Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ragin Cajun

Growing attendance?

Is there a way to grow attendance? It's not my stadium. I'm running about 37% capacity for the season.

We are 4th in SBL1, right in the race for the playoffs. 21-9-10 (thanks to a tactic I downloaded yesterday...cause I was struggling mightily early on) so wins aren't the problem.

I really need attendance to pop to help my finances. I'm well below my budget but still bleeding money.

Winning is the only way I know of increasing attendance.

It might depend upon where your team is located as well. I picked Stockport because it's located within Greater Manchester. So there is no shortage of football fans in the area. You might have trouble getting decent attendance if you are playing in a small town or city.

As far as money goes. It does tend to get better once you hit Skybet Championship but doesn't get drastically better until you hit the Premier League when the situation flips and you get boatloads of money thrown at you. Which you might need to invest just to avoid regulation.

OK, well I have to admit my knowledge of English geography is not real good. I know London..lol. I'm with Leeds and I see (Google) they are in West Yorkshire which is to the northern end of England. I'm strictly assuming that this is a more rural area of the country but again, strictly an assumption. OK, more Google time after posting that I see it's in between Sheffield (Def Leppard!), York (William Wallace) and Manchester (Man U?) I see all four cities are 300k-1mill population (on the map I was viewing). So not the country by any stretch but certainly not London or Birmingham. Now what I don't know is what competing teams are in that area (if that matters in the game).

So I assume that winning means winning multiple seasons before they get excited enough to actually buy tickets?

On that note, if you sell a set number of season tickets does that mean you won't get any walk up sales that season? As noted in my OP, We've gone on a tear moving up from 14th (when I was one game from getting sacked) to fourth with four matches to play. Capacity is 37,890 and we are pulling between 12k-18k per match. Which I guess is a slight improvement. 18k is roughly 50% while we're averaging 37% for the season. So maybe it has gone up slightly...just not a lot. I want packed houses..lol.

That doesn't seem bad TBH. I could be wrong but I wouldn't expect to fill that stadium until you hit the Premier League.

I made due with 10500 until I hit the Premier League. I'm only up to 20000 right now.

Generally I found the increases in attendance took place if I went on a winning streak and when I got promoted to a higher league.

It takes a few consistent seasons to improve the attendances.

I had a team getting just over 1k in the Scottish Prem, a few seasons later they fill their ground at 9k. The average gradually increased as they continued to impress and maintain a much 'higher' level of attainment.

Leeds are the most massive Club after Sheff Wednesday.So you will be pulling in 120,000+ in a few years if you get too the CL where they think they belong.

They do belong there...at least that's where they were when I first heard of the decades ago.

They do belong there...at least that's where they were when I first heard of the decades ago.

No Club has a divine right to be in any competition,this season Hull City are a European Club,Leeds are a Championship Club every Club belongs where they are.Wolves belonged in L1 last season because they got relegated the year before as they were not good enough for the Championship.It doesn't matter how BIG they perceive themselves to be they are their for a reason.

Oh I know Chinook. As a fan "I" think they belong there. I interpreted your post that Leeds was a rival you were rather down on and glad to see at a lower level. LOL That's all I meant in my reply.

Oh I know Chinook. As a fan "I" think they belong there. I interpreted your post that Leeds was a rival you were rather down on and glad to see at a lower level. LOL That's all I meant in my reply.

If you have any experience of Football Fans forums or ''606'' you will be well aware of the ''Massive Leeds and Sheff Wednesday''debates ,they can be the most cringing threads and are very quickly jumped upon by fan's of other Club's.

I cannot stand them-Thread's-,yet they can be entertaining.

The I'm bigger than you debate even cropped up in a Yeovil Town/Shrewsbury Town debate:lol:

One the main reason's why I love English Club Football is that no matter how big or small you are there isn't a limit on what you can achieve.You can overspend yourself too heights of the CL/Europa league,**** it up and you'll end up on the receiving end and end up in L1 or L2. eventually it will balance out or you will recover and take the place of a Club that has done the same as you 20 years previously.

I would hate an MLS style league where only Cities above a certain population could just buy a place in the top Division without any fear that if they cannot match the level of Football required they will still be their next Season.It's why I no longer watch the Celtic league in Rugby.

I haven't read any of those threads and from your descriptions I'd likely loathe them. I must admit that my being a fan of Leeds is not deep in reasoning. I had a friend that I played soccer (futbol) with here in the states. We were good friends for a short time (as is normal in military life) and played a tabletop futbol game called Subbuteo (had to Google it as I'd forgotten the name). Anyway, he owned the game and was a big Sheffield fan. He had also been stationed in Europe while my father never was stationed overseas except during combat. So lack of exposure on my part. Anyway, in discussing teams in general with him the rivalry between Sheffield and Leeds was brought up early on and so I naturally gravitated towards Leeds with him liking Sheffield. With my lack of exposure to English futbol (remember, no real TV coverage in the states back then...and no Internet) that's what it was. In the decades since, I've still continued to "like" Leeds for no other reason than those friendship rivalries I had back in the 70's. While I can watch English and European futbol without the bindings a "real" fan has (passion for your team, hatred for another, etc) I've never jumped on a bandwagon as a fan. I can watch Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea and appreciate what they are doing and enjoy a particular match or even a season accomplishment I've never jumped on those teams with passionate rooting interest. Instead preferring to let that little Leeds/Sheffield rivalry stay in my heart for a friend I haven't seen in almost 40 years.

My knowledge of English geography is as limited as yours, but I can tell you that in game you won't have a problem growing attendance as you move up the ranks. I'm playing as Sheffield United. We started in League 1 with a 32K stadium. Attendance went to 20-25K per match when I made the Championship. After making the Premier League, the team started selling out regularly. Without prompting from me, the board expanded to 44K. Saw close to full capacity from the get go with that. A few years later, again without prompting, the board decided to build a new stadium. I'm still waiting for that to be completed.

Perhaps also of note money-wise, sponsorship money is easy to come by. Even when I wasn't coming within spitting distance of Manchester City for the league trophy, the team made more in sponsorships than anyone else in the league and that money just keeps growing every year.

There is a lot of money to be had in that geographic area in the game. You just have to get through the growing pains to get it.

I saw this past offseason that they expanded the stadium to comply with Championship rules. Added about 4000 seats. Of course we were below 40% occupancy in SBL1 so lot's of room for fans as it is. LOL

One the main reason's why I love English Club Football is that no matter how big or small you are there isn't a limit on what you can achieve.You can overspend yourself too heights of the CL/Europa league,**** it up and you'll end up on the receiving end and end up in L1 or L2. eventually it will balance out or you will recover and take the place of a Club that has done the same as you 20 years previously.

I would hate an MLS style league where only Cities above a certain population could just buy a place in the top Division without any fear that if they cannot match the level of Football required they will still be their next Season.It's why I no longer watch the Celtic league in Rugby.

MLS is the way it is because the teams were formed specifically for the league. Creating the league was a condition of having the US's World Cup bid accepted. As there was so little interest in the sport professionally, it wouldn't have been feasible to create enough teams for a promotion/relegation system. Interest in the sport has grown, but not nearly enough to make replicating the English structure feasible. It would also be more difficult to attract new fans as promotion/relegation is just not what Americans expect in professional sports for historical reasons.

A bit of a tangent to a tangent, I know. Just thought I'd explain why MLS has to be structured the way it is.

You can't expect any more in League One. You'll fill the stadium in the Premier League. I am not sure what kind of following Leeds have had in the Championship since they got there, but it isn't a bad league.

When I took over Oviedo in Adelante, their 30 000 stadium was from half-full to just over 20 000. 10 years later and it is full all the time (35000), I get a new stadium of 48500 in two years and I have won several trophies the last 3-4 years. Attendance increased with a thousand or two every year but had a little bump when I got promoted to BBVA.