Third Place Playoff: Brazil V The Netherlands - 12th July - 21:00 BST

PMLF

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Across the street from me they set off fireworks after the last whistle, which seems fairly ludicrous to me for a 3rd place.

Compared to the local league, this feels like an actual achievement

Across the street from me they set off fireworks after the last whistle, which seems fairly ludicrous to me for a 3rd place.

Holland so should be in the finals...I kind of suspect Argentina will make a boring game tomorrow, let's hope not. But congrats to holland, I rly liked this team so much more than WC 2010 team.

Well done to the Dutch for scoring and well done Brazil for conceding?
What did Brazil do well? :D

Brazil didn't throw the game away. They tried despite lack of quality striker.

Brazil actually weren't that bad. The defenders, even David Luiz, were actually decent. But they were let down by the midfielders who provided no cover whatsoever. The forwards weren't good enough either. With Neymar out, Willian and Oscar had an impossible task to carry the team.

tbf to the Dutch I'd say coming 3rd in this WC is a pretty decent achievement. I like many others I'm sure didn't think they'd be all that as their squad, especially their defence looks pretty poor on paper. I didn't even think they'd get out of that group with Spain and Chile.

Brazil didn't throw the game away. They tried despite lack of quality striker.

Brazil actually weren't that bad. The defenders, even David Luiz, were actually decent. But they were let down by the midfielders who provided no cover whatsoever. The forwards weren't good enough either. With Neymar out, Willian and Oscar had an impossible task to carry the team.

I thought Luiz was pants and was even at fault for the 2nd goal. I can only assume the PSG owners are attempting to launder cash paying what they did for him.

David Luiz was **** today (again), but I think he will do fine at PSG, they just need to get some midfielder to cover for him when he goes forward.

Scolari, please drop Paulinho.
Nah, definitely Paulinho. Has made Brazil play as if they were one man down.
Paulinho makes his midfield teammates confused as to where they should stand. Therefore, Brazil are overrun in the midfield. Of course, David Luiz will make mistakes.

I love that Paulinho is tonight being linked with a £20m move to Juventus. Please happen :D

Wow, without Neymar Brazil are worse than ordinary. There actually plain bad.

Watched this in a square in Manaus with a load of Brazilians and much like the Germany game, once it was clear they were losing (after the 2nd goal this time) they were booing Brazil and cheering for the Dutch.

Can't believe their 2 main strikers are Fred and Jo, how did that happen?! Oh and David Luiz, 50 million? :D

still don't get the Fred scapegoating that seems to be going on in Brazil. He's not good enough but I don't really see how that it is his fault he's not a Ronaldo, Romario or a Pele. Scolari is the one who keeps picking him. Scapegoating a striker when you've let in 7 in a game just seems mental. The fact Brazil let in 7 goals and Julio Cesar was one of the better players in the game says it all really.

still don't get the Fred scapegoating that seems to be going on in Brazil. He's not good enough but I don't really see how that it is his fault he's not a Ronaldo, Romario or a Pele. Scolari is the one who keeps picking him. Scapegoating a striker when you've let in 7 in a game just seems mental. The fact Brazil let in 7 goals and Julio Cesar was one of the better players in the game says it all really.

The other options are even worse than Fred too, but in Brazil someone is always scapegoated in case of defeat.

I thought Dutch may have lowered heads and Brazil really want to fight in this last game but ... I was wrong, very wrong indeed

Neymar is protected from all this but up until last night so was Silva. He may still get away with it, they need some players to survive the fall out

Fred and Jo and some others will never be seen or heard of again

Didn't see this match (was at a metal festival) but it sounds like the boys in Orange did us proud. THIRD place! Nobody would have believed someone predicting that :cool:

Unbeaten, too! (not counting loss on penos of course).

Louis van Gaal: genius.

David Luiz was **** today (again), but I think he will do fine at PSG, they just need to get some midfielder to cover for him when he goes forward.

They play Verratti, Matuidi, Cabaye on midfield. None of them are comfortable at dropping back into the center-backs. All of them are more than capable enough of dominating a midfield, without needing a marauding brainless centre-back dribbling into their space. Good luck to them, they're gonna need it.

If I were a betting man, I'd back Brazil. Last game in Brazil after a terrible loss in the semi's. And let's not forget that the Netherlands knocked Brazil out the 2010 WC in the quarter finals. I'll be watching, but I'll probably not be enjoying this game.

Called it, flawless victory!

The other options are even worse than Fred too, but in Brazil someone is always scapegoated in case of defeat.

Right, but Freddy as our number 9 scored just one goal the entire WC. Just one goal, and against Camaroon. Don't think this ever happened before with Brazil in WCs.

He was useless.

Right, but Freddy as our number 9 scored just one goal the entire WC. Just one goal, and against Camaroon. Don't think this ever happened before with Brazil in WCs.

He was useless.

Fair enough, but when another team puts 5 past you inside of half an hour, clearly the striker isn't the biggest problem. So picking Fred as the main scapegoat, rather than David Luiz or Marcelo, seems rather arbitrary.

Fred really can't help it that he's not good enough can he? He's put in the team as the main striker despite being pretty poor.

Scolari is by far the most responsable for this, his team selection is just horrible. He also left his best defenders at home.

If he had picked me to be Brazil's number 9, and I would have (obviously) performed horribly, would I be the guilty one or would Scolari be the guilty one?

David Luiz and Marcelo were horrible against Germany and Holland, but Fred was horrible the entire WC.

It's very complicated when you can't trust in your striker. He prefers to dive instead of wait for the conclusion of a move, etc. Just horrible. He can't even press the opponents defense. He was way too far from the Confederations Cup performance. Seemed completely uninterested.

RubenJ, who better defenders he left home?

Felipe Luiz for a start. Miranda could have been useful as well.

Also, Maicon is not as good as Alves. Alves might be erratic, but Maicon hardly did a great job. Also if you look at the results with him in the team and without him...

David Luiz going forward at every opportunity like a madman is probably also Scolari's fault. He should instruct his players, and if they don't listen they move to the bench.

Regarding Fred, it's not like there are plenty of options, average or not, by far the best option Brazil had.

Unless Brazil played without any strikers, which would be too odd, only Mano Menezes tried that and it only worked against small teams.

Have Brazil ever tried a 4-3-1-2? Something along the lines of Fernandinho-Luiz Gustavo-Ramires at base of midfield, Oscar as #10, Neymar and Hulk as roaming forwards, the width coming from the overlapping fullbacks.

It's an Italian-type tactic that is pretty defensive and not well suited for a top nation like Brazil who needs to dominate most matches, but if needed to increase your attacking abilities you could also put Hernanes as one of the midfield trio behind Oscar, as a deep-lying playmaker, Pirlo-esque type role. The obvious shortfall of this game plan is lack of height upfront, but it's not like Fred's presence there giving that height really did anything for Brazil. The advantage of that deep trio of destroyers is that it would help greatly mask the defensive problems of the team, and let the full-backs move forward more freely.

Archived