England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

With Foster and Forster still injured and Green and Heaton both in the Championship now, who's gonna be backup to Hart in the next England squad? As far as I'm aware the only three English keepers currently playing as first choice in the Premier League are Jack Butland (Stoke), Alex McCarthy (Crystal Palace) and John Ruddy (Norwich). So it's pretty much down to being 2 out of those three to get the nod. McCarthy may not even be guaranteed the start once Speroni returns for Palace though which is a concern unless he can show he' deserving of the number 1 spot in place of the ageing Argentine.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Squad for San Marino away and Switzerland at home

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones, Phil Jagielka (Both Everton).

Midfielders: Michael Carrick (Manchester United), James Milner (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Everton), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling, Fabian Delph (Both Manchester City), Ryan Mason (Tottenham).

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Would have thought Ruddy would be ahead of Heaton, not like 3rd choice keeper matters anyway.

Seriously need those midfielders to step up these games with goals, as if the striker(s) fail to deliver we need them to score like Lamps/Gerrard have done in the past.

This is Woy we're talking about. You just know the team will look like:

Hart; Stones, Smalling, Cahill, Shaw; Carrick, Milner, Sterling; Walcott, Rooney, Ox.

He'll still find a reason not to play Clyne and shoe horn Sterling in #10 while playing the Arsenal players on the wings.

We have the first XI side together so little I expect we'll start with a more or less first choice team but the likes of San Marino away is the perfect opportunity to put maybe 2 fringe/younger players in with the first XI

Like maybe Shelvey, he's in top form. We have players playing against minnows that don't really put their stamp on the game so I'd like to see if Shelvey would take more responsibility in a game like this as that would convince me he can take responsiblity against other countries.

Definitely Ox and Barkley though

Nah, looks like we are through on Saturday actually, whatever happens elsewhere.

We will be on 21 points assuming we beat San Marino; Slovenia in third are only on 9 so the most they can finish on is 21 even if they win all four of their remaining games. But then they use head-to-head record rather than goal difference where teams are level on points and we've already beaten Slovenia both home and away.

How many do you think England will score today?

Anything less than 4 is a bit shoddy no?

Was looking at the top goalscorers list, and still surprised Shearer only scored 30 and only played 64 times. If it wasn't for those injuries, he'd have scored so many more.

Then you have Owen on 40! Which is mad, but again, if he didn't burn out at 26 can you imagine what he'd have ended up on?

Greave's record is still amazing. Something like 47 in 54 games. What was the story there, was he injured a lot? Retire early?

How many do you think England will score today?

Anything less than 4 is a bit shoddy no?

Was looking at the top goalscorers list, and still surprised Shearer only scored 30 and only played 64 times. If it wasn't for those injuries, he'd have scored so many more.

Then you have Owen on 40! Which is mad, but again, if he didn't burn out at 26 can you imagine what he'd have ended up on?

Greave's record is still amazing. Something like 47 in 54 games. What was the story there, was he injured a lot? Retire early?

I think Greaves was always seen as a "small game player" who never turned up when it mattered for England but scored a lot of goals against weaker sides in friendlies, home nations tournaments etc. (you could say the same about Rooney). He got injured in the 1966 WC quater final and was replaced by Geoff Hurst. Hurst scored a hat-trick in the final and Greaves never played again in a competitive match.

Looking down the list, one who stands out for me is David Platt, I didn't realise he had a goals-to-game ratio similar to Rooney's, Owen's and Shearer's from midfield!

Still surprised Shearer only scored 30 and only played 64 times. If it wasn't for those injuries, he'd have scored so many more.

Yeah, that and the fact that he walked away from international football six years before the end of his career and missed three qualifying campaigns and tournaments he could have played in.

Yeah, that and the fact that he walked away from international football six years before the end of his career and missed three qualifying campaigns and tournaments he could have played in.

Forgot about that. For arguments sake, and I'm sure he'll say the same, he wouldn't have had 6 more years of football if he didn't make that decision.

What is the point playing Joe Hart in a game like this? We still dont have a single backup option with more than about 2 caps, may as well let somebody else get a runout.

What is the point making Butland stand in goal doing nothing for 90 minutes? I'm sure Joe Hart would like as many England caps as he can get and it's not like he doesn't deserve to play if he wants to.

Archived