Sports Interactive Community
Djstu23

England - Euro 2016 Thread

Will probably depend how clinical we are in the last 20 minutes when they fall apart. Anything from 3-9 I'd say.

Will be optimistic and say 7-0.

How many do you think England will score today?

Anything less than 4 is a bit shoddy no?

Was looking at the top goalscorers list, and still surprised Shearer only scored 30 and only played 64 times. If it wasn't for those injuries, he'd have scored so many more.

Then you have Owen on 40! Which is mad, but again, if he didn't burn out at 26 can you imagine what he'd have ended up on?

Greave's record is still amazing. Something like 47 in 54 games. What was the story there, was he injured a lot? Retire early?

I think Greaves was always seen as a "small game player" who never turned up when it mattered for England but scored a lot of goals against weaker sides in friendlies, home nations tournaments etc. (you could say the same about Rooney). He got injured in the 1966 WC quater final and was replaced by Geoff Hurst. Hurst scored a hat-trick in the final and Greaves never played again in a competitive match.

Looking down the list, one who stands out for me is David Platt, I didn't realise he had a goals-to-game ratio similar to Rooney's, Owen's and Shearer's from midfield!

Still surprised Shearer only scored 30 and only played 64 times. If it wasn't for those injuries, he'd have scored so many more.

Yeah, that and the fact that he walked away from international football six years before the end of his career and missed three qualifying campaigns and tournaments he could have played in.

Yeah, that and the fact that he walked away from international football six years before the end of his career and missed three qualifying campaigns and tournaments he could have played in.

Forgot about that. For arguments sake, and I'm sure he'll say the same, he wouldn't have had 6 more years of football if he didn't make that decision.

Seems the FA are actively rewarding racism now.

Maybe they think he redeemed himself by setting up his Japanese teammate for a goal the other week

What is the point playing Joe Hart in a game like this? We still dont have a single backup option with more than about 2 caps, may as well let somebody else get a runout.

What is the point playing Joe Hart in a game like this? We still dont have a single backup option with more than about 2 caps, may as well let somebody else get a runout.

What is the point of Jagielka also. Just play Carrick there

At least he's actually playing a RB in Clyne instead of shoehorning Jones or Stones in there.

What is the point making Butland stand in goal doing nothing for 90 minutes? I'm sure Joe Hart would like as many England caps as he can get and it's not like he doesn't deserve to play if he wants to.

What is the point making Butland stand in goal doing nothing for 90 minutes?

So that if Hart is injured/suspended for one of the games in the Euros, there's someone else who's actually got a handful of caps? :confused:

C'mon England. After seeing LvG's tactics for so many games I'm starting to appreciate Hodgson a bit more.

So that if Hart is injured/suspended for one of the games in the Euros, there's someone else who's actually got a handful of caps? :confused:

What the merry **** is Butland supposed to gain from standing in goal against San Marino though? :D

Or is it just that if that scenario happens and Butland does play he'll magically feel more confident because he has 4 caps instead of 3 or something?

"To be fair the ref was strong and gave it"... er you have no idea what he's given it for. You thought it was handball by England..

No idea if it was harsh or not as we have no idea what it was given for :D

Some England player fell over. Maybe for that. Fall over. get a pen.

Some England player fell over. Maybe for that. Fall over. get a pen.

Did the no. 3 handball it after Stones had?

San Marino looking good for a point until that decision, now the whole game has changed.
Against the run of play imo.

Dubious penalty and an o.g.

Yep, England running riot here.

Fair play to the lad though, cracking header to score.