England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as people don't seem to like Townsend he will try to shift it and get a shot in. That's useful and he'll carry the ball upfield

I cry out for a player that wants to take the ball on

Townsend obviously has Roy's trust and faith ... shows what that can do for a player really

Oddly, the so-called weaker team has done a lot better and we're looked a bit better against the better Italian team with the subs
More the use of width. No more narrow nonsense against a team with three central defenders and three central midfielders

As much as people don't seem to like Townsend he will try to shift it and get a shot in. That's useful and he'll carry the ball upfield

I cry out for a player that wants to take the ball on

Townsend obviously has Roy's trust and faith ... shows what that can do for a player really

Don't see what's not to like about Townsend, good attacking minded player that's enjoyable to watch. Not saying he's a world bearer but he does a job.

Done far more for England than say, Walcott. Who was much more highly rated and hyped

Don't see what's not to like about Townsend' date=' good attacking minded player that's enjoyable to watch. Not saying he's a world bearer but he does a job.

Done far more for England than say, Walcott. Who was much more highly rated and hyped[/quote']

I like him

I watch him for England and he does stuff. He may be the new Darius Vassell in that he's better for England than his club

Well what have we learnt from tonight... well nothing we already didn't know. Jones is not a midfielder, and Rooney has to play upfront, nowhere else Roy!! Something you would have thought he had learnt from the World Cup...

Yeah Rooney is awful on the wings, very average in midfield- upfront he is still very good.

Townsend scored? Whats that then, 2 goals in 422 shots now?

**** me, if someone as one dimensionally **** as Townsend is being lauded, we have no hope.

For England his strike rate is pretty good!

I don't rate him though, he does some decent things every now and then- he seems like such a likeable person as well, but should be nothing more than an impact sub.

We get these things in our heads in England from early on and we will NOT change

The prevailing wisdom is that Rooney will end up in midfield. For me, that is yeah, when he's 34 or 35 but I'd always have him up top. As that has been repeated over and over it's become accepted now as this is what will happen and it's correct and anything else is wrong.

No, no, it's not but you can guarantee we'll hear it again and again though. Nothing will change the minds of people and everyone has decided Rooney will play in midfield based on hearing this over and over

It's like Jack Rodwell. "He'll be like Rio Ferdinand centre back" said, someone ... once, at some point. After that we will accept nothing else .. Rodwell WILL be a centre back. He wasn't and is nothing like one. Whatever he did from then on was measured against his potential centre back abilities. He could rampage forward and score a hat trick and the reaction would be 'well ... this is not what we want from a centre back ... he'll have to learn' instead of changing the thinking that maybe just maybe players change as they age and develop and he could be a box to box midfielder instead ... nope, he's the next Rio Ferdinand and we won't have anything else!!

This is like with Rooney and midfield ... just no, stop it

Townsend has 80 shots before 1 goes on target and goes in. Thankfully he uses 79 of them at Spurs then the one other flys in for England. He can stick to a cameo role at end when we're desperate like today, just never starting like Walcott shouldn't be.

if we would have started with that 2nd half team and that shape, we'd have won today

That's the stupid thing. We hear these reports of wanting to play a diamond and then we just do it regardless of the Italian line up. We can look at their line up and decide today is not the day for this but we just press ahead and make things difficult

Yeah, he did good

It's a bit late to be bursting into the first XI I think

He's had opportunities down the years to be good for England even in the last qual campaign

Should have been made a permanent fixture a long time ago…but yeah bit late. Well done Razzler, you showed some appreciation for Carrick!!

Carrick was excellent when he came on and set a great tempo for us. Having someone in midfield who could play forward passes and through balls was exactly what we needed. Was sick and tired of all the crab like passing first half.

Pretty positive season for us so far, really liking the depth of talent coming through as well.

Archived