Should Suarez be banned from football?

jmr

Should he be banned from football?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should he be banned from football?

It's FIFA. The governing body of football, if they want to ban someone across multiple organisations they can. FA won't challenge it, neither will other FAs around the world. Only ones to possibly challenge such a ban would be Liverpool, and giving how much Suarez has dragged their name through the mud in recent years I very much doubt they'd want their name to be associated with such a act in such a bright light so would most likely accept whatever ban comes their way (like the last ban).

Do you think Liverpool would just accept a 12 month ban for a player like Suarez, when his actions did not happen when he was playing for Liverpool or in England? Not a chance they would, almost no club would. There is almost no precedent for a player being banned from domestic football because of an incident in international football, it wouldnt be as clear cut as FIFA can just ban him from every comp for as long as they want too.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Biting penetrates the skin and can pass on diseases, it is a totally different form of assault. I don't actually remember anyone being properly headbutted during a game either, they're usually just little coming together of heads which results in one being dramatic and rolling around on the floor. Obviously you can't use your head to harm another player so people are rightly sent off, but I don't remember anything being remotely as bad as say Ben Thatcher's elbow which was just full on assault.

Genuine question: why is biting seen as worse than a headbutt? I know I and most other people I imagine would rather be bitten slightly than headbutted! Why is it seen as worse?

I don't think it's worse. But depends on the bite, eg see Tyson.

But I think this will be fascinating now- Suarez had the England reaction before, now he faces his own Uruguyian teammates, (and that he might have cost them an opportunity at the World Cup) , and the world.

But I think this will be fascinating now- Suarez had the England reaction before, now he faces his own Uruguyian teammates, (and that he might have cost them an opportunity at the World Cup) , and the world.

The Uruguayan press and manager seems to be behind him, blaming the English media. Which is a tad odd, but not unexpected.

Can´t see his teammates blaming him. He helped them to the knock out stages, they´d be thankful rather.

Thanks, reading up on it, he went to prison for this

So yeah, kind of backs up the point that properly headbutting somebody to the point of it being considered assault very rarely happens during a game

Aye the only player to ever go to jail for headbutting a player. Not that i agreed with his jail time, a ban would have been more than enough. I would have said Thatchers was far worse than Fergusons headbutt.

Surely ANY headbutt is assault, no matter how hard you hit the person?

Aye the only player to ever go to jail for headbutting a player. Not that i agreed with his jail time, a ban would have been more than enough. I would have said Thatchers was far worse than Fergusons headbutt.

Surely ANY headbutt is assault, no matter how hard you hit the person?

I don't know the full story buy surely the other player involved would have needed to get the police involved in order for Ferguson to have ended up in prison. I agree Thatchers was worse, but I don't think Mendes got the police involved.

Not all physical contact is considering assault, would you regard someone giving a little dig to someones arm the sames as a knock out punch to the head?

FIFA has officially opened a disciplinary investigation.

Suarez/Uruguay can submit their position and any evidence until 5 pm Wednesday, Brasilia time.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2014/m=6/news=disciplinary-proceedings-opened-against-luis-suarez-2384766.html

So, he can still play against Colombia and take Uruguay to the quarter-final? And how long until FIFA makes a decision? Please be after the final. :D

I don't know the full story buy surely the other player involved would have needed to get the police involved in order for Ferguson to have ended up in prison. I agree Thatchers was worse, but I don't think Mendes got the police involved.

Not all physical contact is considering assault, would you regard someone giving a little dig to someones arm the sames as a knock out punch to the head?

No the Police charged him themselves, without the player complaining. The SFA didnt stop them and it caused a huge fall out. It didnt help that he had previous for assault, but still, he should have never gone to jail.

I cant think of any reason for sticking your head into another person unless its to either kiss them, or to try and assault them, no matter the level of contact. Jibbing someone in the arm is very different i would have said.

I still think its a bit much to call for a worldwide ban, especially when you consider the Thatcher incident. Thatcher could have killed Mendes, but there were no calls for him to be banned from football full stop.

Gilles De Bilde probably still the most insane person to ever play football.

In a match between Anderlecht and Aalst in December 1996, he punched Krist Porte in the face, which broke his nose and injured his eye.[3] Previously, De Bilde received a suspended two-year prison sentence in 1992 for head-butting two boy scout leaders and, four months before the Porte incident, he head-butted one nurse and punched another when he was denied access to a hospital room his father was in, having suffered a brain haemorrhage.[

A couple of years ago he was also convicted for assaulting his wife and one of his daughters.

Some people on this forum :D Listening to the radio on my way to work and the amount of player and ex players faling over themselves to remind us that he's a great player is sickening.

The Ben Thatcher incident is most likely the only thing I've seen thats worse that what Suarez has done. Possibly Pepe too.

It seems like he can't control himself, and that puts every player he comes up against at risk. He shouldn't be playing.

I don't think biting is as bad as a horror challenge or a proper headbutt (none of this bumping head nonsense footballers do), but he's bitten someone three ****ing times :D The guy is a lunatic. Like there is something seriously wrong in his head and he shouldn't be allowed to play football until he's gone through a decent psychotherapy program. It's not just the biting either, the horror tackles he puts in are some of the worst in the league, the snide stuff he does like booting Scott Parker in the chest or trying to gauge Ivanovic's eyes out are pure scum behaviour. If it was just the biting (WHAT AM I EVEN SAYING? :D :D ) then OK, maybe a 3 month ban, but with everything else I'd love to see him never play again, The guy is scum, subhuman scum and anyone defending him is as well.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz740a_luis-suarez-not-just-a-diver_sport#.UXVdwMqDx8E

Utterly disgusting this coming from a Liverpool fan i am shocked he has done this now 3 times its insane and on the biggest stage of all. My view throw the book at him and Uruguay out the World Cup. Yes he is a World Class player but he is tarnishing his country, the game and his club. Personally i think John W Henry might get involved when the dust settles and tell Brendan Rodgers that Liverpool can sell him and recoup the money in another World Class striker..if anybody will have him after this.

Utterly disgusting this coming from a Liverpool fan i am shocked he has done this now 3 times its insane and on the biggest stage of all. My view throw the book at him and Uruguay out the World Cup. Yes he is a World Class player but he is tarnishing his country, the game and his club. Personally i think John W Henry might get involved when the dust settles and tell Brendan Rodgers that Liverpool can sell him and recoup the money in another World Class striker..if anybody will have him after this.

Why would you throw Uruguay out of the World Cup? Was it the nations fault that Suarez bit someone? Would you have accepted Liverpool being thrown out of the PL when he bit Ivanovic or racially abuse Evra?

Why would you throw Uruguay out of the World Cup? Was it the nations fault that Suarez bit someone? Would you have accepted Liverpool being thrown out of the PL when he bit Ivanovic or racially abuse Evra?

They could have come out & said that they would discipline the player, that they feel his actions were unacceptable & they would support any action that FIFA wished to take against him.

That's the sensible thing to do. They've pretty much tried to claim it's a witch hunt & that Chiellini made it all up & the English Press have run with the story out of spite.

With that in mind, then yeah, I'd have no problems with sanctioning Uruguay as a team as well.

They could have come out & said that they would discipline the player, that they feel his actions were unacceptable & they would support any action that FIFA wished to take against him.

That's the sensible thing to do. They've pretty much tried to claim it's a witch hunt & that Chiellini made it all up & the English Press have run with the story out of spite.

With that in mind, then yeah, I'd have no problems with sanctioning Uruguay as a team as well.

So they have done what Liverpool did is defend first and find out whats actually happened next. No surprise there really.

Again tho, would people have accepted Liverpool being thrown out of the PL because they supported Suarez? Would that have really been a fair sanction? Where would it go from here as well? Take the Thatcher incident, would you ban his club or nation if he did that during a game? Do we start thinking of banning clubs and nations as acceptable punishments for players poor actions on the field?

Are you trying to make the point that the psychiatrist he saw was bad at his job? What an absoltuly idiotic post, if so

I'm saying they clearly must have not delved deep enough, as a year later he's biting someone again. Wouldn't be the first time in society where someones been signed off to only re-offend and the initial sign off to come about highlighting key issues that shouldn't have seen them signed off.

I'm saying they clearly must have not delved deep enough, as a year later he's biting someone again. Wouldn't be the first time in society where someones been signed off to only re-offend and the initial sign off to come about highlighting key issues that shouldn't have seen them signed off.

Idiotic post it is, then.

So they have done what Liverpool did is defend first and find out whats actually happened next. No surprise there really.

Again tho, would people have accepted Liverpool being thrown out of the PL because they supported Suarez? Would that have really been a fair sanction? Where would it go from here as well? Take the Thatcher incident, would you ban his club or nation if he did that during a game? Do we start thinking of banning clubs and nations as acceptable punishments for players poor actions on the field?

Throwing a club/country out of a cup competition is different to throwing a club out of a league competition.

Personally, I'd be happy with Clubs/Countries being thrown out of cup competitions if they refused to accept any kind of responsibility for their actions & hitting them with heavy sanctions in league competitions.

Of course that is dependent on how clubs/countries deal with the situations themselves. If they can be seen to have taken action against the individuals & attempted to prevent the incidents from occurring in the future, then they'd be treated more leniently.

It's not just this forum though?

It's come up from other people today I work with that they feel he ought to be banned for life.

If you look at other forums, twitter, blogs, the press & the media in general, a lot of people are actually asking the question of "how many times is too many times?"

If you have medical professionals with years of experience saying things like it's hard wired into him & that it will happen again, then of course it's only fair for people to discuss it in this way.

Have you thought for a second that maybe it's not us lot that have the issue, but the likes of yourself & Divinity who are incapable of actually looking at it without your clouded auto reaction of wanting to defend a Liverpool player?

It's not just this forum though?

It's come up from other people today I work with that they feel he ought to be banned for life.

If you look at other forums, twitter, blogs, the press & the media in general, a lot of people are actually asking the question of "how many times is too many times?"

If you have medical professionals with years of experience saying things like it's hard wired into him & that it will happen again, then of course it's only fair for people to discuss it in this way.

Have you thought for a second that maybe it's not us lot that have the issue, but the likes of yourself & Divinity who are incapable of actually looking at it without your clouded auto reaction of wanting to defend a Liverpool player?

I'm not defending him, I'm criticising the fake outrage that happens. Albeit hilarious, it's over the top.

Throwing a club/country out of a cup competition is different to throwing a club out of a league competition.

Personally, I'd be happy with Clubs/Countries being thrown out of cup competitions if they refused to accept any kind of responsibility for their actions & hitting them with heavy sanctions in league competitions.

Of course that is dependent on how clubs/countries deal with the situations themselves. If they can be seen to have taken action against the individuals & attempted to prevent the incidents from occurring in the future, then they'd be treated more leniently.

Well surely we should let the Uruguayan FA deal with it, before we start kicking them out of the tournament, no? Its only been one day since it happened.

I dont really see how the Uruguayan FA could have prevented this from happening tbh, so again i dont see any need to kick them out of the tournament. Its an extremely dangerous route to go down for any future incidents.

Can anyone really state what the rules allow? There seems to be a lot of guff about this 24 match or 24 month rule, the idea that only some other organisation can request a ban from all international and domestic competition, and looking at the code there seems to be an option for a ban from all "football-related activities" but that doesn't seem to have a time limit. Poor unclear rules lead to legal challenges and even if Uruguay or Liverpool didn't challenge anything, surely Suarez could do so himself?

That's just absolutely ridiculous.

There are governing bodies for a reason. A club shouldn't be expected to condemn their own player before he's even found guilty fgs, he's their employee and asset. And no club or country is responsible for the actions of individuals. Letting his punishment be influenced by how his country or club reacted before even any kind of disciplinary hearing, is just complete rubbish.

Take the Thatcher incident, would you ban his club or nation if he did that during a game? Do we start thinking of banning clubs and nations as acceptable punishments for players poor actions on the field?

Not agreeing with what is being said, but we actually banned Thatcher ourselves after the incident and didn't wait for any decision from the FA, you won't see Uruguay or Liverpool do the same

Hardly surprising is it? Some Liverpool fans (Ok rawk) are saying it isn't even a bite. Some of that lot are as mental as the man himself.
RAWK Meltdown

24 minutes ago

(Suarez again)

Reality: Coming together with both to blame, perhaps a hint of a headbutt from Luis (playing devils advocate) but ultimately, nothing.

Press/FA/UEFA/FIFA reality: Suarez severed his artery, laid a Glasgow kiss on him and went on a murderous rampage.

I've watched it again and again and the problem is (and please don't take this as me being flippant, as its not) is look at Luis's skull shape - he does have protruding teeth and the angle his head hits, his mouth will come into contact with the shoulder as he was falling into him face first. None of this of course will be taken into account as it will be more fun for the press to hound and slaughter him on the premise that he has previous. Batten down the hatches boys, as the filthy hoardes of the common gutter cockroach press are going to be coming out in force.

RAWK Meltdown

30 minutes ago

(Suarez again)

It's not a bite you self-righteous, knicker-wetting fanny! Get it right, he just pushed his face in with his mouth open. Of course his (larger than normal) teeth made slight contact.

Let's not blow this out of proportion, people around the world would have died today.

WIurW.gif

That's just absolutely ridiculous.

There are governing bodies for a reason. A club shouldn't be expected to condemn their own player before he's even found guilty fgs, he's their employee and asset. And no club or country is responsible for the actions of individuals. Letting his punishment be influenced by how his country or club reacted before even any kind of disciplinary hearing, is just complete rubbish.

I disagree with the idea of throwing a club/country out for something like this when it's related to a lone nutjob but it's already an accepted principle that clubs, at least, can be held accountable for failing to control their players, while I'm sure that clubs have also been hit over poor fan behaviour.

I'm not defending him, I'm criticising the fake outrage that happens. Albeit hilarious, it's over the top.

What about it is over the top?

Why do you feel it's unreasonable for people to want somebody that medical professionals are saying will almost definitely bite another player in the future to not be given that opportunity?

I disagree with the idea of throwing a club/country out for something like this when it's related to a lone nutjob but it's already an accepted principle that clubs, at least, can be held accountable for failing to control their players, while I'm sure that clubs have also been hit over poor fan behaviour.

how can you control the uncontrollable?

Suarez hurts himself, his career and his country the most. If he can't abstain from biting someone with that in mind, how could a club prevent that sort of behaviour?

How Uruguayan press/team/manager can keep defending someone that's done this three times now, is beyond me.

It's strange because people seem hesitant to condemn him because he's a brilliant footballer. Bite someone once in regional divisions and you'll be banned for years, if not for life, on the first offence. And rightfully so.

How Uruguayan press/team/manager can keep defending someone that's done this three times now, is beyond me.

It's strange because people seem hesitant to condemn him because he's a brilliant footballer. Bite someone once in regional divisions and you'll be banned for years, if not for life, on the first offence. And rightfully so.

I dont think anyone, bar the mentalists on RAWK, are hesitant to condone him at all, but the calls for kicking him out of football full stop are over the top imo.

• Administrators
but the calls for kicking him out of football full stop are over the top imo.

What if he does it a fourth or a fifth time? Might sound ridiculous but then so is biting someone in the first place, let alone THREE TIMES :D

Archived