Still think this has been the best World Cup?

el sid

Best ever World Cup?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Best ever World Cup?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never thought this was the best one and I certainly still don't think it is.

People got fooled by the rubbish defenses leading to plenty of goals in the group stage.

Group games were 1 of the best of any World Cup I can remember, since then it has been downhill.

The Colombia vs Brazil game was quite good to watch but maybe more for the wrong reasons, I have a feeling the CS vs Holland game could be something the same.

Hopefully the semi finals and final will be much better for the viewer.

QFs have been poor but it's been the best World Cup I've seen in years

miles better than South Africa certainly, probably better than Germany and Japan/South Korea as well

I've enjoyed the World Cup, although the quality has gone downhill a bit since last Saturday which is to be expected really. Going to be more cagier the closer to the final we get.

2002 was pretty great from what I remember this one probably around about the same.

I've enjoyed the World Cup, although the quality has gone downhill a bit since last Saturday which is to be expected really. Going to be more cagier the closer to the final we get.

2002 was pretty great from what I remember this one probably around about the same.

2002 was pretty poor, many big teams eliminated early, biased refereeing, Brazil pretty much the only big team to stand out, Germany very lucky to even reach the final.

My personal ranking, from the ones I saw:

1 - 1982 - incredible ammount of stars: Zico, Sócrates, Falcão, Maradona, Boniek, Rummenigge, Platini, 10-1 result, goal being called off by the Sultan, even the English played well, Cameroon, Honduras and Algeria making it hard for the superpowers for the first time all together, etc. - although there was the infamous Germany x Austria match.

2 - 1986 - pretty much the same stars, older - Danish football, amazing athmosphere in the stands, Maradona´s play and antics

3 - 1998 - Croatia, Paraguay, Iran x USA match (quite remarkable storyline though I rooted for USA), BrazilxHolland match, Zidane

4 - this one

5 - 1994

6 - 2002

7 - 2006

8 - 2010

9 - 1990

10 - 1978

98 will always be my favourite

it was the first one i was old enough to appreciate, the best QF when argentina beat england, major drama before the final with the whole ronaldo illness and the best scenes of celebration around paris when france won it

oh and we got to skive of lessons in school to watch some of the games

I tell you what, if Costa Rica can pull of a win tonight then it will certainly add a very nice touch to this World Cup.

Sure we see smaller teams maybe get to the last 16 and maybe even the quarter finals but a semi final would be something very special.

Eh? The Round of 16 was fantastic. One of the three quarter-finals to date (Brazil-Colombia) was tremendously entertaining. What do people want?

5 goals every game and constant attacking football from both sides. Anything less is 'boring'.

Razzler, not only I do, I have some of the games recorded. Let me know if you need any information about it. I´ll trade for a Stella.

I remember 1982 very well I just meant being Tele Santana and all I would expect YOU would remember ... being Brazil manager and all :/

Quality much better than in 2010. I think that was one of the poorest World Cups, which might explain why people think this World Cup is so good.

As others have said, the knock-out stages have disappointed after the promise of the group stage games. Quarter-finals haven't been great.

It's been a very poor tournament for underdogs overall. Also, no team really standing out and capturing the imagination.

It's a good World Cup but definitely not the best in my opinion.

We've seen the underdog thing. Been there, done that. South Korea, USA and Turkey in 2002, Greece at Euro 2004, nice stories but dilutes the quality of the tournament. Of the quarter-final "underdogs", only Colombia were bringing anything to the party and would have improved the semis. Brazil vs. Germany and Argentina vs. Netherlands = no clear favourites, no-one playing for penalties like Costa Rica did today, or France yesterday. Better chance of some quality games.

By the way, the average goals per game at this World Cup is now only 2.62, compared to 2.9 in last season's Champions League and 2.77 in last season's Premier League.

Still way above the Brazilian League average goals per game though, which is 2.14 this year and was 2.46 last year.

Brazil vs. Germany and Argentina vs. Netherlands = no clear favourites, no-one playing for penalties like Costa Rica did today, or France yesterday. Better chance of some quality games.

Doubtful. More likely Brazil, Germany, Argentina and Netherlands will be playing not to lose. Don't take chances when the other team is good enough to punish you, etc.

Quality much better than in 2010. I think that was one of the poorest World Cups, which might explain why people think this World Cup is so good.

As others have said, the knock-out stages have disappointed after the promise of the group stage games. Quarter-finals haven't been great.

It's been a very poor tournament for underdogs overall. Also, no team really standing out and capturing the imagination.

It's a good World Cup but definitely not the best in my opinion.

Agree with that.

Partly it's how the draw has played out. The underdog South American teams all eaten up by Brazil. Argentina progressing quite an easy route.

I think its been the best so far. Easy to remember the quarter finals have been less entertaining than hoped, but the groups and last 16 games were by and large so good it was bound to dip at some point.

Semi finals and final have the potential to be fantastic :thup:

A few poor games in the QFs and everyone's up in arms :D The groups were absolutely fantastic, I really enjoyed the round of 16, QFs a bit crap (Brazil vs Colombia was a good game though) Still got the semis and final to go, if they're great then it will surely go down as one of the great world cups.

I'm only 22 so don't have a lot to compare with but it's the best I've seen so far. Especially when you compare it to the borefest of 2010.

I think what makes this World Cup so good is that almost every match has been contested until the end. Goals have gone down in the QFs but the matches are still tight. Likewise, the goal scoring average may be not as high as some recent World Cups but outside of Germany v Portugal & Netherlands v Spain there weren't blowouts to push the average up. A lot of 2-1 score lines, which is a perfect scoring rate for me as a viewer.

Archived