Group F - Bosnia vs Iran & Nigeria vs Argetina

gillsminnow

Traditionally the best defence wins the World Cup...

France have the best defence of the big nations, although at the same time they've also faced the easiest challenges.

I agree but no real good defenses in this World Cup, and as you said France have faced only easy opponents.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aha, fair enough :D I've got more exposure to the PL than lower leagues by some distance.

Remember in the Premier League we have a ton of foreign managers and players. They no doubt prefer their own traditions. #4 at centre-back is traditional in most of Europe, I think, so that could be why you see it more in the Premier League.

It's actually quite interesting how our traditional use of squad numbers came about. In the past, teams literally lined up in formations where the numbers were in order but as formations changed we moved those numbers around (pyramid 2-3-5 shape to WM to 4-4-2 etc.). Different countries moved the numbers around in different ways (hence #4 means something different to us traditionally compared to Argentina).

I recommend reading Inverting the Pyramid if you are at all interested in this kind of thing. It's super nerdy but good if you're interested in the history of the game up to the modern day.

I recommend reading Inverting the Pyramid if you are at all interested in this kind of thing. It's super nerdy but good if you're interested in the history of the game up to the modern day.

I've read it :D Although it was a while back so my memory is a bit hazy on the whole numbering chapters. I knew that moving in different ways was to blame for numbers being so vastly different between some countries and continents, but I (obviously mistakenly) thought that all defenders moved in the same way.

Shame that an incorrect offside goal in the NGA v BIH game has cost the Bosnia side a place in the last 16. I don't rate this Nigeria squad one bit - they'll go out at the very first hurdle (France, though, so that's sorta expected :D).

Think Di María needs a goal to calm himself down.

Messi off. Ffs, some of us need him to get topscorer :(

He will have his chances in the playoff games as he will keep his cool while other goalscorers will feel the pressure.

Archived