Group F - Bosnia vs Iran & Nigeria vs Argetina

gillsminnow

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strange how Zabaleta wears #4... wears #5 for City and is a right back, traditionally assigned number 2 or 5. #4 is a CBs number... or is this because South America numbers positions differently to Europe? I didn't think the defence was different mind you, just thought it was the attack.

#4 is traditionally a central midfielder's number in British context. #5 and #6 are centre-backs. #2 and #3 fullbacks.

But yeah, in Argentina #4 is traditionally for a right-back. See here - http://www.football-lineups.com/numbering/

People say Brazil are being carried by Neymar but at least other Brazilians are scoring goals.

Argentina being carried by Messi atm.

If Argentina really do go far, especially if they win it, the Maradona comparisons won't exactly die out :lol:

Hopefully this will annoy Ronaldo enough for him to go into crazy mode and smash Ghana. As I really want a Portugal v Argentina Semi Final :)

Until USA draw vs Germany and it ends up not mattering anyway :brock:

Actually had a bet prior to the tournament kicking off with Messi to finish top goalscorer and Argentina to win the WC.

Messi now joint top scorer and Argentina nearly into the last 16.

Though only Messi is performing, at least up front anyway. Need Aguero, Di Maria and Higiuan to step it up.

#4 is a central midfielders number in British context. #5 and #6 are centre-backs.

But yeah, in Argentina #4 is right-back. See here - http://www.football-lineups.com/numbering/

Interesting, thanks.

Disagree with the central midfielders being #4 though - maybe that used to be the case but barring Fabregas I can't think of a central midfielder who has worn 4 in recent years. Other examples of #4 from last season alone include - Vincent Kompany, Phil Jones, Per Mertesacker, Kolo Touré, Younes Kaboul...

Only central midfielder wearing #4 I can think of is Darron Gibson and he's not even a footballer :D

e: in fact, the link you provided confirms that #4 is a classic CM, although it doesn't actually cover the modern way (which is #4 at CB).

Actually had a bet prior to the tournament kicking off with Messi to finish top goalscorer and Argentina to win the WC.

Messi now joint top scorer and Argentina nearly into the last 16.

Though only Messi is performing, at least up front anyway. Need Aguero, Di Maria and Higiuan to step it up.

Di María doing well today though.

I predicted Argentina to win the WC and the way Messi is producing moments of magic makes me think they probably will... but still a few teams who can knock them off their perch. I think France and Germany are the two main European contenders.

Interesting, thanks.

Disagree with the central midfielders being #4 though - maybe that used to be the case but barring Fabregas I can't think of a central midfielder who has worn 4 in recent years. Other examples of #4 from last season alone include - Vincent Kompany, Phil Jones, Per Mertesacker, Kolo Touré, Younes Kaboul...

Only central midfielder wearing #4 I can think of is Darron Gibson and he's not even a footballer :D

Steven Gerrard's number for England has been #4. Can't think of other examples off the top of my head right now.

I watch a lot of English Non-League football where there are no permanent squad numbers (beneath the Conference) and they typically name 1-17 (16 squad members, usually missing #13 in favour of #17). 99% of teams name a midfield #4 (usually their more defensive-minded midfielder). So I'm used to this more traditional approach to squad numbers.

In the Premier League, for example, it's all over the place though. They don't really follow traditions all that closely any more. I guess that's true of most top flight leagues.

In the World Cup, I suspect it comes out a bit more as teams give squad numbers just for the tournament and usual do so with their first choice team in mind.

Steven Gerrard's number for England has been #4. Can't think of other examples off the top of my head right now.

I watch a lot of English Non-League football where there are no permanent squad numbers (beneath the Conference) and they typically name 1-17 (16 squad members, usually missing #13 in favour of #17). 99% of teams name a midfield #4 (usually their more defensive-minded midfielder). So I'm used to this more traditional approach to squad numbers.

In the Premier League, for example, it's all over the place though. They don't really follow traditions all that closely any more. I guess that's true of most top flight leagues.

In the World Cup, I suspect it comes out a bit more as teams give squad numbers just for the tournament and usual do so with their first choice team in mind.

Aha, fair enough :D I've got more exposure to the PL than lower leagues by some distance.

2-2, this has been quite a good game despite me missing the first two goals :D

Nigeria showing why Argentina aren't winning this world cup

If bad defenses mean a team won't win the World Cup, then nobody will win this one. :D

If bad defenses mean a team won't win the World Cup, then nobody will win this one. :D

Traditionally the best defence wins the World Cup...

France have the best defence of the big nations, although at the same time they've also faced the easiest challenges.

Archived