Quarter Finals - France vs Germany (17:00 BST) & Brazil vs Colombia (21:00 BST)

gillsminnow

France vs Germany (17:00 BST)

francevsgermany.png

TEAM NEWS

Germany defender Shkodran Mustafi has been ruled out of the rest of the World Cup with a thigh injury.

Coach Joachim Low has said that seven members of his squad are suffering from flu symptoms but they should all be available for selection.

France coach Didier Deschamps may select Antoine Griezmann in place of Olivier Giroud, meaning Karim Benzema would play as a central striker.

Defender Mamadou Sakho has recovered from injury.

MATCH PREVIEW

Germany coach Joachim Low says that "France versus Germany has always been a classic", and in their three previous meetings at the World Cup they have not disappointed.

Seventeen goals have been scored at an average of 5.7 per match. Their 1982 semi-final in Seville was described by France great Michel Platini as "my most beautiful game" but it threw up one of the most controversial moments in the tournament's history thanks to the horrific challenge by Germany goalkeeper Harald Schumacher on Patrick Battiston.

The Frenchman left the field on oxygen with three cracked ribs, two missing teeth and a damaged vertebrae. To add insult to injury, Schumacher went on to save two penalties in the shoot-out after a stunning match had finished 3-3 after extra time.

Germany's current goalkeeper Manuel Neuer made headlines for all the right reasons against Algeria with a stunning demonstration of how to play as a 'goal-sweeper'.

Acting as an auxiliary defender at times because of Germany's defence playing a high line, he put in a passable impression of the great Franz Beckenbauer, with an incredible 21 touches outside his area to snuff out any danger.

Since pummelling Portugal in their opening match in Brazil, Germany's form has steadily tailed off and they were hugely disappointing against the Algerians.

A lengthening injury list and an outbreak of flu in the camp hardly helped their display and the German media were far from complimentary.

It has been a different story for neighbours France. After such a traumatic tournament in 2010, coach Didier Deschamps - who is still yet to suffer defeat at a World Cup as a player or coach - has a unified squad pulling together in the right direction.

A youthful presence in his side has helped add vitality, and World Cup rookies Paul Pogba and Antoine Griezmann proved to be the difference against Nigeria.

"There is a form of insouciance with the younger players," Deschamps said. "They're full of life, that's what you expect from a younger player".

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• This is the 26th meeting between the sides. France have won 11 times, Germany eight and there have been six draws.

• They have met three times before at the World Cup. France won the first encounter 6-3 in the third-place play-off in 1958. The two sides drew 3-3 at the semi-final stage in 1982 before West Germany prevailed 5-4 on penalties. Four years later, West Germany won another semi-final 2-0.

France

• On the last five occasions that France have progressed past the first round at the World Cup, they have gone on to reach the semi-final stage (1958, 1982, 1986, 1998 and 2006).

• Les Bleus are now on 10 goals at this World Cup, equalling their tally from the previous three World Cup campaigns combined (2002, 2006 and 2010).

• All 10 of France's goals during this World Cup have come from inside the penalty area.

• They have lost only one of the 10 games they have ever played in Brazil (W6, D3).

• France have hit the woodwork six times at this World Cup, more often than any other team.

• They have not conceded a first-half goal in any of their last 12 games.

• Mathieu Valbuena completed 94% of his passes in the last round against Nigeria.

• Karim Benzema has had an unrivalled 13 shots on target at this World Cup ahead of the quarter-finals.

Germany

• Germany are contesting a quarter-final for the ninth straight World Cup.

• They have reached the semi-finals at the last three World Cups. No nation has ever made the last four in four successive tournaments.

• Germany are unbeaten in their last 15 internationals (W10, D5), the best run of any side still involved at the World Cup.

• They had 16 shots on goal against Algeria, as many as they had in their three group matches combined.

• Manuel Neuer celebrates winning a half century of caps in this game and has lost just three times in his previous 49 appearances.

• Toni Kroos (473) has had more touches than any other player at this World Cup so far. Team-mate Philipp Lahm (437) is the only other player to have more than 400.

• Thomas Muller has been directly involved in seven of Germany's last 12 goals at the World Cup (five goals, two assists).

• Germany had a record seven Bayern Munich players in their starting line-up against Algeria. Players from Bayern have contributed 14 goals at this World Cup - more than any other club side - Thomas Mueller (Germany) four, Arjen Robben (Netherlands) and Xherdan Shaqiri (Switzerland) three, Mario Mandzukic (Croatia) two, Mario Goetze (Germany) and Julian Green (United States) one.

44.jpg

ESTADIO JORNALISTA MÁRIO FILHO (MARACANÃ)

Brazil vs Colombia (21:00 BST)

brazilvscolombia.png

TEAM NEWS

Brazil star Neymar will be fit despite suffering blows to his thigh and knee against Chile.

Paulinho may replace banned midfielder Luis Gustavo, although coach Luiz Felipe Scolari is also considering switching to a 3-5-2 formation.

Colombia coach Jose Pekerman has reported no injury concerns.

Pekerman boldly fielded two strikers in the last 16 against Uruguay and must decide whether to drop Jackson Martinez in order to field an extra midfielder.

MATCH PREVIEW

Colombia star James Rodriguez has stressed there is "no pressure" on Los Cafeteros as they prepare for the first World Cup quarter-final in their history.

But for opponents Brazil, the host nation and tournament favourites, the weight of expectation is proving a heavy burden.

Several players burst into tears after their last-16 victory against Chile, including goalkeeper Julio Cesar, who sobbed openly during post-match interviews, and the team's emotional state has proved a hot topic in the build-up to this game.

Carlos Alberto, Brazil's World Cup captain in 1970, believes the Selecao should save their tears until after they have lifted the trophy at the Maracana on 13 July.

"The team is crying when they're singing the anthem, when they get hurt, when they shoot penalties! Come on... Stop crying! Enough!" he said.

Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari asked sport psychologist Regina Brandao to speak to the squad on Tuesday to help them deal with the pressure.

Top scorer Neymar says the sessions have been beneficial but maintains that "nobody has an emotional problem - everything is OK".

The hosts will need to be fully focussed against a Colombia side who have reached the last eight with a style and swagger largely missing from Brazil's play.

Colombia coach Jose Pekerman admits the Brazilians have yet to hit top form.

"Sometimes a team with a lot of potential, if they don't find the result and they need to win, they can't play so brilliantly," he said.

"So the competition becomes interesting because a team with less individual stars can disturb the balance of the other team."

The quarter-finals may be unchartered territory for Colombia's players, but not for Pekerman, who led his native Argentina to the last eight of 2006 World Cup in Germany.

On that occasion they also faced the hosts, but bowed out after losing on penalties.

Pekerman was later criticised for his uncharacteristically cautious decision to substitute playmaker Juan Riquelme whilst Argentina led 1-0.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Colombia have won just two of their 25 previous games against Brazil and have never defeated them on Brazilian soil.

• Their last victory against the Selecao was a 2-0 win in the group stage of the Copa America in 1991 (staged in Chile).

• It is 11 years since Brazil last beat Colombia. The four most recent meetings all ended in draws. Three of those games finished 0-0.

• The most recent encounter was a 1-1 draw in New York in November 2012. Juan Cuadrado put Colombia ahead before Neymar equalised, but the Brazilian star also hit a penalty over the bar.

Brazil

• They have reached the quarter-finals for the sixth consecutive time. They have lost at this stage in the last two tournaments, with defeat by the Dutch in 2010 their last competitive loss.

• Their only defeat in the last 25 games came against Switzerland last August (W18, D6, L1).

• Brazil are unbeaten in 41 successive home matches, with their last defeat coming against Paraguay in August 2002.

• Their last competitive defeat at home was 3-1 to Peru in the 1975 Copa America semi-final.

Colombia

• Los Cafeteros are unbeaten in their last 11 games (W7, D4) since losing 2-0 in Uruguay last September.

• If they avoid defeat in Fortaleza it will be their longest unbeaten run since a 27-game streak between 1992 and 1994.

• They have won more World Cup matches in Brazil (four) than in their previous 13 tournament games combined.

• James Rodriguez has scored in each of his last six appearances for Colombia.

• He has scored five World Cup goals and assisted two more in 310 minutes on the pitch - which equates to scoring or assisting a goal every 44 minutes.

• Ten of Colombia's last 13 World Cup goals have been scored in the second half of matches.

• Coach Jose Pekerman is unbeaten in nine World Cup matches (W7, D2). However, one of Pekerman's two draws was followed by a penalty shootout defeat by Germany in 2006 in his final match in charge of Argentina.

2426.jpg

ESTÁDIO GOVERNADOR PLÁCIDO ADERALDO CASTELO

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brazil line-up the last time they met Colombia (November 2012):

Diego Alves; Daniel Alves, Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Leandro Castán; Paulinho, Ramires, Oscar, Kaká, Thiago Neves; Neymar

I'm rooting for France only because I have a fiver on Benzema top goalscorer, quite like Germany too though so aside from money I'm not too bothered about who wins that one. Definitely want Colombia to beat Brazil though.

I'm surprised so many want the French to win.

I want France to win because they're the only team left in the tournament who I actively want to succeed (Italy went out in the groups, obv).

Not at all surprised by the Colombia love-in. I have fallen for it too.

I'm surprised so many want the French to win.

I want France to win because they're the only team left in the tournament who I actively want to succeed (Italy went out in the groups, obv).

Not at all surprised by the Colombia love-in. I have fallen for it too.

Some of us loved them before the world cup :brock:

Oh ffs let it go, you would think anyone who is a fan of Serie A and had their team booted out of Serie A for cheating would get over it.

Nice to see Löw finally realized that Khedira in midfield and Lahm at right back is a much stronger lineup than Lahm in midfield and Boateng at right back. I assume he's going to say something about Mertesacker not being fully fit, though.

Some of us loved them before the world cup :brock:

I'm sure.

I liked 'em before the World Cup (based on their players alone, hadn't really watched them tbh)...but I didn't realise they played such good football too.

Is Mertasacker dropped or injured?

Edit. He is a sub so assumed he has been dropped. Not because of how he is playing but Low is suited to having faster CB I assume.

Has the Flu apparently. Arsenal play with a high line and he doesn't get particularly exposed.

would have dropped kroos for andre schurrle and played Ozil at number 10.

Ozil outwide is just a waste of time he'll come up with a few moments but he has to track back which he is crap at and it limits him so much. I wouldn't drop Kroos particularly since Khedira and Schweinsteiger aren't fit enough

Has the Flu apparently. Arsenal play with a high line and he doesn't get particularly exposed.

Ozil outwide is just a waste of time he'll come up with a few moments but he has to track back which he is crap at and it limits him so much. I wouldn't drop Kroos particularly since Khedira and Schweinsteiger aren't fit enough

I agree but Germany were caught out a lot against Algeria and a better team would have caught them out. But I assumed all players recovered from the flu. Think it is tactical.

I agree but Germany were caught out a lot against Algeria and a better team would have caught them out. But I assumed all players recovered from the flu. Think it is tactical.

Yeah people who said flu are saying otherwise now. Poor move tactically but this is Low who is incompetent

I'm sure.

I liked 'em before the World Cup (based on their players alone, hadn't really watched them tbh)...but I didn't realise they played such good football too.

Due to my awful sleeping patterns I was able to watch the South American qualifiers (not much else on TV that time of day) - only reason I was able to watch them :D

Nice to see Löw finally realized that Khedira in midfield and Lahm at right back is a much stronger lineup than Lahm in midfield and Boateng at right back. I assume he's going to say something about Mertesacker not being fully fit, though.

It seems he's learning from Pep's mistakes.

Archived