Sports Interactive Community
gillsminnow

Round of 16 - Netherlands vs Mexico (17:00 BST) & Costa Rica vs Greece (21:00 BST)

What's this ********? :/

The Dutch national side conducted an experiment which concluded that a professional footballer loses around 4 litres of body fluid when playing in 45 minutes of heat in the Fortaleza (sp?) sunshine. It is absolutely essential therefore to replace said fluids or you risk the health and safety of the footballer. So the Dutch demanded water breaks.

It's possibly due to the heat that we saw, for example, an immense first half but a scrappy second half of BRA/CHI. Maybe a water break would have helped the Brazilians/Chileans.

On no a 3 min break when it's over 30, it's the end of football!!

So the cooling break is a thing then? How long do they get it for?

FIFA has the right to determine if you get cooling breaks. I hear that they give it if the temperature is above 32 °C. Today, it's as if it was 39 °C.

Never heard of cooling breaks actually happening. Thought the Dutch demands would fall on deaf ears tbh.

I wonder if any TV networks around the world went to a commercial break there? ITV didn't but there was an opportunity there similar to what you get with timeouts in the NBA

Cooling break doesn't bother me. I don't think it'll help much though overall.

There were talks of possible cooling breaks before the tournament, why are people so surprised?

There were talks of possible cooling breaks before the tournament, why are people so surprised?

Well it's about 50 games into the tournament before we've seen the first one... you'd think if we were going to get them, we'd get them before now.

FWIW, I'm not bothered by them. I think it's a good idea tbh, especially if its for the safety of the players. Their health and well being is more important than anything else, first and foremost. So long as it doesn't get ridiculous - one every 15 minutes or something - then I'm more than happy for the breaks to become a regular thing in warm climates like this.

Mexico look more likely to score a goal atm.

But you can't rule out a side with RvP and Robben, no matter what.

Well it's about 50 games into the tournament before we've seen the first one... you'd think if we were going to get them, we'd get them before now.

FWIW, I'm not bothered by them. I think it's a good idea tbh, especially if its for the safety of the players. Their health and well being is more important than anything else, first and foremost. So long as it doesn't get ridiculous - one every 15 minutes or something - then I'm more than happy for the breaks to become a regular thing in warm climates like this.

Isn't it the second one of the tournament? I can't remember what game had the first.

I wonder if any TV networks around the world went to a commercial break there? ITV didn't but there was an opportunity there similar to what you get with timeouts in the NBA

Norwegian tv did.

Fight!!!!!!!!!11

Not exactly Palacios but still a kick

Italy's demand in the match against England was refused.

Really? Seems stupid to reject one but accept another...

It's bizarre tbh. I was watching that game at work so I couldn't hear commentary, but the players looked absolutely knackered. A break would probably have helped more then than it would in this game.

The only thing that strikes me is that we got it after 30 minutes in this game... that means they'll need another in the second half, almost undoubtedly.

Really? Seems stupid to reject one but accept another...

It's bizarre tbh. I was watching that game at work so I couldn't hear commentary, but the players looked absolutely knackered. A break would probably have helped more then than it would in this game.

The only thing that strikes me is that we got it after 30 minutes in this game... that means they'll need another in the second half, almost undoubtedly.

I think FIFA said that it wasn't hot enough to give both teams a cooling break.

Just tuned in... Why are there so many empty seats? :o

Could it be people moving out of the sun? The shaded areas seem to be fairly full.

What a dive from Robben :lol:

Looked at the ref before going down ffs.

Oh, well Robben should have had a penalty afterall!

better pass and the Dutch are probably 1-0 up there

Such awful simulation though, Robben pretending he's been shot there.

Probably his reaction that made the referee call no pen.

Yeah first glance I thought definite dive, the replays definite pen

He didn't get a penalty because the dive and holding his leg looked ridiculous. Justice served.

Maybe penalty for the Dutch, defender kicked Robben's ankle

And It's Marquez, no surprise there

Moreno off is a big loss for Mexico :thdn:

Mexico got their tactics right for this. They might be able to edge it.

Some people don't understand the definition of diving or 'simulation' and should probably go and look it up

Speaking as someone who wants Mexico to go through...I think the high foot wasn't a penalty but the foul(s) on Robben are definites.

Lucky, but aside from that they've been better so far.

this BT ad with Bale and his hairband is probably enough to make people not want to get the channel :D

also it's misleading because BT will almost certaintly be charging when they have the CL

Speaking as someone who wants Mexico to go through...I think the high foot wasn't a penalty but the foul(s) on Robben are definites.

Lucky, but aside from that they've been better so far.

Yeah I agree with this word for word.

What an ugly bunch,better if they switched to camera back in the stadium watching crowd

MEXiCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!