Sports Interactive Community
Djstu23

England - Euro 2016 Thread

Still working on the notion that if you squint, really really tightly whilst watching Shelvey, he's the closest thing to watching Zidane.

How could we let them have a shot on target? Disgrace :mad:

Do they still hold the record for the fastest goal scored in international football, which was against England funnily enough?

Barkley. :D queueing up in the middle there. It was like queueing up at the checkout then the till shuts.

Do they still hold the record for the fastest goal scored in international football, which was against England funnily enough?
Yep, it is one of the twenty goals they've ever scored :D

Well, qualification is qualification, which is more than can be said for the Dutch (boy do they need van Gaal back). Wales and Northern Ireland could follow by Monday.

wtf is this :D Roy and Rooney in the studio...

I thought exactly the same. I'm now waiting for the San Marino manager to be interviewed.

Also, Rooneys wearing sandals and socks! :D

Standard dull routine win. San Marino shattered after 60 minutes and get picked off. Qualification means we can surely experiment against a tougher Swiss side?

Zero chance

Jonjo deserves a start but it should be a chance for our best team to gel before the Euros in our most competitive game left. Probably should mean Kane ahead of Rooney but obviously it wont happen.

I think we are one of the only International teams to make a 4-0 lead look hard work

The 5-0 home win earlier in the campaign was one of the worst 5-0 against a minnow I have ever seen

What I hate about this type of match is the players sort of play in a lower gear. It's almost like they don't want to be seen to be trying really, really hard. I liked that Walcott came on and scored 2 and should have had a hat trick. If you play those balls through they'll generally work

Be nice to get a 100% record, meaningless as it'll be in the grand scheme of things but fully expect us to go a goal down and clamber to a draw against the Swiss on Tuesday

Nice goal from Kane as well. I was cynically wondering if they took Rooney off to boost ticket sales for Tuesday in that he 'might break the record/I was there' ;)

The 5-0 was a bit of a struggle. To be fair I'm sick of playing San Marino. It's just all a bit pointless. I fully understand they have a right to be in the qualification as much as anyone else. Would just rather we didn't draw them. We learn nothing out of these games. I'm not even sure how we should approach these games. Just give a game to a bunch of squad players? We did that a bit yesterday.

Highlight was seeing Woy strutting around the pitch in sunglasses like your dad on holiday.

Yeah, quite like San Marino in comparison to Andorra. At least San Marino have a go... got a couple of corners last night and crossed the halfway line a few times and didn't just throw themselves on the floor every five minutes to run the clock down.

They might not be quite as bad as Andorra but they're still boring as hell.

At the risk of sounding like wandsfan I'd quite like to draw Gibraltar as our crap team.

Just Andorra are more dangerous to players in that they will try to hack away. San Marino are sufficiently poor but they don't go in to muller players. Yeah, Gib would be a nice bottom seed

Who else is in that rock bottom pot?

I enjoyed Shelvey last night. Wastes no time getting the ball from the back and playing through the attackers, needs to be a regular starter if he keeps this form up as with our pace it's needed instead of the usual slow midfielders where they have to look up first/take multiple touches/dribble with the ball.

Would like to see us play against Switzerland without Rooney so we can see how we perform against a reasonable nation without him.

I enjoyed Shelvey last night. Wastes no time getting the ball from the back and playing through the attackers, needs to be a regular starter if he keeps this form up as with our pace it's needed instead of the usual slow midfielders where they have to look up first/take multiple touches/dribble with the ball.

Would like to see us play against Switzerland without Rooney so we can see how we perform against a reasonable nation without him.

I really like him, amazing technique and eye for a pass. Funny you should mention pace, it's one thing that really works against him. That and he's so inconsistent.

We don't know how to use slow playmakers like him anyway, so doubt he'll feature in the bigger games.

Can we start calling Shelvey Zidane yet?

Only if you want to look as tragic as the Welsh fans who were naming their midfielders after Iniesta & Xavi.

Only if you want to look as tragic as the Welsh fans who were naming their midfielders after Iniesta & Xavi.

Which one's Robbie Savage again?

Yeah, I really like Shelvey as well. Only San Marino so can't really judge a performance on that but he looked good.

He's no doubt going to have the odd shocker of a game, but he is the sort of player when playing those passes we should persist with for a certain amount of time and see if he steps up another level.

Only 22 so as long as he keeps his head on straight there's no reason he can't keep getting in the squad

I thought they said 22 on TV yesterday otherwise I would have guessed 31 :D Seems like he's been around ages

They might not be quite as bad as Andorra but they're still boring as hell.

At the risk of sounding like wandsfan I'd quite like to draw Gibraltar as our crap team.

Well at least the game won't be a total snoozefest like yesterday's was. Plus a nice trip to Faro for the away games.

I thought they said 22 on TV yesterday otherwise I would have guessed 31 :D Seems like he's been around ages

Yeah, I remember Liverpool signing him and that seemed about 10 years ago :D Moving to Swansea been brilliant for him and he should continue to develop.