England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Smalling was at a midtable side he would be no where near this squad. Just a prime example of yet another England manager favoring players from the big sides.

Also points out how bad the future of English CBs are atm, as not many decent youth ones around at the top level that I can think of.

Only really Stones looking good enough at the moment.

Apparently Saido's been in the pipeline for months but was kept out so the U21s could have the strongest possible squad for the playoff game. I suspect Roy'll do that for summer games too so the youngsters will be available for the U21 tournament (provided the clubs let them go). Surprised Burundi never approached him.

As long as Townsend keeps performing for England then why shouldn't he be called up.

because if he's not playing regularly for spurs then he isn't going to be properly match fit. same goes for lambert and anyone else who isn't a regular starter for their club. I don't actually know if townsend plays that regularly for spurs but i seem to remember him not playing much to start with and i guess that's why people dont think he should be in the national squad.

i'm not sure if i agree with carrick/walcott being in there either if they are just using the england games as some form of match time to get fit for their clubs (assuming they only play vs scotland rather than slovenia). presumably both managers are happy with this but after the sturridge incident then i wouldnt be entirely comfortable.

Delph injured.

Ah right, thought it was harsh he not get in, Roy seems to like him too

Milner absolutely deserves to be in there.

Absolutely. Milner should be playing week in, week out for City and if not them then a top 4 or 5 team (no, not Southampton, MLG!)

It's not come from Rooney, it's the manager trying to alleviate pressure knowing how the media are with top players

Also loads of money doesn't change pressure either. Don't get why this is brought up every time.

He's also not paid £300k a week by England (or on £300k a week for that matter)

some hodgson quotes re: townsend/Lambert being called up despite not playing much:

"If I think I am still seeing enough of them at club level to believe that they are still going to be as good as they were when they came with us, I try to keep them on board, but you can't keep people on board forever. Andros and people like Rickie Lambert, they know that"

"They realise, "I can't keep expecting to get a call-up when I'm not playing enough football." But at the moment with Andros and with Rickie, I don't think that moment has come where I shall be saying, "You're not playing enough games from the start, I'm not using you" because I still think when they come with us, they have got something to offer and they can make us better."

So the players need to play. Unless Roy thinks it doesn't really matter as he will pick them anyway.

Part of me thinks Roy hasn't called up some of the youngsters as he wants them to gain more international experience with the U21s where, let's face it, they have tougher opposition than what England has in the qualification group. That's why he left Saido out of the last set of games and maybe he wants people like Dier to prove themselves a little more for the U21s and their league clubs before calling them up?

What time does our game against Scotland kick off? One place I've seen 7 o'clock and another place 8 o'clock? 8 sounds more like it to me, 7 sounds far too early. Soccerway isnt that great when it comes to kickoff times.

Archived