England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 ugly 1-0s at the end of last season would have won you the league, you must have been much happier with the entertaining way it went instead

iirc CP was not disappointed at losing the league because they didn't expect to even challenge the league :thup:

:rolleyes:

If I was in Clyne shoes, I'd want to play for England but not for Roy. Similar to how Foster went about things which seems to go unnoticed.

Yeah it worked out great for Foster didnt it? Full of England caps and memories.....

Spitting the dummy out is not the way to go about winning more caps, proving Hodgson wrong would be a better idea.

How can you prove someone wrong if they don't give you the opportunities?

Micah Richards says hi. Capello refusing to pick him pretty much ruined his career with England. Hodgson didn't even consider him. Just wanted him on a back-up list. Didn't even cap him ffs :D

e: not saying that Clyne should refuse to be called up btw. Think that'd be silly. But if I were Clyne I'd probably give up my hopes of an England cap anytime soon.

Tbf injuries have ruined Richards career so far, and he's never been the best right-back in England, always had someone ahead of him.

That's bollocks. Richards was the best RB back in 2011. Certainly ahead of Johnson and Walker.

Injuries haven't ruined Richards' England career. Capello is to blame for that.

That's bollocks. Richards was the best RB back in 2011. Certainly ahead of Johnson and Walker.

Injuries haven't ruined Richards' England career. Capello is to blame for that.

Injuries in general have stunted his career massively. It can't just be Capello that also stopped him getting a lot of game time for Man City between 2012 and when he was shipped out on loan. I think he was a great player, but his fall from what he was to now (prior to Italy, i've not seen him play) is massive. I hope Fiorentina means a return to the player he was touted to be

Richards was quite clearly the best English right back in the 2011-2012 season when we won the league under Mancini leading up to Euro 2012, not sure people are trying to suggest otherwise, pretty much the whole country was bemused why Capello didn't pick him

Richards was quite clearly the best English right back in the 2011-2012 season when we won the league under Mancini leading up to Euro 2012, not sure people are trying to suggest otherwise, pretty much the whole country was bemused why Capello didn't pick him

No mate he was absolute horse *****. I mean, did you even watch him?! :rolleyes:

Injuries in general have stunted his career massively. It can't just be Capello that also stopped him getting a lot of game time for Man City between 2012 and when he was shipped out on loan. I think he was a great player, but his fall from what he was to now (prior to Italy, i've not seen him play) is massive. I hope Fiorentina means a return to the player he was touted to be

Richards is currently injured. As are some other players. Fiorentina formed a new medical team a few weeks ago. They may be better and may be able to help Richards.

He's made 9 league appearances in 2 and a bit seasons ffs. How can anyone tell how good he is right now?

The point is when he was in form helping City to the league title, yet still didn't get a look in. Similar to Clyne now all be it at a lower level club.

Made that clear multiple times but again and again milner chose to nit-pick on his current form, despite me never going on about it.

Richards isn't anywhere near a call-up today and he shouldn't be. He won't ever play for England whilst Hodgson is in charge, not after the snubbing from Richards to being a back-up.

He probably won't ever play for England again, though. He's only 26 but he's injured a lot and with Stones, Chambers and Clyne all there he won't get into the team as first choice barring some miraculous form. Miraculous form for Fiorentina will do him no favours though.

Wasn't the thing with Richards to do with Capello not thinking he could follow defensive instructions or something? (I could be wrong - memory isn't what it was)

Not sure what the fuss is over who played RB last night tbh, seems some are just happy to have a new reason to have a go at Roy.

Need to agree on JD with this. Richards was awesome in 2011 at least but Capello ruined by playing Smalling at RB instead. Possibly the only reason hes only played 9 league games in 2 ish seasons is because Zabaleta is undroppable. Not even Sagna, an ex-Arsenal regular, would get in that City team right now.

But a vast number of people (no idea who you support, sorry) support mediocre mid-table teams and hold no pretensions of success. Would I rather my team, who are mediocre and mid-table in our league, play attacking football and run at the opposition and so maybe lose a few more because we are more open than stand through the constant dire defensive, 'possession based' tripe that we have suffered for the past few years? Yes of course.

The same for me applies for England. Would I like to see England go out and take a few risks in games against freaking San Marino and Estonia, yes, because boring performances like the last few aren't enjoyable and football is an entertainment business.

It all depends on context if we are going to use real life examples. For example, Palace will be happy that their brand of football kept them in the league.

Anyway, my point is that I'd rather see my team win the league with boring football than come second with ''good'' football.

Need to agree on JD with this. Richards was awesome in 2011 at least but Capello ruined by playing Smalling at RB instead. Possibly the only reason hes only played 9 league games in 2 ish seasons is because Zabaleta is undroppable. Not even Sagna, an ex-Arsenal regular, would get in that City team right now.

I'm not really sure what this point is trying to imply.

He's saying that even one of the best RBs in the league - Sagna - can't get a game ahead of Zabaleta; nobody's getting ahead of him, so you can't really put Richards down by saying "oh he can't get ahead of Zabaleta? How awful." - nobody in the PL would be selected ahead of Zabaleta (probably only a couple of players in the world would be selected ahead of Zabaleta, actually). Sagna's played once in seven league games and that was a start against Stoke. Goes to show how little of a look-in a very good RB is getting at City.

Just watched the England game during my 2am snack. Hodgeson needs to drop Rooney now. There is something so wrong about him. I think unless Rooney does really well with Man Utd, Hodgeson should instead concentrate on building his frontline around pace with players like Sterling, Walcott, Sturridge, and Welbeck. Rooney just slows everything down.

Just watched the England game during my 2am snack. Hodgeson needs to drop Rooney now. There is something so wrong about him. I think unless Rooney does really well with Man Utd, Hodgeson should instead concentrate on building his frontline around pace with players like Sterling, Walcott, Sturridge, and Welbeck. Rooney just slows everything down.

He had his chance to drop him, but instead chose him as captain.

We have that pace but we don't really utilise it. We have got to be the slowest 'fast' team on earth!

Nice win from the U21s last night to qualify for the Euros again :thup: Good record in that and at the tournament actually. It's only the last tournament that things were a bit of a mess but generally we're been in some semis and even final. I think the full side would kill for that record!

2-1 away win, Croatia a little disappointing but we did our job. Their goal only coming from a defensive mess up (training for full side :brock:)

• 4 weeks later...

So Smalling in England squad again. Just an absolute pisstake. Shawcross may as well go and play for Wales. Downing recalled, fair enough based on form, Townsend shouldn't be any where near it and Lambert is the token target man. Carroll is actually going to get into side regardless of form once he starts playing, as Lambert can't get a minute.

England Squad vs Slovenia and Scotland

Goalkeepers

Fraser Forster, Ben Foster, Joe Hart

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Calum Chambers, Nathaniel Clyne, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling

Midfielders

Ross Barkley, Michael Carrick, Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere, Theo Walcott

Forwards

Rickie Lambert, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Welbeck, Saido Berahino

5 Southampton academy products (Walcott, Chamberlain, Shaw, Chambers & Lallana), 2 current players (Forster & Clyne), plus 1 Saints legend (Lambert). :cool:

If Smalling was at a midtable side he would be no where near this squad. Just a prime example of yet another England manager favoring players from the big sides.

Also points out how bad the future of English CBs are atm, as not many decent youth ones around at the top level that I can think of.

Archived