I play in the Danish league and every time I try to negotiate contracts, the terms are always very high, making it impossible to buy good players and renegotiate contracts. This is not the main problem though. The problem is that players then get contracts with other club at a fraction of the asking price to me, which must be a bug in FM14.

Last example. Tried to buy a Swedish player. He asked for DKK 180.000 a month, which I declined. He then agreed a contract of DKK 36.000 with another club. This happens over and over again, which is a game breaker to me.

Negotiations can be tough but they are not impossible, there is certainly no inherent advantage given the to AI in respect to the player's minimum contract expectations.

If you're after some help then when you next encounter this problem take screenshots & make step-by-step notes detailing how you're approaching the contract negotiations & either myself or other people on the forum should be able to offer some advice on where you are going wrong.

If you want to take it a step further then before posting details of your approach to negotiations you could make a copy of your save available & name the player you've tried to sign, from there other people can attempt to sign the same player & results can be compared.

Of course it could be a bug in which case I'll be able to use the save to help improve future versions.

I am in general not overbidding and the example attached was actually far below the value. He started out with DKK 280.000 in base salary, with 45K in match bonus. I tried to counter, since I believe his salary should be more like DKK 70.000 with no more than 15.000 in match bonus. after a few try back and forth, we ended as attached. DKK 265.000 in salary and 40K in match bonus. I have declined.

He accepted DKK 77.500 and DKK 12K in match bonus. Something I would be more than willing to pay. See attached.

How do I make a save game available?? And I can't attach a picture??

You'll need to upload them to an image/file sharing site & then post links to them in this thread, if you're happy for just myself to take a look then you can upload the files to our ftp site, details on how can be found here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368795

Hi Alex

Just did..

The savegame is called Unavngivet spil (v3) and the 2 screenshots are called Salary bug ..

Look forward to hear if I am just a really lousy negotiator ;o) This is as already mentioned, just 1 example. It happens more or less all the time.

Hey, just thought i would chime in as i experience the same thing.. Whenever i try to sign a player the wage demand and the contract are simply ridiculous. The fun part is that to test i left contract negociations to my head of youth developement here are the results:

Gabriel barbosa 18 years old very interested in moving:

-If i try to negociate the contract: want Key player 103000 euro per month / 12K appearance (lol) / 1M loyalty bonus and some other bonus / 2 years contract

-Head of youth developement negociate: Hot prospect (lol) 10500 euros per month / 850 euro appearance / 500 K loyalty / 4 years contract with a 1 year extension

I checked my head of youth hidden he has "only" 9 in business, can't imagine if he had a high rating :) I have no idea why the game acts like that, might have to do with reputation (i am 75% national rep, he is continental) but this is a bit extreme. As much as i hate to loose control on the contracts the difference is so massive that i'm not approching an agent anytime soon :))

-If i try to negociate the contract: want Key player 103000 euro per month / 12K appearance (lol) / 1M loyalty bonus and some other bonus / 2 years contract
This is the player's opening gambit.
-Head of youth developement negociate: Hot prospect (lol) 10500 euros per month / 850 euro appearance / 500 K loyalty / 4 years contract with a 1 year extension
This is what the player was willing to accept.

The two are from either end of the negotiation process & at first glance it looks like you may have given up too easily, if you still have a save with this example can you upload a copy for me to take a look at as I'd want to definitively rule out any possible bugs in the system?

Post #5 has a link detailing where to upload save files, cheers.

Hi Alex

Just did..

The savegame is called Unavngivet spil (v3) and the 2 screenshots are called Salary bug ..

Look forward to hear if I am just a really lousy negotiator ;o) This is as already mentioned, just 1 example. It happens more or less all the time.

I've just taken a look & in this case the difference in wage is down to the player not being overly interested in a move to a club based on another continent & to a lesser extent a club outside of Argentina, he would be looking for a similar wage from other Argentine clubs had they decided to compete with Estudiantes for his signature, this is also the case with other clubs in Denmark who would be asked to pay a similar wage to yourself.

Another factor is that your board have set a budget of DKK415.000 per week for a key player, as Cerro is expecting Key Player status he is also expecting to be paid a Key Player wage.

To sum up the player & his agent are looking to get the most they can from any overseas club & are willing to give up on what they consider to be a middle of the road contract as the player is content with staying in his home nation.

I don't have anything useful to add, but just wanted to say I always enjoy these explanations. It shows how deep FM really is. Examples like this is where FM breathes life into my pixelated players and keeps me "hooked".

I find it is very unrealistic and has been for a while.

It is too dependent on reputation meaning it can be impossible to negotiate contract extentions at some clubs.

Players will often hold out for double their current contracts despite there being absolutely no interest in them from elsewhere. They will run down their contracts, refuse to budge on their unrealistic demands, leave the club the moment it expires, and end up retiring after a year or so after failing to find another club.

I don't have anything useful to add, but just wanted to say I always enjoy these explanations. It shows how deep FM really is. Examples like this is where FM breathes life into my pixelated players and keeps me "hooked".

That could be the case, or it could just be a very clever ruse to imply depth. ;)

I appreciate your explaination Alex but in my Chester save it has happened year after year. I've even tried lowering the transfer budget so that I can only offer a much lower amount for a Key Player. In the end they run down their contract and either retire or sign for a team in a lower league for much less than you were offering them.

I've had recent thread about the exact same thing. Even after a couple of promotions from the skrill prem to league 1 the same thing happened. The players just refused to budge on their demands and I often had to let 15 players a season go on free's and start over the following season. These same players then go and sign for a skrill north/south team ( far lower club reputation ), often for a quarter of what I was offering. I know many others that have ended up giving up on saves because of this very thing.

Not saying your explanation is nonsense, just that these are English/Welsh players who have come through the club youth system and are supporters of the club you are managing, so even after doing all of what you suggest it still happens year after year.

The other side to this is that they simply flatly refuse to sign for longer than a season, then go on to sign for these skrill north/south teams on a quarter of what I was offering ( between a sixth and an eigth of what they were demanding from me ), and they sign for 3 or 4 years.

I'm not sure why they are signing for other clubs on 3 or 4 year deals as clubs at that level are not able to offer more that 2 year contracts to players.

If you have a point showing this & it is towards the end of the season then please do upload a copy as I'd be interested in seeing what is going on & why.

One of the things that keeps coming up (it was broken for fm13 I think) was players not dropping their demands as their contract expiry loomed ever closer.

It used to work perfectly in fm12, with players drastically reducing their demands as they realised they were likely to end up without a club.

Also, do players still stay on with month to month contracts after they expire? I don't remember seeing this happen anymore. They always seem to leave immediately despite being very happy at the club.

One of the things that keeps coming up (it was broken for fm13 I think) was players not dropping their demands as their contract expiry loomed ever closer.

It used to work perfectly in fm12, with players drastically reducing their demands as they realised they were likely to end up without a club.

Also, do players still stay on with month to month contracts after they expire? I don't remember seeing this happen anymore. They always seem to leave immediately despite being very happy at the club.

This isn't entirely realistic though & ends up with a gamey situation where the manager just waits until the last minute because they know that the terms will be more favourable for the club as more time passes.

Once a player becomes a free agent then over time their contract demands may reduce as they try to get a new club, this isn't always the case as some players will have the attitude of "I'm not getting out of bed for less than £x."

The main aspect is that in game players do not all behave in the same way & I feel that this has been a massive step forward in terms of realism.

I've found this a bit odd too, after playing for a few seasons now. I use what the scouts estimate as a ballpark figure and always try to reduce their wages a fair bit during negotiations, while using other clauses that are perhaps less likely to take effect, like team of the year bonuses. But the wages they demand can be pretty eye-watering, especially when trying to extend contracts for your own players. Then I typically see players move to other clubs for much less than my scouts estimated, or what the player wanted in negotiations with me (and believe me, I do try to squeeze them).

There is also the "threat" or "danger" of the player/agent losing patience, so you're in a bad situation to start with.

Right now I tried to let the president handle contract negotations. Not exactly been a success so far as our best DC buggered off elsewhere on Bosman, quoting dislike of me, probably due to previous failed contract negotiations. But at least in this case, he was offered more than we could pay him, so that's fair I suppose.

Feels like a "between a rock and a hard place" situation, as I don't want to give up control of this and see the president give dross great money or poorly structured deals, but on the other hand it's a nightmare doing this yourself, and the players want ridiculous increases.

Take the little test game I had with Man Utd for a season or so. Tried giving Rooney a new contract, and that was challenging to say the least (harr-harr). In the end I think we agreed on 200k/week, plus a host of other clauses. Then I started my actual save, and I noticed Rooney got a new contract for 180k/week with no extra clauses besides matches, subs and goals. Much the same with other players I try to sign. In an attempt to lower their wage demands I give them other bonuses. We still can't reach a deal, and then I see him sign for another team with no clauses to speak of (just the basics) and a lower wage. What the...?

I also wonder why players who are on a free demand wages through the roof -- much, much higher than when they were still in a club. Of course, they typicall then don't get a club, and end up retiring a year or so later. Yay. Same with staff btw.

It wasn't really gamey though because the demands only dropped from unreasonable to around the same level they were already on.

I haven't seen players behaving in different ways that you refer to. In my experience they all behave exactly the same, and stubbornly refuse to drop their demands. You end of being forced to sign an entirely new squad over and over again, since you simply can't afford to extend the contracts of current players.

I can see that a lot of others have the same frustrating experience as me. It happens to me for all renewals and all signings and since this is such a huge part of the game, I have decided to not play FM14 again, because it ruins the game to a level where I believe it is unplayable.

If it actually is a bug and gets fixed, then I am back, but until that no..

I still play FM13 and it just happened to me. I let a 31 year old go because he wanted more money, despite being a lesser player than when I signed him on a free a year earlier.

It's happened on every version of FM for as long as I can remember. One of the most annoying quirks in the game, and I'm staggered nothing's ever done about it.