Diamonds are ... forever? (Looking for Advice)

Hey everyone!

First of all, I wanted to say thank you for the help everyone's given so far. You've turned a hopeless FMer into a 2x Premier League champion, 3x FA Cup winner and a Euro Cup winner. Still no Champions League, but I am working on it!!

Over the past 3 seasons my philosophy has changed somewhat partly down to the quality of players I've been able to acquire / develop off the back of the success and partly down to the opposition changing their set up as we gain reputation.

I am now looking to switch from a direct, attacking system to a dominant, possession / controlling system and I want to be sure I am translating my ideas into the correct tactical instructions.

My Vision

My latest idea centres around using a fluid diamond midfield containing highly technically skilled players to dominate possession.

There are 3 things I always insist upon which have brought be success so far:

1. A solid defence
  2. One wide player on each flank with attack duty to stretch opposition.
  3. An aggressive pressing system.

Implementing this in Football Manager

I started by debating a traditional 4-4-2 Diamond but saw two problems:

1. Lack of width; both in attack and pressing fullbacks
  2. 2nd striker gets in Ramsey's way

I then thought about a Barcelona-esq 4-3-3 with Ozil up top but I actually did that in my first season and it was good, but we did lack penetration. I prefer FCs as my main attackers than AMR/AML. Always get more goals from a striker.

I briefly thought about a back 3 but frankly that frightened me and I like having fullbacks..

Finally I settled on this:

Diamond.png

Basically a fluid diamond midfield in front of a back 4, flanked by an attacking player on each wing and nestled in behind a complete forward for penetration.

The diamond set up works amazingly well.

In possession, Ramsey charges forward combining nicely with Ozil and became a 20 goal midfielder last season. As regista Wilshere pushes up into Ramsey's spot alongside Pogba creating a nice double pivot. Basically becoming a box midfield and giving nice defensive transition when we lose the ball.

My main questions are:

1. Am I using the optimal Mentality for a possession oriented game?
  2. Should I be using a Fluid or Standard given my playmakers? If so would that affect my midfield movement?

Right now I am measuring my domination by achieving 60%+ possession and 100 plus passes from most of my midfielders. I am actually achieving an average of 55%+ possession and averaging 80 passes.

Advice and comments are welcome!

To be honest - if you are achieving 60%+ possession and over 100 passes from most of your midfield - I would say you have answered your own question! As for mentality - Control is the highest I would use - the gist of possession football though is it is often cautious - i.e. not giving the ball away, which generally comes with a lower mentality. It depends how you want to use possession. It could be "possession to not let the opponents have the ball" - which is a cautious mindset (therefore generally comes with a lower mentality), or, a "keep the ball in that middle and final third, and probe around for that opening" which is a slightly higher mindset.

I tried something along these lines too, although for some reason I restarted a new game and went a different path.

I agree with Llama3, it seems as if you are succeeding anyway. (Although just double checking, is it that the 60/100 mark is your target and you currently are getting 55/80?)

Do you use many player instructions?

Interesting thread, I have tried to make this work ala Brazil's Dunga so this is a different take. I guess the key to this is the Ramsey role, nd if you have someone who does not fit it well the scoring might be an issue? How is this defensively, especially with the pressing?

I play a diamond but don't have trouble getting my wide players forward. I set my DL/DR both as CWBs with PIs fewer risky passes and cross less often. They love to bomb forward and form a 5 man attack with my 2 strikers and AMC, but are able to get back and perform defensive duties. Playing a Halfback is crucial when playing CWBs in my opinion. I've just finished a season conceding 0.5 goals / game and scoring 3.0.

The main thing for the CWBs is to have the physical attributes to cope with it, as they will cover more ground than anyone. I've got 4 good players who I use in rotation and they are the top 4 in the league for distance covered / game by some margin.

To be honest - if you are achieving 60%+ possession and over 100 passes from most of your midfield - I would say you have answered your own question! As for mentality - Control is the highest I would use - the gist of possession football though is it is often cautious - i.e. not giving the ball away, which generally comes with a lower mentality. It depends how you want to use possession. It could be "possession to not let the opponents have the ball" - which is a cautious mindset (therefore generally comes with a lower mentality), or, a "keep the ball in that middle and final third, and probe around for that opening" which is a slightly higher mindset.

Apologies if I wasn't clear - 60%+ possession & 100+ passes is the goal. Right now I am close, at about 55% and 80-ish passes. It's working well but I'd like to take it to the next level. I have thought about dropping the mentality to standard or counter but I prefer having the possession in the opposition half.

I'd be interested to see your player instructions and so on. I've tried formations with CWBs and no one else on that wing, and I always seem to get attacked down that side

He does have a DLP(d) on that side who comes deep and probably helps double up on that flank. The regista is also likely to help out on the wing.

Switching to fluid might give you a little more space between the lines to pass the ball around and will lower creative freedom a bit which can reduce risky passes.

I would seriously consider making pogba a box to box midfielder but that probably won't increase possession or lead to more passing. Just give you another player to get into the box from time to time and cause trouble.

Changing to a sweeper keeper makes sense for me if you play with a higher defensive line and pressing system.

Interesting thread, I have tried to make this work ala Brazil's Dunga so this is a different take. I guess the key to this is the Ramsey role, nd if you have someone who does not fit it well the scoring might be an issue? How is this defensively, especially with the pressing?

Yea the Ramsey role is essential. I am looking forward to trying this out on next year's FM as I should imagine Ramsey will see a fairly significant improvement.

Archived