Which players would make the best CM/FM First XI of all time?

UPDATE! 31/10/2014 1.30PM - VOTE CLOSES IN 10 HOURS!

A huge thank you to everyone has voted so far! After 3 months of voting, today is the final day to cast your vote and competition for the final 11 is really hotting up! Please click here for details of how to vote for your favourite all time players or click the individual links below to vote in each position. Thanks! :D

--------------------------

Hi SI community and fellow FM fans! I am new to this forum so apologies if I am posting this topic in the wrong place. I've been playing the game since Championship Manager 93 and remain a loyal fan over 20 years later. Last year I posted an article on my blog listing my top 10 favourite CM/FM players of all time and it has since become my most popular blog post.

So this got me thinking - which players would make the best CM/FM First XI of all time? I started to do a bit of online research to jog my memory of all those wonderful players who were absolute legends in the game but never quite made the grade in real life and it turned out to be a fantastic trip down memory lane. By the time I had finished I had a list of nearly 200 players!

This week I posted my first article on my quest to find out who were the most popular players in the game over the last 20 years and now I need the help of the CM/FM community to cast their votes. In the last couple of days I have posted the following articles:

Over the next couple of days I'll be posting similar articles to for left-backs, defensive midfielders, attacking midfielders, left wing, right wing and strikers. It would be great to get as many votes as possible because although I've seen posts that ask individuals vote for their best player or all-time first XI, I've never seen a First XI as voted for by the fans of the game.

So please visit the blog and cast your votes (at the links above). I'll keep this thread updated when the new articles go live and to update everyone on which players are leading the way, and please feel free to post your favourite memories and stories on my blog when you vote as I want to use as many comments from fans as possible when I write the final article!

Thanks for taking the time to read and happy voting!

Spoilsport alert.

People are just going to vote for the guy they discovered themselves as a kid or the one from the game they played the most.

I can't believe anyone is going to be so shallow.

Vote: Other (post below).

:lol:

Mark Kerr became one of the best midfielders in the world on CM 01/02

Something he didn't quite achieve in real life.

I'd imagine if this question was asked again in 10 years time, most people would have Balanta in their list.

From a lower-league perspective, I agree with Lawlore - Heidenstrom was great. If I remember correctly he was a DC/MC with great stats across the entire range.

At the top level, my best and most-reliable players was Ibrahima Bakayoko, although I think he had a starting price-tag of £10million (and this was in... 96/97?).

Well, Tonton Zola Mokouko, obviously.

Remember Austin Berkley being pretty good way back in the day as well. The two Greek keepers - Chiotis and Eleftheropolous - were good, and I always liked Fabio Paim as you could sign him as a 13 year old and he'd be a good first teamer by 16 and then could be legend for a couple of decades.

What actually happened to Bayern's Breno? I swear it was only a few years ago he was being touted to be world-beater?

Reality never met the hype, he was never even close to being great. Oh and then there was him being a lunatic and getting himself landed in jail.

Back on topic, gotta go with the man himself, Tsigalko...

What actually happened to Bayern's Breno? I swear it was only a few years ago he was being touted to be world-beater?

Check out the link to defenders - he ended up in prison but is now back working with the Bayern youth team!

Thanks for all the replies so far guys! Some great stories and you'll be pleased to know I'm working on the lists for the more attack minded players today. In the meantime I have added links to vote for left-backs and defensive midfielders on the original post. Thanks again :applause:

Erm, no Johan Porhallson? Scorer of 50 goals in the Conference for me and available on a free transfer? He was physically a beast (could only find a link in French, sorry guys but you get the gist!)

sans_t15.jpg

Cherno Samba and a big chunk of that Millwall side in CM4 that were massively overpowered - scored 50+ goals in one season for me in my Sunderland save.

Also the same Cherno Samba in one of the previous versions (CM3 or CM 01/02, or perhaps both).

No mention of Viktor Leonenko yet?! Possibly from CM 01/02.

Yeah, he was great. Earlier than CM01/02, I think.

In CM2 Marcelo Salas, Rodrigo Barrera and Cristian Castañeda were sometimes amazing, as well. It depended on the save.

I assume To Modeira has been mentioned. Don't think I ever used him (or found him), but I've heard the legend.

I do recall a bloke called Mark Smith though, a right back. He didn't look too special, but he played like a God for me. CM 01/02 maybe? Long time ago.

Edit: I recall a bloke called Andri Sigthorsson too. Scored like a madman up front.

• 4 weeks later...

GK: Sebastian Frey/Igor Akinfeev

RB: Thuram

LB: Déde

CD: Fabio Cannavaro/Mamadou Sahko

DMC/CM: Diego Simeone/Mark Kerr

AMRLC: Ariel Ortega/Martin Jorgensen

FW/ST: Mario Jardel/Enrico Chiesa/Robbie Keane

All doing things in their positions that I've not been able to better, especially Simeone (40+ goals from midfield with the help of WIBL/WOBL arrows).

Eidos, Domark, Champ Man, Managing nations, over-powered Everton teams, CM Italia, giving a young Christian Vieri his chance at Juventus, CM4, Commentary bars, 2D dots, 3D animations, Youth teams.

Halcyon days, wasted summers :applause:

Archived