Sports Interactive Community
soccer.joel

Players you hadn't heard of who impressed you most?

I've racked up so many hours on Football Manager (coupled with the amount of football I watch) that there couldn't possibly be any players at a World Cup I've never heard of!

If you mean unfashionable players though, the Algerian keeper impressed me. M'Bohli? And Leckie, the Australian winger looked good too.

The USA full back, Yedlin I think his name was? Looked very quick and exciting going forward. Also most of the Costa Rica team :D Gamboa and Bolanos were good I thought, had never heard of them before.

I think the highest profile player I hadn't heard of was Divock Origi but I wasn't overly impressed with him.

deandre yedlin, fabian johnson, islam slim thug slimani, divock origi, giancarlo gonzalez

I'd heard of most players at the WC but the ones that impressed me most that I hadn't heard of were Keylor Navas, Fabian Johnson, Kyle Beckerman, M'Bohli... that might be it actually. Everybody else that I hadn't known simply didn't impress me - Divock Origi being one.

Carlos Duarte, Abdel Djabou, and I wasn't really familiar with Enner Valencia before the tournament build-up.

There's quite a few. Keylor Navas, Divock Origi, Enner Valencia, DeAndre Yedlin, Fabian Johnson, Musa for Nigeria (Tbf only saw him for one game), Marcos Rojo. Probably some I'm forgetting aswell.

Rojo by an absolute mile for me. Maybe I should have heard of him beforehand, mind.

Rojo by an absolute mile for me. Maybe I should have heard of him beforehand, mind.

Plays for Sporting CP. Never seen him play before the WC but knew of him through FM and others talking about him. Apparently a very good player. I think the WC backed that opinion up :D

Gamboa the Costa Rican RB. Who the hell does he play for? Bet it's someone like Saprissa. Quite liked his attacking/work rate. Would be a solid player for an upper championship club/lower end Prem club I feel.

Gamboa the Costa Rican RB. Who the hell does he play for? Bet it's someone like Saprissa. Quite liked his attacking/work rate. Would be a solid player for an upper championship club/lower end Prem club I feel.

Rosenborg.

Was a hero for my Spurs FM team.

My football knowledge would be so **** without FM and it's not that impressive anyway :D

Charles Aranguiz.

Bit baffled regular football watchers hadn't even heard of James Rodriguez, he was for a while the best player in Portugal, played regularly in the Champions League, then moved in a 45 million euros transfer last season lol.

Charles Aranguiz.

Bit baffled regular football watchers hadn't even heard of James Rodriguez, he was for a while the best player in Portugal, played regularly in the Champions League, then moved in a 45 million euros transfer last season lol.

Rodriguez featured in a "unknowns XI" in a paper I read today, would expect that people who follow European football might have at least known about him

the only ones I can really state as not knowing was probably Costa Rican players, apart from Navas who I've seen in La Liga a few times

Rodriguez in an unknowns XI :D

The guy moved for 45 million fgs, a paper putting him in an unknowns XI deserves to go bust.

Never heard of Rodriguez before the World Cup and still don't know who he plays for. I pretty much only follow the premiership and even then pretty much only Liverpool. So most of the players at the World Cup I either haven't heard of, or recognise the name but don't know if they're any good or who they play for.

I've racked up so many hours on Football Manager (coupled with the amount of football I watch) that there couldn't possibly be any players at a World Cup I've never heard of!

If you mean unfashionable players though, the Algerian keeper impressed me. M'Bohli? And Leckie, the Australian winger looked good too.

Leckie has been crap for Australia besides at World Cup. Can't play final ball and is only pace

I remember the days when Rodriguez was a -10 wonderkid at Banfield on FM10. You could get him for 2 mil or something and I'd sign him every time

Never heard of Rodriguez before the World Cup and still don't know who he plays for. I pretty much only follow the premiership and even then pretty much only Liverpool. So most of the players at the World Cup I either haven't heard of, or recognise the name but don't know if they're any good or who they play for.

Monaco .

Pleased Rojo got a mention, thought he had a good tournament.

As Rhino said maybe should have been more aware of him.

Knew about Rojo :cool: Starting CB in my FM12/13 save for many a year :)

Wonder if Alan Shearer had heard of James Rodriguez before the tournament?

Mathieu Valbuena, Keylor Navas, José Giménez, and DeAndre Yedlin. To name a few.

Someone of your vast football knowledge hadn't heard of Valbuena? I find that hard to believe

Tejeda, Brahimi, Besic, Afful and Dominguez the Ecuador keeper.

What surprised me most was Rojo actually doing well. I guess he's better at left back, don't think he's that great as a CB for Sporting. Too many fouls.

Someone of your vast football knowledge hadn't heard of Valbuena? I find that hard to believe

Heard his name once or twice, I feel. But I never saw him play before the World Cup. And I definitely didn't know in which position he played.

yeah no idea how people hadn't heard of James Rodriguez or Valbuena. I'd go with Yedlin.

I think I'd've looked at you blankly if you'd asked me what I thought of Hameez Rodriguez before the tournament started though.

Definitely Yedlin. Origi looked good when he first came on the pitch against Algeria, got a bit worse in the next games.

I'd never heard of Rodriguez and have an FM13 game in 2022. Total revelation for me.

I think I'd've looked at you blankly if you'd asked me what I thought of Hameez Rodriguez before the tournament started though.

I even knew it was pronounced Hamez :cool: Only because I recently had a Monaco game on in the background and the commentators kept saying it instead of Rodriguez.

I don't think seeing a name in FM quantifies as hearing about a player. However FM did make me aware of some players who I then judge based on their performance. I will never say I heard of a player because I seen them in a game. However, I was particularly interested in seeing Balanta play as I'd never seen him play before but recognized him from FM.

Players who stood out; Navas (seen him play before but never took notice)

Enner Valencia (only seen him in a friendly before the WC)

Beckerman

Yedlin

C. Sanchez

M. Diaz

So you'd say you were aware of a player but not heard about him?

Probably sounds a bit silly but yeah. Before the WC started I read the names of all the players in every squad so if people use FM as a basis of knowing players then I knew everyone at the WC

Cuadrado was a revelation in the sense that I never heard of him before in all honesty.

Cuadrado was a revelation in the sense that I never heard of him before in all honesty.

I had heard about him and heard he was good at fiorentina but never seen him play before World Cup

surely as an FM player u would have heard of him

Haven't played FM for years and he isn't exactly a very known player IRL :)

Tejeda, Besic, Afful, Dominguez (Ecuador GK) + Djabou I agree with, but everyone else mentioned in here so far I had heard of before the tournament.

Except Kramer, I had never heard of him before. Wasn't massively impressed by him though.

Only others I might add to the impressive and I've never heard of would be Oshaniwa (Nigeria) and Hajsafi (Iran), but it's hard to add to the 5 above.

Haven't played FM for years and he isn't exactly a very known player IRL :)

Think Ochoa was like FM07/08.. that is 7 years :D so can't use that excuse!