England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never say Carrick has never had a good game in his bloody career ffs :D He's been great for United in long spells even

Away to Croatia, away to Poland, home to Romania, etc ... these are the sort of games I want Carrick stepping up in and influencing. He's played those sort of games down the years and not really performed

Townsend scored? Whats that then, 2 goals in 422 shots now?

**** me, if someone as one dimensionally **** as Townsend is being lauded, we have no hope.

He's absolutely perfect for that situation though, at 1-0 you want players coming on and running at the opposition. He's a fantastic option from the bench and he deserves praise as one.

I would never say Carrick has never had a good game in his bloody career ffs :D He's been great for United in long spells even

Away to Croatia, away to Poland, home to Romania, etc ... these are the sort of games I want Carrick stepping up in and influencing. He's played those sort of games down the years and not really performed

He was always in and out of the team though. The mistake was going to the Gerrard-Lampard combo when it never really worked in a 4-4-2 and especially going for Parker or Barry- who were no where near as good. Carrick is made for international football.

When we were 2-1 down against Italy in the WC what did Sterling do then? Nothing.

I like Sterling but Townsend is unique and can be a very good weapon.

Bit of a poor example. In that first half and most of the game, Sterling was one of the very few positives to take from the game.

If it came down to starting either Sterling or Townsend, I know who I'd pick.

When we were 2-1 down against Italy in the WC what did Sterling do then? Nothing.

I like Sterling but Townsend is unique and can be a very good weapon.

Please think before you post something like that again… I hope you didn't think for your own sake Baptista!! Even as a Spurs fan I'll say the only thing Townsend probably has over Sterling is a great shot when he connects well, as we've established it isn't a great ratio though. I like the guy, but Sterling is miles ahead.

What the hell was that by Phil Jagielka. How many times did he nearly gift an Italian striker a goal?

To be fair to Clyne, tonight is about the best time to have a bad game. Not a competetive international so no one will be too concerned, he's just going to have to have a really good end to the season to get his place back if Hodgson is thinking Kyle Walker is the better right-back at the moment.

What the hell was that by Phil Jagielka. How many times did he nearly gift an Italian striker a goal?

To be fair to Clyne, tonight is about the best time to have a bad game. Not a competetive international so no one will be too concerned, he's just going to have to have a really good end to the season to get his place back if Hodgson is thinking Kyle Walker is the better right-back at the moment.

Jagielka was head and shoulders above the rest of our defence tonight.

Thought that game only really benefitted two people in the England team, who were Kane and Townsend. Nobody else either played well enough to have benefit or got good experience at a higher level so as to put them on a better footing for the next game. Maybe Clyne, but since I thought he had a pretty bad match wouldn't say he really came out of the game any better than he went in, probably more nervous for next time if anything.

Only watched the last 30 but plain as day Delph is not cut out for top level football. He's a decent option against the poor international teams at best. Same with Ryan Mason, not really sure what his qualities are other than PUTTING A SHIFT IN. I'm not a fan of Townsend either, but you can't argue with his form for England and I can certainly see the benefits for his inclusion in the squad, agree with others that he should never be starting though.

Decent draw away at Italy though, and from what I saw we were controlling the game nicely - a whole world away from them completely dominating us last summer.

Townsend scored? Whats that then, 2 goals in 422 shots now?

**** me, if someone as one dimensionally **** as Townsend is being lauded, we have no hope.

I think hes a useful weapon to have on the bench and he did very well ( in his all round play, not just his goal ) tonight. Hes not someone we want to rely on as a Starter, but hes not as useless as people like to make out

Thought that game only really benefitted two people in the England team, who were Kane and Townsend. Nobody else either played well enough to have benefit or got good experience at a higher level so as to put them on a better footing for the next game. Maybe Clyne, but since I thought he had a pretty bad match wouldn't say he really came out of the game any better than he went in, probably more nervous for next time if anything.

I think thats a strange thing to say, players dont only benefit from playing in games when they play well in those games, doesnt the saying go that you learn more from your mistakes?

Ross Barkley was outstanding.

I think thats a strange thing to say, players dont only benefit from playing in games when they play well in those games, doesnt the saying go that you learn more from your mistakes?
I'm not a big believer in that assertion. If it was defenders who are going to be learning how to play together then I could get on board with that, but I don't think there was any of the players learned about playing with each other, other than the guys I mentioned (and Barkley).

Townsend is merely Darius Vassell's regen. Surprised he's still in the picture, was expecting him to be be plying his trade in the championship by now. I'll give him a couple of more years

Struggling to believe Townsend scored that. I know he's capable of smacking it but he never does anything for Spurs, somehow manages to for England though and I have no idea why it's any different. Barkley a little frustrating, manages to take a man completely out of it but struggles to capitalise (although Chiellini and whoever else was covering did a good job when the commentators were making out that a ball to Rooney was the easiest thing in the world).

Thought Delph was worse than his previous matches too, which is a shame.

If he's Darius Vassell's regen he'll move to Turkey in a few years and get mobbed by supporters at the airport :brock:

Haha forgot about that :D

Seriously, I'm better than Townsend. He's a bit quicker than me, mind.

Carrick was excellent when he came on and set a great tempo for us. Having someone in midfield who could play forward passes and through balls was exactly what we needed. Was sick and tired of all the crab like passing first half.

Pretty positive season for us so far, really liking the depth of talent coming through as well.

The annoying thing about Carrick is that not only have England realised far too late on how good he is, especially in setting the tempo for the team (as opposed to being an individual star), but because we under-appreciate players like that by and large, we actually dont have any kind of replacement coming though. Closest imo (and he is still incredibly young and developing) is Will Hughes.

Its partly my anti Derby bias, but i dont rate Hughes that highly, maybe ive just had bad luck picking games, but ive seen him play plenty of times and tried to focus on his play due to the rep and hype he has, but he hasnt impressed in any of the games ive watched, he has a nice shot on him at times, but the thing he seems best at is falling over at the slightest contact, as you say though, he is still young

Where's all the Townsend haters at? Could Sterling do that? Could he ****.

Ross Barkley btw what a player he will be.

Needs to learn to spot a pass when it's on a plate for him e.g. that counter attack with Rooney in miles of space but he just had his head down and ran. It's the ability to spot a pass that'll really make him a counter attacking threat.

Needs to learn to spot a pass when it's on a plate for him e.g. that counter attack with Rooney in miles of space but he just had his head down and ran. It's the ability to spot a pass that'll really make him a counter attacking threat.

Yeah he could have made it early...could see he was trying to get into a position which made the pass easier though.

Barkley is on one level brilliant and another absolutely rubbish. He is one of the most naturally gifted footballers I have ever seen what he can do is quite simply ridiculous however his decision making and vision are really poor. He frequently moves with the ball with his head down missing the easy opportunities and his decision making can be laboured.

He made a positive impact last night because he can actually play the 10 position unlike Rooney and Walcott.

Well, he's still very young- it's quite rare to get a no10 at that age who excels with his decision making. Give him time, could be amazing.

Whilst true his is behind where it should be and more importantly for a 10 he doesn't create a lot.

Had a quick look at his creation stats and they are even worse than I thought. 2 assists in 76 games and this season in the premier league is the first competition he has averaged creating a chance a game.

Whilst true his is behind where it should be and more importantly for a 10 he doesn't create a lot.

Had a quick look at his creation stats and they are even worse than I thought. 2 assists in 76 games and this season in the premier league is the first competition he has averaged creating a chance a game.

He's been player a lot deeper this season to be fair to him.

Don't think Barkley is a number 10, certainly not a creative attacking midfielder. He has little vision and moves with his head down far too often. To be a good no.10, even half decent, you need to have the ability to see everything, and you can't do that looking at your feet and only looking up occasionally. I believe him when he said he's a striker, he has all the attributes to be an explosive striker and has quite a wicked shot on him.

How many goals has he assisted throughout his career so far, 1, 2? Not good enough and I don't think he will be.

Its partly my anti Derby bias, but i dont rate Hughes that highly, maybe ive just had bad luck picking games, but ive seen him play plenty of times and tried to focus on his play due to the rep and hype he has, but he hasnt impressed in any of the games ive watched, he has a nice shot on him at times, but the thing he seems best at is falling over at the slightest contact, as you say though, he is still young

I'm the opposite really. Seen him a few times in person against Leeds, and then a few on the TV and he's constantly stood out. His movement, intelligence and ability to pick a pass is superb for somebody his age. I'd like him to spend a couple more years at Derby and then eventually move to a better side. It'd be nice if Derby went up and he was able to highlight his ability there, mind.

Well how many times has he actually played as a no10? I'm not even sure that is his best position.

Well how many times has he actually played as a no10? I'm not even sure that is his best position.

I am not overly convinced it is. This season 10 times apparently in which he played as the 10 he managed the 2 assists. Last season I believe he played there quite a lot.

Given what he is best at is dribbling with the ball I think his best position or at least starting position is deeper. However he has previously shown good movement when at 10 it's just he doesn't create when it actually gets to him

Also depends what you want from your number 10, that player that floats around supplying the killer balls? Someone to break beyond the lead striker and score goals? Different variations and I don't think he or club/national side know what they want him to do. Just hope he doesn't get used as a gap filler for England over the next 2-4 years similar to Jones.

For me 4-3-3 is the way forward with England, and that doesn't require a out right number 10. So Barkley can play deeper and provide the surging runs, may not create direct assists, but by those runs he would draw defenders and holding midfielders out of position allowing more space for the main striker/attackers to operate. Just with the 4-3-3 the midfield should pick it self. Carrick deeper of the CMS with Henderson and one other alongside (I'd have Barkley ahead of Wilshere when both fit), it's the attacking players which are the problem (good problem). When Rooney is in the sort of form he is now for England and club, he should start up front and no where else, so if that means Kane/Sturridge being on bench so be it. If Rooney is not in form, he has to be dropped for a Kane/Sturridge if they're in form. Problem is Roy simply won't do that and overall balance is usually sacrificed. If Rooney is up top I'd have Welbeck in the left channel as he does this well enough for England, with Sterling on right.

Don't think Barkley is a number 10, certainly not a creative attacking midfielder. He has little vision and moves with his head down far too often. To be a good no.10, even half decent, you need to have the ability to see everything, and you can't do that looking at your feet and only looking up occasionally. I believe him when he said he's a striker, he has all the attributes to be an explosive striker and has quite a wicked shot on him.

How many goals has he assisted throughout his career so far, 1, 2? Not good enough and I don't think he will be.

He's a second striker currently. I think the outrage is everyone thinking he was claiming to be a number 9. His vision is okay, but it will get better, especially as his confidence improves. I think pointing to his assist totals is not a great indicator purely because it depends on someone else to finish the job. He does create chances.

If you actually watch him, his defensive work is hilarious. Mostly consists of standing in front of someone acting like he will try a tackle, and then letting them run around him.

I agree with most of what you say Pearcey and I think I was one of many before the world cup hoping for 4-3-3 instead of Rooney at 10. I think it gets the best out of our midfielders and attackers. I would go Wilshere ahead of Barkley if fit (massive if) as that is the system which gets the very best out of him and he has more to offer in terms of incision and link up play than Barkley.

I agree with most of what you say Pearcey and I think I was one of many before the world cup hoping for 4-3-3 instead of Rooney at 10. I think it gets the best out of our midfielders and attackers. I would go Wilshere ahead of Barkley if fit (massive if) as that is the system which gets the very best out of him and he has more to offer in terms of incision and link up play than Barkley.
The diamond is still an option, but it needs to be seen as a tactical alternative, not just a formation you can default to when you want to shoehorn your players in.

The diamond is still an option, but it needs to be seen as a tactical alternative, not just a formation you can default to when you want to shoehorn your players in.

Yeah I like that also as long as Rooney is upfront. The line up yesterday was hilarious and doomed to fail. Walcott drifting around and eventually playing 10 was absurd. I think it is something to be used in certain games with Sterling at the tip of it and Rooney plus one of the Welbeck/Sturridge.

Yeah I like that also as long as Rooney is upfront. The line up yesterday was hilarious and doomed to fail. Walcott drifting around and eventually playing 10 was absurd. I think it is something to be used in certain games with Sterling at the tip of it and Rooney plus one of the Welbeck/Sturridge.

The line up yesterday was utterly pointless. Waste of a game really

He's a second striker currently. I think the outrage is everyone thinking he was claiming to be a number 9. His vision is okay, but it will get better, especially as his confidence improves. I think pointing to his assist totals is not a great indicator purely because it depends on someone else to finish the job. He does create chances.

If you actually watch him, his defensive work is hilarious. Mostly consists of standing in front of someone acting like he will try a tackle, and then letting them run around him.

I dunno about that, I don't think he creates many chances at all, especially for an attacking player. Obviously stats don't tell the entire story, but Barkley creates on average 0.8 Key passes per game, that over 34 matches this season (whoscored).

Compare that to, I don't know, Sterling, who has 2.2 key passes on average over his 28 games.

Sterling is a much better fit for a creative no.10 in the long term for England. Both young though, so lots of time for improvement.

He doesn't create chances though. Or not many at least. He is a frustrating player as the talent is so clear

The line up yesterday was utterly pointless. Waste of a game really

Yep might as well have played the under 21s

Well, he's still very young- it's quite rare to get a no10 at that age who excels with his decision making. Give him time, could be amazing.

Time and coaching. Of course he need coaching staff telling him what he's doing right and wrong. I think Hodgson even mentioned during World Cup friendlies about needing to improve his ball retention and not give it away so much, which is up there with not picking a pass/giving it away but I like him a lot

Archived