Round of 16 - Netherlands vs Mexico (17:00 BST) & Costa Rica vs Greece (21:00 BST)

gillsminnow

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it was the commentator that was saying it, I have huge doubts that any English commentator would be saying their player dived (something Robben done soooo many times in that match) then say that it did not matter 1 bit as long as England wins.

I also doubt that in the BBC after match summary they would be praising the player that dived to win the penalty the way these Dutch guys are.

Lineker would give it the " he might have dived, but we won" with that "I'm one of the lads" sort of faces he pulls, I expect Chiles would probably do that as well considering the ITV coverage

It is not really the fact he dived 1 time to win the penalty, it is the fact he dives sooooo many times.

On 67 minutes he went down then he realized he was just short of the box, he got himself up moved that 2 foot to get into the box and then looked for a players leg to bang against to go back down again, honestly I cringe watching him.

Don't even think Greece will get through.

Costa Rica/Greece will be brutal tonight. Both sides will sit back.

blatantly going to be a 4-3 thriller because a lot of people will not tune in due to the teams :cool:

blatantly going to be a 4-3 thriller because a lot of people will not tune in due to the teams :cool:

Haha here's hoping!

I'll tune in because football :cool: I think 2-1 to Costa Rica. I see Greece scoring regardless...it's just whether CRC can find the net or not.

People here seem to give a totally wrong dimension to penalty rule. For them, if the player acts a little bit or even a lot, theres no penalty anymore.

The penalty in Robben was clear.

Was rooting for Mexico, but sit on a result is always the worse decision to take. Despite the first half penalty not given, Netherlands was totally dominated by Mexico until the second half.

People here seem to give a totally wrong dimension to penalty rule. For them, if the player acts a little bit or even a lot, theres no penalty anymore.

The penalty in Robben was clear.

Was rooting for Mexico, but sit on a result is always the worse decision to take. Despite the first half penalty not given, Netherlands was totally dominated by Mexico until the second half.

No it wasn't. If you completely ignore the issue of whether Robben dived or not, there's still no/not enough contact for it to be a penalty.

If he touched him it wasn't enough to put him off or to stop him getting past, so it's clearly not a foul.

Well this makes no sense.

Sure it does. Considering your posting record in this thread I don't count on your approval, though.

To be fair, this result was a long time coming. First half Mexico was the better team, in the second half, barring the 5 minutes in which Mexico scored their goal, the Dutch were superior. And let's be fair: Robben dove once in the first half (admitted it after the game), but should have had a penalty call at a crucial moment in the game: just minutes before half time when the score was still 0-0. Game changer, no doubt. The fact that the penalty wasn't awarded lines up nicely considering two unfair penalties against in the first two games, as well as a possible red card not awarded in the second game against Australia. In my opinion, Marques did foul Robben, but Robben went down with his normal dramatical antics. You may hate him for it, which would be fair if you're a neutral, but in the end I would call it justice.

Whatever Robben did, my first thought is that someone as experienced as Marquez is SO BLOODY STUPID for leaving a foot in there in that manner against a player so notorious and prolific at winning penalties. Terrible, terrible defending.

It's not entirely clear but it looks as if Marquez steps on Robben's toe. If a defender steps on a forward's toe it's a foul every time, surely it doesn't fall into "contact that's not a foul". Even if evidently it would've been much harder for the referee to call it had Robben not behaved as if he'd been taken out by a sniper.

I wish in instances like that they could give the penalty and still book the player for making a massive meal of it,

I think refs never do that just to spare the poor "bright" TV commentators who'd take ages to understand what's going on. :D

Costa Rica looking good going forward so far. Thought Greece would be hard to open up but Costa Rica move the ball quickly and accurately (so far anyway). Could take advantage of a slow Greece defence here...

Archived