AI Experiment & Sign-up - 'Ez gara Espainiar, Eusko ari gara!'

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any new updates? I want to creep away from the bottom of the table!
Hopefully Dave is busy holidaying 20 years in to the future...

Haha! Sorry, yes there will be new updates tomorrow. I've had a little play around with seeing if we can avoid manager sackings (so that you guys have the only say in when they go) and I think it's all good!

SEASON 2013/14

100px-Basque_Football_Association_logo.png

COPA DEL EUSKAL HERRIA

Second Round

2014CopaR2.png

Non-league Spanish outfit Beasain stunned local rivals Aizkorri-Aratz in the shock of the round to make it through to the group stage. There were no other shocks to speak of, with all other matches being won by the arguable favourites. Athletic crushed Alavés' B side, but Genêts Anglet upstaged them, with a mammoth 11-0 win over Aurerra. Seven of our sixteen sides from the Liga del Euskal Herria have come through with two wins from two to reach the group stage, for which the draw is shown below.

2014CopaGABDraw.png

2014CopaGCDDraw.png

Group A is the undoubted group of death, then, with Spanish Primera sides Real Sociedad and Athletic Club the odds-on favourites to qualify. However, Real Santurtzi and Vitoria Unido are both keen to assert themselves top dogs in their respective cities, and will want to surprise the big boys. Don't write them off just yet! Group B is very open. Alavés, of the Spanish Segunda Liga, perhaps start as favourites, but Liga del Euskal Herria trio Atletico Tolosa, Bayonne Rovers and Santurtzi Nabigatzalleek will all fancy their chances of qualification. Osasuna should walk Group C, and Eibar should join them; both sides are professional outfits in Spain. French CFA side Genêts Anglet are by no means whipping boys, and neither are Segunda B side Barakaldo, but they'd both do well to reach the quarter finals. And that leaves us with Group D. SD Hendaia start as favourites, with SC Mañaria the next best bet for qualification. Irún side Real Unión will provide a possible challenge to their predicted success, but don't expect any fireworks from Beasain - the only non-league side left in the competition.

Only just through to the group stage, but happy to be drawn in Group D! Gotta think that I won't make it much further than the group stage, but at least my dreams of a cup run are still alive

Only just through to the group stage, but happy to be drawn in Group D! Gotta think that I won't make it much further than the group stage, but at least my dreams of a cup run are still alive

I'm also very happy with Group D. Probably the most easy one. I expect that my SD Hendaia will go trough without much difficulties.

Proud of Santurtzi for beating a strong Getxo side to qualify but we weren't exactly rewarded an easy group!

We will be happy with 3rd, getting a result against either of the big Spanish sides would be nice though.

I think a tough group like this might put a strain on the squad. I hope to be proved wrong but we might finally see Santurtzi dropping off in the league.

SEASON 2013/14

PAYS BASQUE NATIONAL TEAM

Ukraine (A) - 11 October 2013 (Friendly)

Several changes made for the friendly in Ukraine, as goalkeeper Santamaría, three of the back four (with the exception of Carlos Martínez) and the midfield trio are all players making their debuts. Still no call-ups for domestically based players, but as the stature of the league increases, this is sure to change. Here is the team in full:

Starting XI: Santamaría (Ponferradina); Ekiza, Balenziaga (Athletic), Martínez (R. Sociedad), Albizua (Numancia); Errasti (Eibar), Iturraspe, Pérez; Toquero, De Marcos (Athletic), Prieto (R. Sociedad). Bench: Olazábal (Barcelona), Oier, Riesgo, Satrustegui (Osasuna), González, Agirretxe, Zaldua, Markel (R. Sociedad), Iraizoz, Sola, Susaeta, Gurpegi (Athletic), Isma (Sporting de Gíjon), San José, Sola, Gómez (Athletic).

2014NTUkraineScore.png

A bit scrappy, a bit underwhelming, and it could be argued a bit undeserved, but it is a win for Pays Basque, and one which will give them plenty of confidence. Gaizka Toquero netted his second in two as the spearhead of the three-pronged attack, while debutant Roberto Santamaría produced a brilliant man-of-the-match performance between the sticks. Eneko Satrustegui came on as a substitute late in the game for his debut, and there are plenty of options with international game experience now for manager Deschamps to choose from. With a few more friendlies to come before competitive football starts next autumn, the Basque look well on course for some success.

2014NTUkraineStats.png

SEASON 2013/14

Poland (H) - 15 October 2013 (Friendly)

Another goalkeeping debut, this time in the form of Barcelona stopper Oier Olazábel; with no place for Ukraine hero Santamaría in the XI. Debuts also for the centre back pairing of Mikels; San José and González. Here is the team in full:

Starting XI: Olazábal (Barcelona); San José, Balenziaga (Athletic), Martínez, González (R. Sociedad); Errasti (Eibar), Iturraspe, Pérez; Toquero, Gómez (Athletic), Agirretxe (R. Sociedad). Bench: Santamaría (Ponferradina), Oier, Riesgo, Satrustegui (Osasuna), Albizua (Numancia), Prieto, Zaldua, Markel (R. Sociedad), Iraizoz, Sola, Susaeta, Gurpegi (Athletic), Isma (Sporting de Gíjon), Ekiza, Sola, De Marcos (Athletic).

2014NTPolandScore.png

Perhaps a little unfortunate to lose this one, the Basque. They were a match for their visitors in terms of both possession and chances, and were value for at least a draw. Unfortunately, they were already a goal down before substitute Kike Sola grabbed their only consolation. A mouthwatering double-header of friendlies against arch-rivals Spain, home and away, are to follow next month. Deshamps will be hoping 2014 can go out with a bang.

2014NTPolandStats.png

SEASON 2013/14

LIGA DEL EUSKAL HERRIA

5 October 2013

2014LigaMatch7.png

Atletico Tolosa claimed their first victory of the season with a crushing win away at title hopefuls Athletic Irún, with the 4-1 scoreline raising more than a few eyebrows. Real Iruña earned just their second win of the season away to disappointing Beasain side Aizkorri-Aratz, and Saint-Jean de Luz continued their impressive early season form in Vitoria, where they were pegged back twice by Unido before Ander Sanz scored the winner in the second half. Red Bull Bilbo put four past a worryingly poor Real Santurtzi, while SC Mañaria produced a stirring late show to earn a point at RCD Errenteria.

19 October 2013

2014LigaMatch8.png

The top sides had a good week, with victories for Saint-Jean de Luz, Real Santurtzi and Athletic Irún. Joseba García was on target twice as Real Iruña won again, while Club de Biarritz and RB Bilbo had to settle for a point each in the battle for the top six. RCD Errenteria, who had been slipping down the table, claimed a valuable three points in Tolosa, and SC Mañaria continued their good month with a comprehensive victory over SD Hendaia.

26 October 2013

2014LigaMatch9.png

Saint-Jean de Luz showed this week why they really are the early-season favourites, with a huge 4-0 victory over Errenteria. Athletic Irún kept the pressure on with a single goal win in Pamplona, while Club de Biarritz and Getxo KKE refreshed their claims for a top-six finish with 2-0 victories, thanks to braces from Borja García and Asier Goiria respectively. Bayonne Rovers have quietly climbed into the top half of the table after an unbeaten month, and have now only lost once in the last six. Santurtzi Nabigatzalleek remain bottom after a worrying start, despite claiming a point against SD Hendaia.

League Table

2014LigaOctober.png

That's a bit more like it! 2 wins and a draw for Mañaria to get our season up and running..

Looks a lot like Saint-Jean de Luz are the team to beat at this stage, though it is still early days.

SEASON 2013/14

Spain (H) - 15 November 2013 (Friendly)

This is the big one then; Pays Basque's first ever match against arch-rivals and former countrymen Spain. Two debuts, and one of them is a big one. Ander Herrera comes in for his first international game, in a match where he could have been wearing either strip. He plumped for the home kit, to the delight of the whole of Pays Basque. He is joined in starting his first ever game by Norwich's right back Javier Garrido. Here is the team in full:

Starting XI: Iraizoz; San José (Athletic), Garrido (Norwich), Martínez, González; Markel (R. Sociedad), Iturraspe, Herrera; Sola, Gómez (Athletic), Prieto (R. Sociedad). Bench: Riesgo, Flaño, Onwu (Osasuna), Ros, Zaldua (R. Sociedad), Castañeda (Ponferredina), De Marcos, Herrerín, Ekiza, Gurpegi (Athletic), Isma (Sporting de Gíjon), Viguera (Alavés).

2014NTSpainScore-1.png

So, so close! It was a match that, really, Pays Basque can count themselves unlucky not to win. They were the better team, and had the most chances, and may claim moral victory in that Spain's scorer, Fernando Llorente, is also a Euskaldun. Miguel Flaño came on to make his debut late on, as the Basque pushed for a winner, but it wasn't to be. They'll have another chance in Spain next week.

2014NTSpainStats.png

Wow, Real Santurtzi coming true on my prediction of collapsing..

except I predicted it to be because of the extra cup fixtures, and they haven't even happened yet. Hopefully they regain some form and stay near to the top

I'm starting to get doubts about the manager. 2 loses and a draw against the bottom team? Far from enough. The results in the cup will determinate his future.

If I decide to sack my manager. How can I find a new one?

I'm starting to get doubts about the manager. 2 loses and a draw against the bottom team? Far from enough. The results in the cup will determinate his future.

If I decide to sack my manager. How can I find a new one?

You can sack at any point, and when you do I'll give you a list of the ten highest CA as well as five highest PA among unemployed managers (well, the manager's name and details, not the actual CA and PA values themselves, to add a little bit of intrigue!) and it'll be up to you to pick one from the list. We'll assume that all unemployed managers in the world would relish the change of working for a Basque club, so don't worry that reputation etc may be a bit big.

Salary though will be done manually, based on the salary of the former manager, and adjusted for the new manager's CA.

SEASON 2013/14

COPA DEL EUSKAL HERRIA

Group Stage

16 November 2013

2014CopaG1.png

17 November 2013

2014CopaG1b.png

In Group A, Real Sociedad found themselves 3-0 down at home to Athletic after less than half an hour, and despite a brace from Basque international Imanol Aggiretxe, were unable to rescue the situation. It's not a huge concern just yet, as they should expect to beat both Liga del Euskal Herria sides, but they'll have a little added tension now going into those games. In the other match, between two Basque Liga sides short of form, Vitoria Unido beat Real Santurtzi 2-0 after a fast start. Real have it all to do now. Group B was adjudged to be the most open when the group stage was drawn, and so it was proved to be, after all four sides end the first gameweek on a point apiece. Bayonne Rovers will feel like theirs is the best, being earned away to Spanish Segunda side Alavés. Eibar and Osasuna, the two clear favourites in Group C, both began with 2-0 away victories. It really is difficult to see any scenario in which either of those two fail to qualify. And in Group D, non-league Beasain earned a creditable draw at home to Real Unión, while SD Hendaia got back to winning ways in Mañaria. Despite the defeat, Los Mármoles are still in with a good shout of qualification, with Real Unión likely to pose them no larger problems than they face domestically.

2014CopaGAB1.png

2014CopaGCD1-1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Starting a Sign-up

•Consider the amount of time it will take to run the sign-up. Don't create half a dozen sign-ups and expect to be able to run them all at once.

•Make it original. Original ideas are going to get more people taking part.

•Use the Ideas Thread to gauge how popular your sign-up is going to be.

•Make sure you tell people in your opening post what details you want them to include when signing up. It helps to know the basic attributes and their effects such as CA and PA.

•Set a public schedule and stick to it. Tell people if you are going away and unable to continue the sign-up during that time.

•Play a test game to see any problems that could arise.

•If you require those who sign up to email you, make sure they know how to do so.

•Be consistent in your style of update. It helps to provide as much information as possible/necessary to help the sign-up thrive.

•If you intend to abandon the sign-up for whatever reason, tell those who are taking part. Don't leave them in the dark and let the thread die.

Sticking to those rules is all well and good, and I can only assume Dave will have intended to but I'm sure we all know that real life can sometimes throw us curveballs that get in the way of less important things like football manager sign-ups.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt

Sticking to those rules is all well and good, and I can only assume Dave will have intended to but I'm sure we all know that real life can sometimes throw us curveballs that get in the way of less important things like football manager sign-ups.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt

I was going to say exactly this.. Real life gets in the way a hell of a lot, and I imagine this is a pretty time consuming sign up to run - so I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• 8 months later...

Archived