest. I think it's more to do with pay than reluctance to forego bangers and mash.

Yet people from very other country will move? Give it a rest. I think it's more to do with pay than reluctance to forego bangers and mash.

yet another problem caused by the premier league and the elite clubs.

paying youngsters ridiculous amounts of money before they have even played games, why would you leave for another country? you've already made it!

Frank Nouble was on 10k a week at West Ham before he had played a signle game, FRANK NOUBLE. imagine how much youth fringe players at the elite clubs are on!? there's no way italian, spanish etc clubs pay their kids that much

#HodgsonOut for picking Colback and Delph' date=' two AVAILABLE England players that are performing consistently well for their clubs

#HodsgonOut because premier league clubs would rather pay and play veteran average foreign players rather than develop their own talent[/quote']

"OMG I am so fed up with players being picked on reputation and name and the club they play for!!1!!"

"WHAT??? Colback?? Delph???? ... how can we pick them, they're nobodies"

We have a lot of players out so they're as useful as anyone atm, I guess

I just hope that the likes of Delph can really go out and play without fear, enjoy it but I am fooling myself, it'll be the usual, nervy, edgy, terrified performance from us :(

Anyway, the FA and those around the top level of football can just keep saying things like "it's all cyclical" ... basically, any excuse that means we don't have to do anything

I love the cyclical as well ... what fantastic period in our history is this cycle coming around to then?? Throw out stuff like this rather than actually address the issues we have

We have still made zero headway in changing the percentage of homegrown players in the Premier League. Too busy talking about how much money was spent in the transfer window

Let's just hope premier league clubs do us a favour, eh

More and better coaches ... anything happened at St Georges Park on that yet? We will fall further behind. Been saying the same things after every exit in the last decade. Granted we had a tough group but we actually managed to have all this pace and then not play with much pace. We don't have any kind of identity, style of play. We're just trundling along thinking everything will work itself out with English football

I'd rather have this game October or November or March

Hopefully they're equally as 'not got going yet' as us

We are more than capable of winning but I'd take a draw right now

Basically no one is coming back into those hospitality seats after half time, about 15 people there after the break

It's not bad but this is by far the weakest defence we have had in memory

Problem is looking like a decent team but not actually playing like one. It's like going through the motions, ticking the internationals box but you know no one goes back to club duty with the weight of a poor England performance on their minds

I am sick of hearing comments from players "how can you say we don't care" ... all fans want to see is good performances, results will follow. Talk on the bloody pitch

Yet again today we have 'we have to win fans back' 'it's a new age' 'we have to do better' blah blah blah .. heard it all before and granted it's Rooney or whoever being asked a question and how do we expect them to react but it's so tiresome

No doubt talk of only 40K there tonight when pretty much any other nation would kill to have as many as 40K at their friendlies, let alone what we usually get. Norway is hardly inspiring either, not even sure why we're playing them :/

Welcome to Roys team, Clyne who has looked assured there for a while can't get ahead of two players who natural position is not RB.

Midfield looks good on paper, but my word there is no balance to it. Would get exploited so much against a half competent side. Will be interesting to see if Norway can even exploit it.

No doubt talk of only 40K there tonight when pretty much any other nation would kill to have as many as 40K at their friendlies, let alone what we usually get. Norway is hardly inspiring either, not even sure why we're playing them :/

For one of the games of our Euro 2012 preparation we played Norway and part of that arrangement involved a match against England at Wembley.

I honestly don't remember that game :p

Googled, we won 1-0, apparently and Ashley Young scored in 9th minute

Oh the times when Ashley Young was probably the best option on the wings for England... Not sure what happened to him after that penalty miss in the Euros.

We are so lacking goals in midfield and Henderson looks one of the midfielders that actually has a goal in him or can be effective in the opposition box

I am crying out for Wilshere to go all Aaron Ramsey on us and explode into a midfield goal scoring machine!!

So is Henderson going to have to sit deep in midfield, completely wasting his strengths? Looks like it with that midfield...

Ah modern football. Hopefully Henderson and Wilshere can have a good midfield 2 understanding that Gerrard and Lampard never could.

Another decade of 'can Wilshere/Henderson' play together is precisely what we need :D

I think the main problem with Lampard/Gerrard (and this has been done to death), for me, was management

It was Sven's 'hey, let the players sort things out' attitude. They needed someone to say 'this is your job ... this is your job', you know, managing. Sven couldn't do that

We ended up with these two mega-players at club level both sort of playing within their natural game as they don't want to impose themselves on the other. It's like 'after you' 'no, after you'. All the 'one can go forward and the other sit' was rubbish. This is what managers are for. They both had respect for each other so neither really went full bore on their own game (perhaps Gerrard did, moreso)

If we'd had a modicum of flexibility in terms of formations at that time ... grrrrr, annoys me. Sven did have a decent record. A fine line between 'just another 1/4 final team' and making a few semis or perhaps further. There is no way on earth anyone can argue that that team did not have quality. I mean 1 to 11 they were playing at top clubs, ffs. Look at Cole, Terry, Rio, Neville as a back 4 ... who really has a better back 4 at the time at international level, not many, if you can name 1 you've done well

I agree with Neville in saying Euro 2004 is the one we had the best chance in, I have always said that

We are a long way from that team now, I tell you and it'll get worse before it gets better. We bury our heads in the sand, spend 800m in the transfer window and say everything is great with English football. Every international break there is talk of player's paths being blocked to the first team of the best teams .. well, duh, welcome to 10 years ago ... now, what are we doing about it??

Imagine the Ajax side down the years, if people started investing zillions into the top 3 or 4 Dutch sides. All those young players that are clearly quality ... would they get a chance then? They'd have to magically be 'good enough' to get in the side with no first team development "well, if they were good enough, they'd play" is the biggest pile of **** I ever heard in my life yet keeps getting churned out and nothing gets done

It's amazing we can turn out any kind of quality whatsoever

I would like to think that sooner or later change will be upon us in terms of the state of English football at international level, but hand on heart I can't see it ever changing. We have the money and facilities, even the public outcry to push it through. There is however no will to make a change at the very top levels, the FA is run by business men who are only interested in the money, ditto the premier league. If we could make the change however and really look at how we produce players in this country and the type of football education we give them, along with the support, encouragment and guidance they recieve then I see no reason why we cant go up a level, added to that the idea that the more players you can produce of a higher level then the less money you have to spend (so theoretically at least the more accesible prices can become), the greater the connection with the fans having more 'local lads' playing. Everyone wins in that regard. We just won't take the leap because the here and now and the profit margins are, and will always be, more important.

Surprised so many people think Rooney is 'the only candidate for captain', he cannot handle his temper, he goes on temper tantrums every minute of a game, he hasn't played well for England for a very long time (when it mattered) etc.

England though really do look too much into the captaincy, it really isn't as important as the media always portrays.

Archived