Which players would make the best CM/FM First XI of all time?

Matthew Etherington and Simon Davies from CM3 99/00, Lulinha was s*** hot in fm05 (pretty sure it was 05, couldve been 06).

The 3 most reliable players I have had were, Mohamed Sissoko and Fernando Gago from FM09 and by far and away the best and most reliable player for me was Steven Defour in FM10, he was a class above every midfielder I have had in any CM/FM.

Edit: Must also mention Matty Piper of sunderland on CM02/03 (yep the xbox 1 release) Played as a winger, never got less than a 7 rating, always had high cross and pass completion ratings and banged in 15-20 goals a season.

All these posts and nobody mentioning the Ghanaian legend AMRLC Nii Lamptey. The single greatest player FM has ever seen.

Or maybe not many of us have wasted the last twenty years of our life clicking continue...

Great shout! A personal fave of mine. I'm in that 20 year camp. I think they call us veterans!

Fredy Wiliam Thompson ? - 03/04 - Beast of a player, one of the best DM's I've ever seen.

Ter Stegen - Easily the best GK in any version ever (in my opinion)

Robben - On 01/02 he scored 25 goals every season for about 8 seasons, along with a boatload of assists

Supat Rungratsamee?

Pfft!

Played once in wales and managed to bring him... he dominated and I refused to sell.

Won the champions with Carmarten Town... lol.

(was a low-database MP game, that lasted for decades!)

But my vote would go to Tsigalko.

I would restart a game if I couldn't sign him lol.

Also Fryr Oskarsson... just for his horrible stats... yet magnificent performance!

Skalidis shouldn't even be mentioned, as he was a patch player.

The Greek scout was drunk on their Euro success or something like that, you could find a ton of world class players in the Greek 2nd tire who would go anywhere for 20-30K.

I remember Doukas was the new Beckham and at least 2 DC's that I cant even remember their name.

That patch was horrible...

Your striker article screenshot is bogus. You are actually putting up a picture of Kolbeinn Sigþórsson, Andri's younger brother and current Ajax striker. There are 13 years between them, I would think you would know the difference between the ancient CM 3 and a more modern version.

Oh dear! I did kind of miss the boat on that one - thanks for highlighting! The pic has now been changed :)

Collis and Orosco deserve honourable mentions from CM1.

As does a little known player from Exeter iirc Russell Coughlin who had everything rated at 20 (the highest in the game) in his 30s :D

Thread is full of nostalgia!

Can I also add that Colombian lad... Sherman Cardenas or similar, again another wildly rated South American.

Mark Kerr, Fredy W Thompson, Ochoa and the like will always have a special place in my heart...

But no-one comes close to Salvador Cabanas.. broke every record going for me and I bought him 9/10 in every game I started.. such a shame what happened to the fella.

Mark Kerr became one of the best midfielders in the world on CM 01/02

Something he didn't quite achieve in real life.

I'd imagine if this question was asked again in 10 years time, most people would have Balanta in their list.

Definitely Mark Kerr that guy was a legend regardless of the team you signed him for!

Some names that come to mind for me....

Dionisis Chiotis, Ibrahim Said, Kamouna, Taribo West (on a free!), Julius Aghahowa, David Mendes da Silva, Mark Kerr, Kim Kallstrom, Kennedy Bakircioglu. If memory serves me right (and it may not) along with Robbie Fowler they all formed a pretty formidible Sunderland team for me back in 01/02.

Kennedy Bakircioglu...

...Kahka Kaladze...

...Francis Smith in FM05...

And of course Freddy Adu

Great shout on Francis Smith, I always imagined he was a regen, he became a monster in the middle of the park for my Liverpool side.

Tonton Zola Moukoko wasn't half bad on CM 01!

All time best has got to be Dudu Cearense for me, the guy was an absolute beast as a DM.

Tonton is probably my fave all time player! He'd have given Ronaldo and Messi a run for their money!

Having thought about it, I've put together an 11 that were probably the most effective I've had in their respective positions, Its a little bit biased towards just a handful of versions as my best teams were on CM02/03, FM09/10/12 and 14....plus my memory is a bit whack.

GK - Akinfeev or Zieler

DR - Vedran Corluka

DL - Julio Arca

DC - Jack Rodwell or Danny Wilson

DC - Jonny Evans

DM - Fernando Gago

MCR - Steven Defour

MCL - Luka Modric

WR - Joaquin

WL - Matty Piper

ST - John Fleck

Having thought about it, I've put together an 11 that were probably the most effective I've had in their respective positions, Its a little bit biased towards just a handful of versions as my best teams were on CM02/03, FM09/10/12 and 14....plus my memory is a bit whack.

GK - Akinfeev or Zieler

DR - Vedran Corluka

DL - Julio Arca

DC - Jack Rodwell or Danny Wilson

DC - Jonny Evans

DM - Fernando Gago

MCR - Steven Defour

MCL - Luka Modric

WR - Joaquin

WL - Matty Piper

ST - John Fleck

Good shout on Gago! I missed him out :(

Pablo Vitti was the best player I ever had in any FM game better than Messi, Ronaldinho or anyone. Can't remember which FM or CM game it was but he scored without fail in every single game and I got him for 300k.

I think Piatti was circa FM08. I remember him well because he had a dual Italian and Argentinean nationality so you never had any work permit problems!

Just 10 hours of voting left and as things stand there are a few positions that are still in the balance. Voting in the left-back, attacking midfielder and striker positions are extremely close and could go either way in these last few hours of voting so remember to click the links in the original post at the top to get your vote in for your favourite players! There has now been over 2,000 votes so thank you to everyone who has voted so far :)

• 1 month later...

Wow, some of us don't seem to go back far enough - what about Mark Collis and Ferrarah Orosco from CM E.O.S? Also Ronaldo from CM2 was immense full season with 50+ goals and a 9.2 rate if memory serves. Tommy Svindal Larsen anyone? So many that I cannot even run through them all.

Also and anyone who has ever played Cm01/02 red disc I can teach you a thing or too..Something for you grasshoppers out there..

The Greeks::::

1-Anastasios Skalidis

2-Alexandros Papadapalopidos

3-Giannos Kalogeres

4-Niklos Tobros

I knew that database like no other...Get those 4 and unbelievable things happen..

Best Thread Ever lol. CM01/02 Aghahowa I think. that shaktar team was immense with okoronkwo and n'daiye. Would be good to get a screenshot database going of the players over the years of the game. All I need to do is find a copy of the old games.

Marshbags, what was the difference between the red and normal disk coz I could never get those greek players.

Based off the options on the list mine would be:

GK: Frey

RB: Srna

CB: S.Taylor

CB: Breno

LB: Zonneveld

DM: Maduro

RM: Jorgensen

LM: Saivet

AM: Kerlon

ST: Bojan

ST: Saviola

I think all of my greatest saves and memories had 1 of these guys in the team. From watching my Brothers dominant Parma team lead by Frey and Jorgensen (wiht Kallstrom as well) in 99/00. To having Taylor, Breno and Bojan become the rock of my 08/09 Newcastle teams! (up until this year, I always managed to win the WC with Taylor as captain and watch him make at least 50 caps).

Saviola has always been a favorite of mine since his CM days, and some of these are also in there thanks to PES memories. Some great time

Archived