Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
F0XES

Celtic Uefa Cup Final 2003/2004 Tactic

Hi guys, has anyone tried re-creating this tactic? If so, how did you do it?

I've tried to go for the same formation that they lined up with as below;

ie4jn7.png

I've tried re-creating it many times but can't seem to get the Team Instructions etc right.

Can any advise on anything at all?

Thanks in advance.

I'll be very interested how this thread goes. I've never tried it but I'd imagine setting it up similar to how you see it above. I was pretty young during this season so don't really remember the ins and outs. From what I've read over the years and watching the games back that season (Road to Seville DVD) there was a lot of long balls being played, the wide players Thompson and Agathe tended to play very wide.

I'd go for 'more direct passing', 'pass into space', 'look for overlap' and 'play wider'. As for player roles; standard keeper and CB, Thompson and Agathe CWB (a) if I remember correctly Agathe couldn't cross the road. Not too sure about lambert, maybe BBM? Lennon was your standard DM, slowed the game down with a pass backwards so either CM (d) or DM (d), Petrov I'd either go with and DLP or AP or even CM (a). As for the strikers it was the big man-little man partnership, so TM and AF?

I'll be very interested how this thread goes. I've never tried it but I'd imagine setting it up similar to how you see it above. I was pretty young during this season so don't really remember the ins and outs. From what I've read over the years and watching the games back that season (Road to Seville DVD) there was a lot of long balls being played, the wide players Thompson and Agathe tended to play very wide.

I'd go for 'more direct passing', 'pass into space', 'look for overlap' and 'play wider'. As for player roles; standard keeper and CB, Thompson and Agathe CWB (a) if I remember correctly Agathe couldn't cross the road. Not too sure about lambert, maybe BBM? Lennon was your standard DM, slowed the game down with a pass backwards so either CM (d) or DM (d), Petrov I'd either go with and DLP or AP or even CM (a). As for the strikers it was the big man-little man partnership, so TM and AF?

Thanks for the input, quality post so much appreciated.

I was about 14 at the time so if I'm honest I remember watching all the games but didn't have much of a tactical insight at that time.

Another thing I was looking to do which could be very difficult is to find "like for like" players nowadays that would fit into the squad and formation.

So, Izaguirre like Agathe.... etc.

Is there any (realistic players) that are similar to Larsson, Balde, Petrov, Thompson?

Thanks again for any suggestions.

I dont think you would ever want a player like Didi Agathe........ever......... :)

That team played quite different down each flank. Agathe was an out and out winger played in the wingback position. He was all pace, stuck the touchline and ran for the byline (about 50% of the time he actually ran the ball right out of play. Never seen a winger so inept at crossing in my life).

Thompson, on the other hand, was never a wide player. A creative midfielder shuffled out there, he player more inside and and more like a WM.

In midfield, Lennon was a destroyer who never ventured beyond the ball. Lambert was a cultured player, and Stan was full of legs and running.

Larsson was probably a complete forward - he did everything in that team, roamed around, scored every type of goal you can imagine. Sutton was absolutely a target man.

I would have the shape slightly different to how its shown in your OP. Picture below (ignore the fact its liverpool, just set it up on the save i have open)

7F5508A2C6E367F8241D36561AFDA9AC3B0E3FF4

Thanks for the input, quality post so much appreciated.

I was about 14 at the time so if I'm honest I remember watching all the games but didn't have much of a tactical insight at that time.

Another thing I was looking to do which could be very difficult is to find "like for like" players nowadays that would fit into the squad and formation.

So, Izaguirre like Agathe.... etc.

Is there any (realistic players) that are similar to Larsson, Balde, Petrov, Thompson?

Thanks again for any suggestions.

I'm guessing you are playing as Celtic then? I agree with Jambo about Agathe haha.

In goals you're sorted, same for CB, maybe big Danny Batth for cover? A big no nonsense CB.

For the wing backs I'd just stick with Izzy/Commons and Matthews/Forrest, that way you can rotate between the bank of four in midfield and the WB. Brown could do Lennon's job with the instructions to stay in position but he does have good attacking qualities so that might disrupt it if you're looking for that role. In that case either Arijan Ademi or Jorge Enriquez fits the bill.

You have Johansen who could fill the Lambert role and then Brown the Petrov role, I've tried him CM (a) before and he does very well. The strikers you want a target man to replace Sutton, so tall, strong and can score. Robert Vittek for short term and cheap or Andreas Cornelius. Now the big one Larsson, the question every Celtic manager has asked for the past 10 years, how do we replace Larsson? the closest I've ever come to it in the game is Jordan Rhodes.

To be fair, i am not too sure why you would want to re-create this tactic (No disrespect).

Celtic were epic that night, some huge performances, but tactically they were poor. Both the goals in normal time came because they didnt have a right back (Agathe was never a defender). Deco ripped celtic apart at times.

It easy to forget that Celtic were poor at times on that road to Seville. The Semi final was awful. But they had big game players. Larsson scored some goals from nothing, John Hartson came up with a couple of crucial goals and so did Alan Thompson. However whilst it was an amazing achievement, and a set of brilliant results against some top sides, it was not really a tactic triumph or a fluent side.

I would be more inclined to re-create the team that beat Rangers 6 v 2........ :)

To be fair, i am not too sure why you would want to re-create this tactic (No disrespect).

Celtic were epic that night, some huge performances, but tactically they were poor. Both the goals in normal time came because they didnt have a right back (Agathe was never a defender). Deco ripped celtic apart at times.

It easy to forget that Celtic were poor at times on that road to Seville. The Semi final was awful. But they had big game players. Larsson scored some goals from nothing, John Hartson came up with a couple of crucial goals and so did Alan Thompson. However whilst it was an amazing achievement, and a set of brilliant results against some top sides, it was not really a tactic triumph or a fluent side.

I would be more inclined to re-create the team that beat Rangers 6 v 2........ :)

I'm more on about that season, they played the 3-5-2. Not specifically that one night in Seville.

Sorry if the title has confused anyone.

IIRC O'neil actually switched between 3-5-2 and 442 a lot that season. There was a left back, who came on as a sub in the Porto game (points if you can remember him without google....) who played a bit whilst Thompson went to LM.